Potential sweet itch... best rug and mask combination

jaffa2311

Visit site
I have a rising 2 year old and I am looking for the best outfit to protect against flies for this Summer.

Last year (yearling year) she lost some hair on her face, all around her eyes and rubbed her forelock out completely, she was out 24/7 with no rugs, as I wanted her to be as natural as possible being so young.

She may not have sweet itch, but I do not want her to lose her forelock again, as she is meant to be showing in hand.

I have been advised by my vet that she should wear a UV fly mask to keep sunlight away from her eyes, as she has a small skin tag on her third eye lid that she has had since purchase at 4 months old. She also has a pink nose which needs protecting from the sun.

So my priority is the very best head and neck protection but also want a rug that protects the rest of her, in case her reactions do increase this summer.

I have a shires full length fly mask but found midgies could crawl in. Youngster is also excellent at removing the fly mask.

Ideally I'd like a removable nose piece for the mask, a rug that completely protects the neck and good all round cover.

I like the snuggy hoods one but the mask does not offer UV protection.

HELP!

paddy555

Visit site
I have a SI pony. The rambo SI hoody does a good job on the body the problem for mine is where the head mask joins the rug. I couldn't keep the SI hoody over the ears and there is a gap. That is where I got damage last year. The rest of the pony was perfect.
I think you need a large SI hood that goes well down the neck and then buckles onto the rug to get round the problem of this gap. There is a FB SI group with lots of discussions on rugs/masks.

Mine gradually got worse year on year from around a yearling or 2. Oh and mine is good at getting the mask off which is why next year I shall get a long one that does down her neck.

jaffa2311

Visit site
Hey can you let me know name of FB group so I can join?

Yes what you're describing is what I suspect will happen. The snuggy hoods one seems perfect for this but I don't like the stupid eye tassel things, and would rather have it with UV, so was wondering if there is a seamless head- neck ensemble which also allows for a UV mask ����

paddy555

Visit site
Hey can you let me know name of FB group so I can join?

Yes what you're describing is what I suspect will happen. The snuggy hoods one seems perfect for this but I don't like the stupid eye tassel things, and would rather have it with UV, so was wondering if there is a seamless head- neck ensemble which also allows for a UV mask ����

"sweet itch support"
I don't know the answer to your question but hopefully you will find ideas on the group. I am still researching for an answer for next year.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
https://www.horzehoods.com/collections/summer-hoods

How about something like this underneath a fly rug? They seem to have good reviews on fb! I haven't personally used one but I have one of their normal lycra hoods which is great. I think they also do a version which is just the head which has ears I think?? So more like a fly mask... I remember seeing it somewhere, but they might not have them in stock since it's winter...

Tegan

Visit site
My friend has a cremello pony who has sweet itch and is photosensitive. She uses the Rambo sweet itch hoody, a snuggly hoods face mask and a fly mask (not sure on make but will ask) over the top.

Destario

Visit site
Boett. Definitely the best. Not sure about the UV on the mask, but nothing stopping you sticking a UV bit on top or making a velcro on/off nose cover. Fabulous fabric as well with no hot sweaty horse underneath. Love the hoods.