Potential buyers upsetting horse?

Wheresthehoofpick

Visit site
Oh my!!! So now trying to sell my lovely horse.
He had someone lovely view and ride him on Friday. All fine I would have been very happy for him to go to her. But she decided she wanted something more competition ready. That's all fine.

Then second buyer on Sunday and Monday. He tolerated her style and they seemed to relax into each other on Sunday. Then Monday she came back with a friend. She was super assertive this time and he hated every minute. He was tense and unhappy. Head high. Spooking. Just a nightmare and not him at all. We mutually agreed he wasn't right for her.

Today it took me half an hour to get on him. It was like rebacking! I've never had that with him. Then after a few minutes long low walk in the school suddenly he was back in the game and he went beautifully. Soft and gentle. I could feel him relaxing

Is this a thing?? I've got a list of people who want to see him.

Should I just have been more assertive and told her to get off? He clearly hated her. I've never seen him like that.

AFB

Visit site
Should I just have been more assertive and told her to get off? He clearly hated her. I've never seen him like that.

Probably - I think if it's that clear straight away you have to decide if you would realistically be happy selling your horse to that person. If not then there's no point continuing IMO.
(From the person that's only ever sold 1 horse, back to their previous owner, not a fountain of all knowledge at alll!)

MrsCentaur

Visit site
It's definitely a thing. My sister - basic riding knowledge but hasn't ridden for years - came to meet my boy about a fortnight ago. She can walk, trot and canter on a forgiving pony, which mine isn't because he's still young and learning, and within a few minutes he was clearly confused and worried. I let it go on for longer than I should, and the next day he had regressed in confidence and it took a few lessons to bring him back to where he was. In retrospect, I should have called it a day as soon as I saw that he was unhappy - it's my job to advocate for him.

Can you be more specific about the type of rider that your horse will suit, and screen them more assertively before they turn up?

Wheresthehoofpick

Visit site
Also how do you limit the times that people come to see the horse basically messing you about to then say no.... Not an issue I've had. But I've have a few people contact saying that they would want to do a "few viewings". And that I should agree to hold the horse and not show him to other people.... or versions of that.

What is the protocol on asking for a deposit, making them commit etc. Saying if you want to bring a friend/ instructor do it the first time.
I've always viewed and said yes/ no and paid a deposit subject to vetting.

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
When we were looking for my daughter a few months ago, we went for the first viewing by ourselves, if we liked the horse and the two of them seemed to click then we asked her instructor to come for a second viewing. If that went well, then we offered to pay a deposit subject to vetting. That was the theory at least - in the end we bought a horse after one viewing and the seller wouldn't take a deposit prior to the vetting (but did cancel any other viewings in the meantime), however the horse ticked all the boxes age/size/experience/type that we'd put on our original want list.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
you don't hold without a deposit.
the friend/instructor can be tricky to arrange the first time as if you hate the horse you don't need them there but that doesn't mean holding in the interim.

Re. the riding, I'd actually be well up for the owner advising me how a horse currently likes to/is ridden as it's possible to adapt style. If they weren't up for that I don't see an issue with stopping the viewing if the horse is unhappy.

Wheresthehoofpick

Visit site
Ok so. First viewing. Then second with a friend/ instructor and ask for a non refundable deposit subject to passing vetting at the end of that viewing to hold him?
How much deposit 5k horse?

sportsmansB

Visit site
I had someone try a horse of mine once, and he was a real sweetheart. She wasn't getting a tune out of him at all, I said would you like me to give you a bit of help to get him going. She said yes. Then argued with every piece of advice I gave her, continued to pull and kick him around until I said 'I don't think this is going to work, hes clearly not for you' and walked in and said Whoa. At which point he stopped and came over to me, relieved as anything that he had finally been given an instruction he could understand....
I would never hesitate in finishing a viewing if I was sure I wasn't happy about selling the horse to that person. Its still your horse, and you can do it in a reasonably pleasant but firm way.

Leandy

Visit site
Yes it is common for horses to become unsettled by different riders, especially if they are not used to being ridden by a range of people. You need to manage your viewings to give the horse time to settle in between and show himself at his best, whether that takes a day or several days. You owe it to him not to unsettle him and of course you don't want to put off a good potential purchaser by showing them an unsettled horse. I would have no qualms about asking someone to get off if it clearly wasn't going to work and was upsetting the horse unduly.

The horse is available to the first purchaser to stump up the asking price who I want to sell to. I don't understand why potential purchasers believe they can have first dibs when they are not the first to decide and pay. If they want further viewings, vettings etc then that is fine but they take their chance that someone else gets there first. A deposit is usually 10% of the purchase price and you can if you wish take one to take the horse off the market eg pending vetting etc but it can cause unnecessary arguments about the circumstances in which it should be returned if they do not buy, and in the meantime you may have missed other purchasers. I'm not personally fussed about taking a deposit and have never had to pay one either.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i used to help out at a dealers yard who had quality horses who needed competent riders. there were a few times where after walking and a little trot the dealer stopped the viewing and said im sorry i think this horse wont suit you..and would either point them towards another that was quieter if she had one or tell them that she would contact them if she had something suitable in the future. this dealer said she would only sell to the right rider but last year sold a really nice horse to a good rider and told them what food he was on and he would be sharp if he had no turnout....what did they do, changed his food immediately and gave him more, kept him in 24/7 then phoned her up saying he had been missold as he was too sharp for the rider. dealer got lorry out and collected him, gave her money back with deduction for diesel and her time. horse is now in a home with daily turnout and is as good as gold. not all dealers are crooks!!!! its a minefield both buying and selling these days

TPO

Visit site
If you are taking deposits then after first viewing and give them a receipt for a Non Refundable deposit. You are potentially missing a sale keeping the horse off the market between a first and second viewing.

With the market being as it is personally I wouldnt offer to hold the horse when speaking with people. Hes for sale until hes sold and a lot are going unseen never mind afyet a first visit.

You can pick and choose who you do and dont like at the first viewing. Then be as accommodating as you please for a home that you like

Leandy

Visit site
I certainly wouldn't take a deposit to hold a horse between first and second, or more, viewings. I'd only consider it once they had decided the horse was for them and price was agreed and pending a vetting or collection and full payment (and then only if they arranged them promptly). Very cheeky to ask someone to hold a horse you don't even know you want yet!

Wheresthehoofpick

Visit site
I certainly wouldn't take a deposit to hold a horse between first and second, or more, viewings. I'd only consider it once they had decided the horse was for them and price was agreed and pending a vetting or collection and full payment (and then only if they arranged them promptly). Very cheeky to ask someone to hold a horse you don't even know you want yet!
This is what I have done when buying. Agree to buy. Agree price. Then pay a deposit to hold subject to vetting.

TPO

Visit site
This is what I have done when buying. Agree to buy. Agree price. Then pay a deposit to hold subject to vetting.

Agree, it's just in one of the posts it mentioned being expected to hold a horse between viewings.

Normal is that the horse is on the market until someone commits to buy subject to vetting. Then the deposit is returned if the horse fails but if horse passes and they back out of sale you keep the deposit

Wheresthehoofpick

Visit site
Agree, it's just in one of the posts it mentioned being expected to hold a horse between viewings.

Normal is that the horse is on the market until someone commits to buy subject to vetting. Then the deposit is returned if the horse fails but if horse passes and they back out of sale you keep the deposit
It's just so complicated!! I am rubbish at selling anything let alone a horse. I always feel the need to compulsively give things away ?

ihatework

Visit site
Re the riding at viewing, have a polite phrase ready and step in and get them off when you can see it’s not going to work.

Ive politely and metaphorically pulled a handful of riders off horses they were trying.

Julie Ole Girl

Visit site
When my mare was up for loan (now I own her) her previous owner told me that a woman came to view and her ears were back and she was very unhappy straight off with this person, just in the field. When I left after my first trial she was watching me from the field. Longingly I like to think. Now we are totally bonded and I do believe they sense the right person for them, never mind the riding.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
In the past I have asked people to ride the bombproof old pony to check out their riding before allowing them, or not, on the one to sell.
I used to do that regularly with child or teen riders I didnt know. As you'll recall, I produced a good number and always had a few of various sizes out and about as well as backing etc.

I've also stopped a potential sale on a few occasions for adults as well as children.
One in particular i tried to stop after the 1st trot on an ex track TB I'd turned around, she (mid 20 something) just wouldn't stop kicking. Refused to stop, kicked him v hard like a dead to leg plod and got very shirty with me when I helped pick her up off the ground having been parked very swiftly when he just shot sideways.

Am so glad I don't sell any more!