Post vet smell

fankino04

Visit site
Why do dogs have an odd smell when they've been in the vets? I recall if mine were in for a few hours or more they had a "vet" smell when I picked them up which went away quite quickly, but I'm house sitting for a Newfoundland this weekend who was in the vets last week and he still has "vet smell" despite having been bathed twice and lots of grooming with anti pong grooming stuff.

Bellasophia

Visit site
Maybe some dogs express their anal glands if they are caged at the vets ?This can linger on the coat if the expressed liquid isn’t washed at once.

fiwen30

Visit site
When our dog went in for his cruciate op, he was in for about 24 hours. He came home and smelt like the vet for a solid 2 weeks, and my partner swears he still smelt for over a month.

Even the cats come back smelling a bit off, even if it’s just a quick trip for jabs or a check up. Haven’t worked out what causes it!

fankino04

Visit site
It just has me wondering if it's some sort of stress linked something that is secreted through the skin. Ashkii always smelt worse than noodle who only got a vet smell if she was actually ill, so no smell when in for scans or dental stuff etc and Ash was a much stressier dog than her??