Posting a saddle

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I've sold my jumping saddle that no longer fits to someone who is too far for me to deliver/ her to collect. So, am in the process of arranging a courier. I have never posted a saddle before, always sold to someone local who collects or I deliver. I have had a few courier quotes. All are tracked and signed for, but only one, APC, won't offer insurance. The guy on the phone said this is because it is a second hand saddle and insurance underwriters won't insure them because they don't know the true value of the saddle when it goes into the box.

When I said that Yodel, Parcelforce and others are willing to insure, he just said "ha, don't you watch Watchdog, you try actually claiming on that insurance".... so... do I take out insurance (that I hopefully won't need to claim on) which it's likely won't pay out in the event of a claim?! Or just hope that they deliver it successfully? It is a 24hr delivery, they will collect from my house tomorrow and deliver to the buyer on Friday.

Has anyone sent a saddle by courier which got lost then tried to claim on the carrier's insurance?

suzysparkle

Visit site
I've posted a couple of saddles before and never had a problem. I've always just used parcelforce as getting a courier to collect is not really an option for me. If you book online it's cheaper, you can choose where to drop it off and print your labels at home. I did once use a different courier for something else and they were a nightmare. Never had issues with parcelforce and have used them many times for various things.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I've posted a couple of saddles before and never had a problem. I've always just used parcelforce as getting a courier to collect is not really an option for me. If you book online it's cheaper, you can choose where to drop it off and print your labels at home. I did once use a different courier for something else and they were a nightmare. Never had issues with parcelforce and have used them many times for various things.

Do you take out insurance when you post them?

Annagain

Visit site
As long as you have written agreement with buyer, you can prove the value as you've got someone prepared to pay that amount for it. I sold something on e-bay which got damaged in transit and this is how I proved its value. It wasn't something particularly valuable so it was covered by the standard insurance that comes as part of the postage price. (Parcelforce) If it's worth a fair bit I'd pay for insurance for your peace of mind. There are so many what ifs. Chances of parcel going missing and insurance questioning it are tiny surely. Sooner or later you're going to have to trust in someone!

Fourlegsgood

Visit site
I use interparcel. If you use their standard service it goes UPS next day service and they are very efficient. You can dial in the value for insurance at time of booking. I've sent about 5 saddles. One to USA that sold for £1400. Look interparcel up on the web. Don't bother with yodel if I were you.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
I've only ever had MAJOR problems with Parcelforce and would never ever use them again no matter what they promised or how cheap they were. I use Hermes, great price, great service, pick up from my door or you can drop it off at various "parcel shops" in your area if there are any.
I've sent over 100 parcels (all saddlery goods) in the last couple of years and have never had a problem with any of them, yet parcelforce managed to lose, damage or not deliver for 6 weeks (48 hour service!) on lots of my parcels.

holeymoley

Visit site
I've always used parcel force successfully. I've heard mixed reviews though, I guess it depends which part of the country your in maybe?

lastchancer

www.facebook.com
I sell a lot of saddles - Parcel Hero are very good and offer tracked and signed for delivery (about £20 & extra for added insurance), and they collect from your door.
Paisley freight are cheap (£15 UK postcode) but terrible if anything goes wrong so only use them on low value goods.
Hands down I'd recommend Parcel Hero, they've seen my saddles safely to USA, France, Ireland on many occasions.