Possible new sharer coming today

MasterBenedict

Visit site
Hi, hoping some people with experiencing sharing/loaning from either side might have a few words of wisdom....

I have a potential sharer coming to visit and try out my young horse today, just wondering what I should be doing/showing/asking her as I've never done this before! I already know she has her own insurance, are there any other big things I should be asking?

Thanks in advance :)

Scoti1420

Visit site
Not questions as such, but I would provide the equipment then step back, so you can watch them tack up etc and make sure they know what they are doing! (Unless your horse has vices that they should be made aware of first).

No advice for questions, my trial was literally I tacked up, rode, and said I wanted to share and that was that! :)

Lexi_

Visit site
Monty was already tied up outside his stable when I came to try him. I tacked him up and rode, then turned him out in the field afterwards, had a chat to his owner and the sharer of her other horse and we were all sorted! I had a good look around the yard and facilities and asked her loads of questions as I'm the sort of person who likes to know where things are and what my routine is going to be, especially if I'm up there by myself.

(I know you're supposed to get the owner to ride first so you can see what the horse is like but she had done her back in at the time so I just got on with it.)

OP, I guess just make sure you're happy with each other and don't be afraid to say no if the fit isn't right!

Highlands

Visit site
Get her to tack up and watch how she is , too many questions may throw her as she may be nervous , riding a strange horse in front of someone may be scary enough

StoptheCavalry

Visit site
Interested to read this as I have someone coming to look at mine for share on Thursday followed by another possible two others. Would you insist on the insurance before they even came to try? It is something I will ask for if they share but seems a bit unfair if they turn out not to be suitable? Sorry to hijack..

AngelitoCaz

Visit site
Just watch her and see how they do but remember that it is nerve wracking, when I went to try a share once I had to check that the noseband went under the cheek pieces I'd tacked up a million times before but had a complete mind blank, she was just pleased I'd asked about something I wasn't sure on.

Pippity

Visit site
Also, you're going to be working closely with this person. They may be the most competent horseperson on the planet, but do you actually LIKE them?

MasterBenedict

Visit site
Thanks for the advice, she has been now and was lovely and just what I'm looking for. Unfortunately I think my horse may have been a bit slow and boring for her, and she has one more to try at a different yard tomorrow. Fingers crossed though! :)