Potential liveries beware

TB1997

New User
Visit site
I just wanted to make a post warning any potential liveries looking into Mawkin farm in the Bury area
I have just left after a year and would like to post my experience.
I moved on last year and within a couple of weeks problems began. The water was contaminated, leading to the death of one horse and the near death of another. At first we suspected acorn poisoning and whilst this still may have been a factor, after the water was tested this revealed that the spring fed water was contaminated with a multitude of harmful bacteria and chemicals, clostridium, e coli, and arsenic to name but a few. Much of this was probably connected to the muckheap being above the water pump house, a muck heap containing not only horse manure, but also human feces from the yard 'manager' who lives in a caravan on site, and dead rats that had succumbed to poisoning. Credit where it is due, we were attatched to mains water rather than the spring and the acorn trees were fenced off, so I stayed.
However more problems began to appear. The yard manager could not speak to anyone in a constructive, acceptable way, instead resorting to being extremely aggressive and bullying, in one case waving a knife in a liveries face. His own animals were neglected, his horse had to be cut out of its rug as it had been left on so long, he was well overdue a farrier visit and he lived in a tiny stable and pen set up made to stand in his own excrement and that of the dog he shared the space with. The same dog that he was trying to 'treat' with bute and died. The RSPCA was powerless as he was fed watered and had shelter. Any concerns for horse safety were rudely dismissed. The priority was simply to fill as many stables as possible and the grazing could not cope. I was promised 24/7 turnout upon my arrival but soon saw this was not doable as there was nothing for the horses to eat. We were promised many things, extra fields, a cross country course, and an arena all of which have never surfaced and are apparently stated as a ploy to get people to come on. This autumn I requested the oak trees to be fenced off and offered to pay costs, and I was rudely turned away being told if I didn't like it my horse would just have to stay in.
A visibly ill horse was allowed on and straight into the field and an older horse then became ill with a virus that he never seemed to get over and he also sadly later died.
One livery lasted just six days before fleeing as she feared for her horses safety. I have also come to the conclusion and left. I have been told by others that under previous ownership the yard was beautifully maintained and sought after. The current yard owner has been notified of the problems and is still yet to act despite most of the yard now being empty. So please, consider this warning, the yard is empty for a reason.

angelabarnes

New User
Visit site
I just wanted to make a post warning any potential liveries looking into Mawkin farm in the Bury area
I moved on last year and within a couple of weeks problems began. The water was contaminated, leading to the death of one horse and the near death of another. At first we suspected acorn poisoning and whilst this still may have been a factor, after the water was tested this revealed that the spring fed water was contaminated with a multitude of harmful bacteria and chemicals, clostridium, e coli, and arsenic to name but a few. Much of this was probably connected to the muckheap being above the water pump house, a muck heap containing not only horse manure, but also human feces from the yard 'manager' who lives in a caravan on site, and dead rats that had succumbed to poisoning. Credit where it is due, we were attatched to mains water rather than the spring and the acorn trees were fenced off, so I stayed.
However more problems began to appear. The yard manager could not speak to anyone in a constructive, acceptable way, instead resorting to being extremely aggressive and bullying, in one case waving a knife in a liveries face. His own animals were neglected, his horse had to be cut out of its rug as it had been left on so long, he was well overdue a farrier visit and he lived in a tiny stable and pen set up made to stand in his own excrement and that of the dog he shared the space with. The same dog that he was trying to 'treat' with bute and died. The RSPCA was powerless as he was fed watered and had shelter. Any concerns for horse safety were rudely dismissed. The priority was simply to fill as many stables as possible and the grazing could not cope. I was promised 24/7 turnout upon my arrival but soon saw this was not doable as there was nothing for the horses to eat. We were promised many things, extra fields, a cross country course, and an arena all of which have never surfaced and are apparently stated as a ploy to get people to come on. This autumn I requested the oak trees to be fenced off and offered to pay costs, and I was rudely turned away being told if I didn't like it my horse would just have to stay in.
A visibly ill horse was allowed on and straight into the field and an older horse then became ill with a virus that he never seemed to get over and he also sadly later died.
One livery lasted just six days before fleeing as she feared for her horses safety. I have also come to the conclusion and left. I have been told by others that under previous ownership the yard was beautifully maintained and sought after. The current yard owner has been notified of the problems and is still yet to act despite most of the yard now being empty. So please, consider this warning, the yard is empty for a reason.

angelabarnes

New User
Visit site
Mawkins farm has been under new ownership for a few years now offering stables on a quite yard with good grazing land in the heart of beautiful Birtle.
Although there is no arena there is one locally available to hire at Robinsons Equestrian farm where they also have regular clinics and have a horsey shop on site.
Miles and miles of good countryside hacking a big bonus for many equestrians in a sought after area.

Birker2020

Visit site
I can't believe how this OP wasn't reported to admin. This is slander. When I mentioned a name of someone on dodgy dealers to prevent someone buying a horse they were looking at from the same person (to save them heartache and trouble down the line) some nasty piece of work reported me to admin and I got an infraction. There's one rule for one .....

BB wasn't being rude, she was just explaining that the post was old and there was no point resurrecting it again. To be fair another post on an old thread was resurrected after a decade by the OP!

1699256023434.png

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Mawkins farm has been under new ownership for a few years now offering stables on a quite yard with good grazing land in the heart of beautiful Birtle.
Although there is no arena there is one locally available to hire at Robinsons Equestrian farm where they also have regular clinics and have a horsey shop on site.
Miles and miles of good countryside hacking a big bonus for many equestrians in a sought after area.

I'm glad you were able to put the record straight. Everyone should note that the original complaint is 3 years old.

Surbie

Visit site
Surely it's actually useful that differing views on the same thing - be that a product, store, yard, etc. - are in the same place so as to be most easily accessible and give people the best chance of coming to their own conclusion based on a variety of perspectives.

I don't have the same problem others seem to (not aimed specifically at you @Barton Bounty :) ) with old threads being added to. It's tidier for one thing. And google searches would otherwise throw out an uncorrected old thread that might be read in isolation, given the general minimal attention span these days. Jeez I sound old!

Last edited:

Widgeon

Visit site
And google searches for would otherwise throw out an uncorrected old thread that might be read in isolation, given the general minimal attention span these days.
I completely agree...given that HHO Forum comes up quite high in Google results for horse related searches I think it's totally reasonable for the new owner of this yard to want to set the record straight, so to speak.