Potential event horse shopping

Calfie

Visit site
I'm looking for a 3/4 year old to bring on to event with the aim of eventually competing to 1* level. It has to move well and have a decent jump. I don't mind how green. I've a reasonable but not huge budget. Have been to see a few but haven't seen anything that excites me (except for one that failed the vet!).

Can anyone advise where to look or know of any reputable dealers?

There doesn't seem to be a huge number of horses around just now. Maybe I'd be better to wait til the spring? Just thought my money might go a bit further at this time of year...

VRIN

Visit site
There never seems a right time when you are actually buying! From my experience ... just go through a reputable agent in Ireland.
I did had a brilliant day, could have bought any horse I saw. Friend and I both bought one (different budgets) on same day through same agent and both 4 years later still pleased with purchases!

Matafleur

Visit site
Try shannondale stud in Ireland, I love, love my Sarco boy and they are really nice to deal with. I bought mine from a five minute video, they had him vetted and arranged transport, v easy. Prices depend on what they have but mine was not expensive and so far as you can tell looks v capable of 1*.

hannahgeorge

Visit site
Try Toni Warren of Warren Eventing. I found a fantastic 4yo Irish Sports Horse through Toni a couple of months ago, he's exactly as she described and an absolute angel!

FireFly29

Visit site
Mark Bosanko in Devon. He imports warmbloods mainly but they tend to be lighter event types.
I think 6 of the BYEH finalists this year came from him, as did Tim Cheffings 4* Burghley horse.

http://www.bosankosportshorses.com/

Calfie

Visit site
Wow! Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Have heard richard sheane generally doesn't have anything under 15k nowadays and unfortunately my budget doesn't stretch that far. Although I wish it did, he has some lovely horses on his website!

Firefly - I had noticed bosanko had a few nice ones. It would be a long way for me to travel too so good to know he had a few for you to see. Do you mind me asking what sort of price range his horses were in?

monte1

Visit site
reading this thread with interest, currently looking for a similar type of horse, although not really aiming at one star, for me novice would be enough, with good enough paces to do a bit of dressage up to mediumish. my budget may be too low though. 4kish??

Zerotolerance

Visit site
The Lights at Brendon Stud, Pyecombe in the south of England have just put quite a lot of fantastically well bred horses on their FB page this morning, as they're cutting back on numbers. Might be too far for you distance wise. But lovely horses and reasonably priced. Mainly showjumpers but a few with BE potential.

almostthere

Visit site
Try shannondale stud in Ireland, I love, love my Sarco boy and they are really nice to deal with. I bought mine from a five minute video, they had him vetted and arranged transport, v easy. Prices depend on what they have but mine was not expensive and so far as you can tell looks v capable of 1*.

I too have a Sarco boy and is the most straightforward horse ever - 7yrs now and did his first CCI* this last season with ease. I have kept him with a pro (for reasons unrelated to him) but he has just been amazing and I know the stud too are looking to downsize before Winter because they sent me a link of my boy's brother (3 yr old) who looked lovely and they were willing to do a deal on price.....

JoClark

Visit site
Mine is by loughehoe guy out of a diamond lad mare, we are starting him off in eventing now and a lot of his offspring have gone into eventing and doing a good job. hes at the watervalley stud but sells on as youngsters to ... can't think of the name butifinterested message me. Also make fab show jumpers.