Potential sharer dilemma...

Mongoose11

Visit site
I've had five people out to view the cob:

1) really couldn't ride for toffee
2) wanted to pay £50 a month for three days despite paying £50 a week for a lesson with someone I know
3) sweet but a really poor rider
4) was looking because her current share was being sold but now he isn't
5) lovely but a beginner

I'm asking whether I should go with number five. She's obviously a beginner rider, think flappy reins and couldn't find the trot button at first. She didn't have an awful seat or balance and I would trust her to handle her correctly, be reliable and treat the horse well. I also liked her and that's important.

Would there really be any harm in her playing around in the school three times a week, popping a pole and 'schooling'? Is it bad that I'd probably prefer someone more capable?

Cob would still get two proper hacks out a week, the odd fun ride etc. Am I expecting too much of people? It seems that the only people who want to share a cob are beginners. She'll take a beginner but she's capable of so much more. I'm just not sure I have much choice at the moment.

WWYD?

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Depends on your horse and your goals.
If your horse is just a happy hacker/all around family kinda horse, I don't see what harm could come to your horse with a SUPERVISED beginner.

Personally, I'd hold out for someone who knows what they're doing abit more. Before I bought mine, I shared and loaned many horses and paid for the privilege and did jobs. I didn't ever really "school" the horses I loaned or shared, as didn't want to step on owner's toes who were focused on this side of things, so I was purely there to provide fun for the horse in the form of jumping and exploring/galloping about the countryside!

Annagain

Visit site
I'm in a similar position. I've got a lovely woman who has just started to share my horse. She's a capable rider but has only ever ridden in a riding school. Long story short she's a decent enough rider but has never had to think for herself and at the moment I'm having to tell her how to ride him. As soon as I do she's fine. She's ridden him a few times now but we've stuck to roads (where he is foot perfect) as I'm a bit apprehensive about him frightening her cantering in the open (he's good and does stop but gives you the impression he's not going to right until he does!).

She's aware of her limitations though, wants to improve and is happy to have lessons on him (as opposed to one girl who couldn't ride one side of him, couldn't see this was a problem and was happy to turn him at the 3'6" post and rail fence around the school to stop him - I couldn't look in case he jumped it!) and to get to know him slowly so I'm prepared to give her a go.

I'd say give her the benefit of the doubt but insist she has some lessons on him.

be positive

Visit site
One of my liveries has just had to get some help with exercising and the young girl is novicey but keen so part of the deal is that she has a lesson every week, there is no money involved otherwise apart from a shoeing contribution so it means the horse will get exercised more, the girl will continue to improve and hopefully over time some reasonable schooling will be done, hacking will be accompanied until we feel they are ready to go out alone.
So it depends what you want out of it if it is to keep the horse exercised rather than get cash why not suggest a reduction if they have a lesson regularly so they have help to develop their riding rather than being left to pootle around, you never know she may improve rapidly if given guidance.

Micropony

Visit site
One of my liveries has just had to get some help with exercising and the young girl is novicey but keen so part of the deal is that she has a lesson every week, there is no money involved otherwise apart from a shoeing contribution so it means the horse will get exercised more, the girl will continue to improve and hopefully over time some reasonable schooling will be done, hacking will be accompanied until we feel they are ready to go out alone.
So it depends what you want out of it if it is to keep the horse exercised rather than get cash why not suggest a reduction if they have a lesson regularly so they have help to develop their riding rather than being left to pootle around, you never know she may improve rapidly if given guidance.

This. Also, if she's a beginner it also means she's a blank slate. So you can teach her to muck out, groom, tack up, cool down, rug, lead and all the other care and handling stuff exactly how you want it done. Rather than seeing it as you being interfering or controlling, as a more experienced person might, she will probably be really grateful for the pointers. You'd need to be prepared to invest the time initially though...

11bluewolf

Visit site
I think the fact that you like them and they are reliable and will look after horse correctly is the most important thing. If your horse can take a beginner and won't be bothered by it I'm sure the sharers riding will improve quickly. But Maybe also suggest having some lessons on your horse?

Mongoose11

Visit site
Thanks all. She's definitely capable of tacking up etc and she was the only visitor who didn't stand there and watch while I got the horse ready, she was really proactive and handled the horse well.

I'm going to ask her to come out again on Friday and I'll put it to her that either she will need to take some instruction from me or she'll need to have lessons. I want to stick her on the lunge and let her know she has a core!

The horse genuinely isn't bothered by a beginner, hacking might prove interesting (on grass) but she did say she would take it slow in that respect.

I do feel positive about her despite wanting a bit more out of a rider. Thanks for your advice!

lawa

Visit site
From mypoint of view as a sharer You need to be honest to yourself and can you potentially give her the time she needs to get up to speed?

But if she has the basics a bit of support and could be just what everyone needs? Give her some boundries and some lessons on stable care and riding your horse :D

Annagain

Visit site
I'd get her to have lessons with someone you trust rather than doing it yourself. It's hard to be objective and just teach when you're emotionally involved.

Mongoose11

Visit site
I'd get her to have lessons with someone you trust rather than doing it yourself. It's hard to be objective and just teach when you're emotionally involved.

Yes, agreed. I just thought I could get her started really. She's only ridden in a riding school so has never heard any message apart from 'kick' and 'stop' I don't think. She'll definitely be open to having lessons with an instructor.

Maesto's Girl

Visit site
I think I would rather have someone I liked, who handled my horse well, who was pro-active and willing to improve than someone who can ride - but just does that. She sounds like she has some instinctive 'horsey' qualities and the riding basics so as long as your horse doesn't try to test out beginner riders by seeing how quickly they can chuck them off, I'd say give her a shot.

TheSaddleLady

Visit site
Sounds promising to be honest. Someone has to give her a chance.
If it wasn't for the lady that I had my first share with as a real novice (basic walk, trot, canter & pole work and tacking up etc) I'd never have learnt so much about what's it's like actually owning one.

I agree with Maesto, give her a go!

hlb93

Visit site
I'd always go with someone you actually like, she may improve really quickly with lessons and if she has an instructor you like then you'd know she's not being taught any habits you don't agree with.

mytwofriends

Visit site
I'm in the "give the novice a go" camp too. It's really important that you like her, which you said you already do, and a blank slate is so much better (in my opinion) than an upstart who's all mouth and pseudo expertise.

The fact she's fine handling your horse on the ground and is being proactive is already a bonus. I agree with suggesting she takes lessons too.

Hope she works out for you, or, if not her, someone else suitable turns up.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I advertised for a sharer for my competition horse a few years ago. I got no end of flaky people or know it all novices. I was at the point of giving up then a local lady contacted me and said she'd probably be too novice, but she thought she contact me. She was the first novice that admitted she was. I always tried them out on my husband's horse, and she was ok, but wouldn't manage my mare. I said she could ride my husband's horse. We were just going on holiday, the horses were going on holiday livery to my instructor's yard, so I suggested she had a lesson while he was there. My instructor had to stop the lesson as the horse was not listening to her at all and it seemed dangerous. The sharer was upset that she wouldn't be good enough. I said she could hack out with me, the horse is very relaxed and lazy on hacks, but bouncy and athletic in the school, plus she is 5'2 and the horse is a big 17h. She did. We hacked out all winter, I taught her, she got better. Eventually she knew him enough to hack out alone. She learned about looking after the horses/yard very quickly. She is very observant. She's been sharing for three or four years now. My husband's horse has been injured this year, so she started to ride my mare and has coped well. Plus my mare is better in the school, despite being more sprite ly on a hack, so I've been able to do some proper lessons with her. It's worked very well. I'd like to think we are friends. She doesn't pay any money, rides when she likes mostly, and covers for us when we need it. She helps on the days she rides.

So long winded way of saying yes, a novice with the right attitude can work very well. You just have to make sure they will be safe on the horse and will be able to learn.