Potentially MRSA, wtf?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
So big dog’s wound has become infected, despite careful cleaning. It was swabbed and the vet mentioned that it may be MRSA! Poor little lad! We have some serious looking antibiotics-fourth lot since the bite.

The vet said where the flesh where the hole is where the infection has erupted (don’t think it’s one of the original punctures looking at pictures) couldn’t be removed, she took off as much as she could.

We have liquid normally used for ear infections which is a bit stingy, he went mad after application and twice tried to bring me the dress I was wearing as a gift. Then he tried to bring Zak, but Zak refused to play ball.

Poor lad, I was hoping the operation would resolve everything. :(

dollyanna

Visit site
Poor boy :-( Speak to your vet about using sterile medihoney as a wound dressing, I'm pretty sure it has been shown to be effective against MRSA wounds, though I don't have the research to hand, but a couple of years ago my old boy got necrotising fasciitis in his leg secondary to a cat scratch, skin and fascia sloughed off down to the bone (literally, you could see the inside of the skin on the other side through the leg) and he only had a few days of antibiotics before we ditched them as the honey was doing such a good job. Amazingly it all healed up, though a small area never grew hair back - and this was the length of half his front leg from armpit to past his elbow.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Oh, poor boy! And poor you!

It probably isn't MRSA, (fingers crossed) if your vet is anything is like ours, they will always talk about the worst case scenario.

One of the Rotters has been today to have a lump removed, when the vet saw it last week he was muttering dark things about 'mast cell tumour' but when the vet nurse saw it this morning, she said 'that warty thing'. I thought it was a warty thing when I saw it too. We shall see when the test results come back.

Sending 'non MRSA' vibes for big dog and a few for you too!

Equi

Visit site
Another vote for the honey, noel fitzpatrick uses it frequently for any surgeries that get massive infections.

Aru

Visit site
Wait it out for the swab it might not be as bad as you think!
Vets always prepare you for the worse because we think in worse case scenarios...but theres plenty of more treatable bugs that cause similar issues to mrsa.

I'm a massive fan of honey for surface wounds but this may be from a deep seated infection given hes had abbcessation present before surgery.
I'd run it by your vet before putting anything on the surface of the wound and in an elderly dog with a longterm infection id lean towards using a medical grade honey(treated to it can't be carrying any extra bugs) just to be on the safe side.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Results by Friday, which is lots slower than the old practice. Odd, given I’m sure they both use the nearby RVC. I’ll wait and see what they say, it’s leaking rather disgustingly. He’s very restless tonight, he doesn’t know what to do with himself.

Aru

Visit site
Results by Friday, which is lots slower than the old practice. Odd, given I’m sure they both use the nearby RVC. I’ll wait and see what they say, it’s leaking rather disgustingly. He’s very restless tonight, he doesn’t know what to do with himself.

Culture swabs need time to grow the bugs so cultures always take a frustrating amount of time. As your waiting to see what grows,identify the different types, decide which is the most likely culprit as opposed to just living in the area and then check the antibiotics its reacting to...or not reacting to

Are the stitches holding? Its always frustrating when this sort of thing happens after surgery. poor old man!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Stitches are losing reasonably well, but he fell over today, onto his back, legs are very unsteady at times. One stitch tore slightly so is leaking, along with a hole near another suture which is where the infection is leaking from. I just despair.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
So he’s all healing up. The infection appears to have cleared up, stitches are holding, which is handy as last time he had an op they all split open and he had to be stapled. The red bit at the top was where he pulled a stitch falling over. I think the vet should be calling tomorrow about the swab.

Sorry, slightly over the top picture for clarity.
31076958_10157345028249377_5861147044839686144_o.jpg

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
That looks to be healing nicely. It wouldn't be doing if it were MRSA surely? That probably just was your vet's worst case scenario. Fingers crossed for tomorrow's results.

Aru

Visit site
So he’s all healing up. The infection appears to have cleared up, stitches are holding, which is handy as last time he had an op they all split open and he had to be stapled. The red bit at the top was where he pulled a stitch falling over. I think the vet should be calling tomorrow about the swab.

Sorry, slightly over the top picture for clarity.
31076958_10157345028249377_5861147044839686144_o.jpg

That looks good! Glad to hear hes doing well!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
No word from the vet so I’ll call tomorrow. Whatever was going on seems to have resolved itself, thank god.

His stitches should be coming out on Wednesday, I reckon they’ll be all cooked by then.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
The big dog had his stitches out yesterday and can have a proper walk on Saturday! Leaky infection was ‘normal bacteria’ according to my OH, who does not do technical terms. The vet was pleased with how the scar looks. The hair is taking ages to grow back from all of his various procedures, I guess that’s normal for an older dog. He’s feeling lively and was rolling round at the neighbour’s feet earlier, absolute lunatic.

Clodagh

Visit site
The big dog had his stitches out yesterday and can have a proper walk on Saturday! Leaky infection was ‘normal bacteria’ according to my OH, who does not do technical terms. The vet was pleased with how the scar looks. The hair is taking ages to grow back from all of his various procedures, I guess that’s normal for an older dog. He’s feeling lively and was rolling round at the neighbour’s feet earlier, absolute lunatic.

Really good news. :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

I am so pleased for you - and him!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Scans are falling off, ick. He’s had a lone short walk in the park so I could keep a close eye, his first proper walk in two weeks. Happy little boy! I’ll do a pic later. Gotta go and get horsey supplies.