Post- hock injection rehab- what were you advised?

Maz55

Visit site
My horse is having her second round of hock injections next week. 10 months since the last. Last time I didn’t feel that confident in the rehab programme given by the vet so asked horse chiro this time. What she’s given me seems a bit ott. Needless to say the programmes given are widely different and opposite extremes. On the one hand virtually no rehab and the other so long and slow it would result in my horse losing all the muscle and top line I’ve worked months to get back. Interested to know what others been advised and results? Don’t shoot me down just want to do what’s best for my horse! Thank you

lynz88

Visit site
I was advised 1 week no work (can go out though), and then long line straight work (which I think I did for 2 weeks) followed by ridden straight work. Only got to ride a handful of times before horse went off again but for something else.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm sure we'd have only had a few days off then cracked on, prob straight lines for a week. Older (23ish) so wouldnt' want too long off from a muscle point of view.

Maz55

Visit site
I was advised 1 week no work (can go out though), and then long line straight work (which I think I did for 2 weeks) followed by ridden straight work. Only got to ride a handful of times before horse went off again but for something else.
Sorry to hear that ☹️

Birker2020

Visit site
3 days off riding, then light work for 3 dsys, then back to normal.

I seem to remember the vet saying you have to work the horse afterwards to get the bone to remodel and respond but this may have been in relation to the chemical arthrodesis my horse had and not the joint medication.

If i had the choice again I'd go for CA and save my money although I believe there are better things on the market now.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
10 years back, a couple of days in the field then crack on. They made a big difference.

ihatework

Visit site
Rehab or post injection care?

Post injection they need at least 24h strict box rest, 48h if you are cautious. Then 2-3 days light exercise, either paddock if they are quiet or walk hacks if they aren’t. Then crack on.

Rehab is a different matter and it will depend on what the impact of the hocks has had on the rest of the body as to how you approach it. One for the vet and physio to agree on.

Equi

Visit site
I was told 24hour boxrest, a few days rest then a few days lighter work then crack on. Unfortunately i didn't get to do this due to other issues (death being one of them) but for the fetlocks i had the same advice and it was always okay.

mini_b

Visit site
24 hour box rest (to keep wound site clean more than anything i suppose
1 week hacking walk/trot, Straight lines
2nd week introduce bit of canter on straight lines
3rd week crack on

Maz55

Visit site
I was told 24hour boxrest, a few days rest then a few days lighter work then crack on. Unfortunately i didn't get to do this due to other issues (death being one of them) but for the fetlocks i had the same advice and it was always okay.
So sorry to hear

pistolpete

Visit site
I was told three days restricted grazing (lami risk) then ride as normal as all the steroid does is remove inflammation in the joint to allow full range of movement. No evidence to suggest it actually lasts in there more than about a month. So getting them moving is vital. Last three times mine have had it can’t say I really noticed an improvement.