Post Colic Surgery Belly Band

La Fiaba

hosteldog.blogspot.com
Hi all, does anyone know where you can buy a belly band? Only ones I have found online are in the states, would prefer something closer to home as need it asap. I have done an extensive google search this morning but nothing coming up apart from the american sites. Thanks for any help!

2horsesnomoney

Visit site
Your vet or the vet that did the colic surgery should be able to recommend or order something for you. They tend to be available in the UK to vets only.

However please discuss this with your vet before using one they are occassionally contraindicated post surgery - due to healing and infection risks.

Chocy

Visit site
Presuming horse wore 1 after the surgery will let vets not let u borrow that 1- they could order another 1 for themselves & bill u 4 it?

merry mischief

Visit site
The operating vet should be able to loan you one, who did the op? Be careful and only do on vets advice as my horse swelled enormously post op but it was a huge amount of puss from a very nasty infection that had to be drained so a belly band would of made it worse. Hope this helps fell free to pm if u need a chat x

Zerotolerance

Visit site
Mine still wearing his for another few weeks. Cost approx £150 + vat for loan from vets, has to be returned when finished with. Major heavy duty with about 8 cranked velcro straps and thick felt pad under. (Didn't wear one after previous surgery 6 years ago.) Would check with vets who performed surgery first. If they okay it I could ask mine where they source them but look pretty much made to measure as they had loads of different sizes.

La Fiaba

hosteldog.blogspot.com
Thank you everyone for your help. Horse belongs to a friend, colic surgery was a couple of months ago now but wound is not healing well at all. Clinic where surgery was done will not supply the band (we are not in UK) and home-made attempts at keeping the wound covered are not going well.

I have found a spanish company that supply the same bands as the clinic so I think she is going to buy one from them. I will advise her to speak to her vet first though, but it wouldnt surprise me if vet has told her to source the band herself. (Once my vet suggested an x-ray for one of my horses, then asked if I knew anyone who would have an x-ray machine! Only in Italy!)

Thank you all very much for your help, he is her baby and she is devestated seeing him so bad :(

rachi0

Visit site
If you are desperate for one... you can use elastoplast and gamgee - i have a mare that had an emergency c section - all the belly bands were too big so we have to use that to give her the support she needs -

if not... this is the belly band we bought http://www.cmequineproducts.com/

saturdaygirl

Visit site
3-4 rolls of vet wrap, with a dressing over the wound and elastoplast round the front edge can be very effective, and is what some vets use preferentially now over belly bands

haras

Visit site
3-4 rolls of vet wrap, with a dressing over the wound and elastoplast round the front edge can be very effective, and is what some vets use preferentially now over belly bands

This is what the vet used for my mare post colic surgery. That said, she was in foal, so maybe a belly band was contra-indicated. Hope your friends horse heals soon, but I'm finding it slightly weird that you have vets who can do colic surgery, but not ones who have an xray machine!!!