Post Viewing advice

Luclila

Visit site
Looking for some advice.

just viewed a horse from a dealer with a pretty good reputation, he was in stable when I got there and they tacked him up and then rode him. He seemed a bit skittish and fresh (but no bucking or tearing g just mobi g on feet backwards) to what I thought especially since he is advertised as a novice horse, he jumped with the lady and was fine but did refuse one certain jump 3 ish times. His canter is a bit different to get as he rushes his trot first. They said that he’s from Ireland and they’ve had him a 2-3 weeks. I was nervous getting on but did it and found he wasn’t ready relaxed - she said she did it think that he hadn’t been ridden all week and hadn’t jumped since 1st ish week he’d been there. He was a bit more sensitive on the leg and felt like he had a lot of thought going on in his brain if that makes sense. He may have been nervous but wasn’t unsafe. I would say he had a faster canter and wasn’t amazingly familiar with the school as he didn’t have a lot of sense of direction if that makes sense? I tried some smaller circles on him in trot but he just rushed them? At end he was a bit figure with feet when a dog came close (move a step or two back). Then I hopped off and walked him to the stable but he stopped and got scared/ hesitant when we turned the corner where the people and horses were. Seen passport and says at bottoms is a replacement? It’s Irish and just white paper no cover like our ones? Any help

Luclila

Visit site
What help are you after?
As it’s my first horse just wondering if it sounds okay? I’m a novice still and just didn’t feel 100% like some people said it would? No spark but don’t know if that’s just silly talking ?

Luclila

Visit site
Thanks, for the response, the only thing is he just get like he hadn’t been schooled in a while but never felt unsafe? Maybe just needed some tlc

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Thanks, for the response, the only thing is he just get like he hadn’t been schooled in a while but never felt unsafe? Maybe just needed some tlc
Maybe he did, but what he absolutely needs is someone with the experience to be able to distinguish what he needs and be confident and competent to do what is necessary.

No one said it was definitely a bad horse, just that he doesn't sound like the horse for you. Even if all he needs is TLC, that means someone who can be the rock for him, the person who is sure.

I will try to explain what I mean...

You say that he didn't feel unsafe but I think you mean that he didn't make you feel unsafe, as it sounds like he did feel unsafe himself. In that case, he needs someone who knows what to do immediately and without having to stop and question themselves. That way a problem can be diverted.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Horses are generally far calmer at home. Also he will probably have jumped that course a few times so if he is still stopping it sounds like he lacks confidence and is green as grass. 100% not the horse for a novice. And tlc is not the answer! He needs educating and that takes skill and experience. I also don’t believe for a second a dealer left a horse he’s trying to sell unridden for a week.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
As it’s my first horse just wondering if it sounds okay? I’m a novice still and just didn’t feel 100% like some people said it would? No spark but don’t know if that’s just silly talking ?

A novice horse is not suitable for a novice rider. Can I suggest you ask an experienced person to read through adverts with you and 'decode' them.
You will know when you have found the right horse for you, riding will feel like coming home.

Winters100

Visit site
When you find the right horse you will feel total confidence. You need to feel that if you took the horse home tomorrow morning then you would be happy to ride alone tomorrow afternoon. The right horse for you is not one who you feel that you could manage with some lessons and help, but one who you can ride right away. Do not go for looks, remember that beauty is as beauty does. For a novice rider an older horse who has seen and done it all is more likely to be a good fit.

Also, as someone else said, there is just no way that a dealer has a horse for a few weeks and then gives it several days off prior to a viewing. This would make me very wary of the dealer.

Try to take your trainer or a knowledgeable friend with you when you next see a horse. And I don't mean a friend who has had a horse for some years and knows a bit more than you, but one with many years experience of buying and owning a variety of horses.

Your perfect horse is out there, good luck in finding him/her.

Starzaan

Visit site
No, this isn’t a first horse.

paddy555

Visit site

he has to have the WOW factor. He might not be pretty or that but something has to stand out at you and you absolutely have to have him. If you don't have that spark you end up where you are which is analysing everything he is doing and wondering if it means this or it means that.

You are pretty new here but if you do some searching you will find many people who have been in your position, gone to dealers looking at horses brought over from Ireland. A couple of weeks later they start posting that they can't cope with the horse, he is out of control, he must have had problems and can I make the dealer take him back for a refund.

TLC doesn't make a green or nervous horse more confident. If you get him and he stops, bucks, naps, even stands up what are you going to do? laugh at him, tell him not to be so silly and send him on? If not then post 17 applies.

Wishfilly

Visit site
The passport possibly is ringing alarm bells for me- what was holding it together? Who was the issuer?

Is the horse itself advertised as a novice, or as suitable for a novice/a novice ride? Because those are two different things. He sounds (at best) green and in need of more education, which isn't what most people want in a first horse.

If he's the first horse you've viewed, then it's easy to fall in love, but there are plenty of other horses out there.

As others have said, the horse not being ridden for a week and not being jumped much doesn't really ring true. Dealers can have all sorts of lines available for when a viewing (or a vetting) doesn't go to plan, but you have to see through them.

I know it's really hard to not get emotionally involved, but if you want to "save" a horse, then go to one of the welfare charities, talk to them about your needs and get paired with something suitable. If you want something suitable for all round riding, then you need to be a little hard hearted when viewing. Yes, he may come right with time, but that's not really what you want with a first horse and some of this suggests a possible physical issue to me.

Personally, I'd go and view a few others, and if you still like him best, and he's still available, then go back for a second viewing and vet VERY carefully. But I reckon you'll find something you like better!

maya2008

Visit site
How to know the right horse when you find it?
- you will feel immediately comfortable on them;
- you won’t be questioning your choices but will want to put a deposit down then and there.

This doesn’t sound like the horse for you.

Years ago, I chose my first owned horse because she was safe - no immediate connection but she was sweet and safe and I knew the rest would come. She was green as grass, but when the horse in front cantered off on our trial hack she just trotted sweetly and calmly until I asked for canter. I knew in that moment (having tried some real doozies) that she was it for me. Deposit down before I left the yard. She was 4, but the horse of a lifetime. Still have her, aged 22 now.

We bought one a week and a half ago - my son fell in love with him in about 5 minutes flat, and the pony clearly felt the same way. Years ago my husband was the same with his cob.

I know the market is crazy and half of the horses you want to see are sold before you can even get there, but have patience and wait - the right one will wait for you and you’ll know when you sit on them that this is the one you’re taking home. Advice for private sellers though is to get there the evening you see the ad if you can.