Potters/Drury and Sons

jenniehodges2001

Visit site
I didn’t find your post overly judgemental btw. Perhaps could have been worded better.

No I would never consider taking a beloved pet there unless I had no other option. It would be done at home, with a gun if possible.

That’s not to say I disapprove of people who do.

It’s a valid question ‘why do people take them there’ with I’m sure a number of perfectly valid answers
Thank you. I shall remember to word better in future.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Can I just ask a question without being too nosy. Do people really take their horses their to get money back for them? Is that on the whole, the main reason why you take your beloved horse to an abbatoir? Or is it that its very quick and easy and local?

I can't ever imagine having to take mine there, I just wouldn't even contemplate it, the whole idea makes me queasy. If others do so then fair enough, its not for me to be judgemental. Mine will be done at home, by injection, in front of me and I will plaster a false smile on my face so my horse isn't anxious. And I wouldn't mind paying the extra that it costs. But then maybe I am an idiot t because I'm too sentimental.

The Mule has answered your question.
Everyone does things differently, at least people who care do get their horses pts at home, Potters, at the hunt kennels etc rather than leaving them to suffer in fields, or passing them on as 'companions' and the like, which to my mind is pretty vile and opting out of decision making.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
My vets only use the injection these days. They did used to shoot them. In my thankfully limited experience, the sedation + injection has worked quickly and well.

I think I understand their reasons for no longer using the gun, after a tragic event locally.

Most vets really don't have the experience to use the gun, so I probably wouldn't want them to, but hunt staff and knackermen are well practised and usually very very good at handling horses sensitively.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Gosh what a strange and patronising attitude to have. I've had more horses pts by injection/gun than you've had hot dinners in my lifetime and twice as many that have been friends horses that I have held for others. Why would you be smug or superior if you are having your horse pts? I would be devastated. The bit about having a smile on my face was because I do not want my horse to see my tears. On the small holding where I keep my horse we have a little yard off our main yard with a surface for such a time and they are all pts there.

God no wonder this forum has such a vile reputation.

If you can't understand why people have reacted rather badly to the wording of your post, perhaps you need to re-read it and consider the loaded language you used.

You are implying that you are such a lovely, sentimental person that you care too much for your beloved horses to send them to a nasty abattoir - without any recognition that lethal injection is not necessarily the kindest method, or that other people may need the money/have varied other reasons for so doing.

And if you can't be civil, and ask your questions in a more sensitive way, perhaps this forum isn't the place for you.

ihatework

Visit site
If you can't understand why people have reacted rather badly to the wording of your post, perhaps you need to re-read it and consider the loaded language you used.

You are implying that you are such a lovely, sentimental person that you care too much for your beloved horses to send them to a nasty abattoir - without any recognition that lethal injection is not necessarily the kindest method, or that other people may need the money/have varied other reasons for so doing.

And if you can't be civil, and ask your questions in a more sensitive way, perhaps this forum isn't the place for you.

Is there really any need to stoop to the level you are condemning?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Is there really any need to stoop to the level you are condemning?

I generally ignore rude posters, but I feel it is really important that people have horses PTS when they need it whether by lethal injection or by abattoir.

I'd hate anyone to read Jennie's posts and then leave their horse suffering if they can't afford the lethal injection/disposal costs afterwards.

I am sure we all agree that the worst euthanasia is the one that doesn't happen...

ETA Some resources
- BHS info about euthanasia and support offered
- Blue Cross bereavement support

ihatework

Visit site
I generally ignore rude posters, but I feel it is really important that people have horses PTS when they need it whether by lethal injection or by abattoir.

I'd hate anyone to read Jennie's posts and then leave their horse suffering if they can't afford the lethal injection/disposal costs afterwards.

I am sure we all agree that the worst euthanasia is the one that doesn't happen...

And had you formulated your response in a more positive way I would agree.

As it is you have just devalued any credible argument you might have had by a disproportionately nasty response

jenniehodges2001

Visit site
I generally ignore rude posters,
But I wasn't being rude.....

Forget it. Thanks for those that have stuck up for me. I won't be returning to the forum.

Thank you Shilasdair and those others who have spoilt my enjoyment and chance to get help by asking questions when necessary or of course, helping others through my own experience.

I hope your five minutes of unecessary unkindness has made you feel better in yourself. Big ego boost???

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
But I wasn't being rude.....

Forget it. Thanks for those that have stuck up for me. I won't be returning to the forum.

Thank you Shilasdair and those others who have spoilt my enjoyment and chance to get help by asking questions when necessary or of course, helping others through my own experience.

I hope your five minutes of unecessary unkindness has made you feel better in yourself. Big ego boost???

Look, it's a great forum with some very helpful people on it.

Yeah we have a few arguments on here, and some "characters" and different personalities, but on the whole we rub along ok. It's kind of the way a forum works, and we have a handy User Ignore button if you really can't stick someone.

Your opening post might have been worded a bit better, I don't know. It didn't upset me as much as it did some people, but then I know my own mind and I don't think that preferring to have my horses shot makes me a crap owner and means I don't love them.

Stick around if you want to - generally when people join the forum and have a controversial first thread, the best thing is to just browse a few other topics and get posting on those. You might find you like it :)

meleeka

Visit site
Look, it's a great forum with some very helpful people on it.

Yeah we have a few arguments on here, and some "characters" and different personalities, but on the whole we rub along ok. It's kind of the way a forum works, and we have a handy User Ignore button if you really can't stick someone.

Your opening post might have been worded a bit better, I don't know. It didn't upset me as much as it did some people, but then I know my own mind and I don't think that preferring to have my horses shot makes me a crap owner and means I don't love them.

Stick around if you want to - generally when people join the forum and have a controversial first thread, the best thing is to just browse a few other topics and get posting on those. You might find you like it :)
Well put. I’m not sure it was necessary to be quite so defensive, even if some people thought the comment judgemental. It was a question, so wouldn’t it have been more helpful to just answer it, or not, rather than the rage that followed.

This is another thread I was finding interesting that’s turned into insults which is always a shame.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Probably a one horse owner does not take their beloved animal to an abattoir, but people who make their living from horses, rather than have a job in order to keep their horse as a hobby, probably do think of the financial side. That is not to say that they do not care but they are being practical.

tristar

Visit site
Can I just ask a question without being too nosy. Do people really take their horses their to get money back for them? Is that on the whole, the main reason why you take your beloved horse to an abbatoir? Or is it that its very quick and easy and local?

I can't ever imagine having to take mine there, I just wouldn't even contemplate it, the whole idea makes me queasy. If others do so then fair enough, its not for me to be judgemental. Mine will be done at home, by injection, in front of me and I will plaster a false smile on my face so my horse isn't anxious. And I wouldn't mind paying the extra that it costs. But then maybe I am an idiot t because I'm too sentimental.[/QUOT

well said, i had my old pony go at home last year, very kind vet. she was injected fell to the ground, and was shot, she new nothing, went with apple in her mouth, so j nothing to fear, in case you ever need to deal with it

nothing sentimental about being humane, and taking responsibility for your own animals in your own way

poiuytrewq

Visit site
But if there were more well run local abbatoirs, which Potters always used to be, there would be many fewer such ads as the owners would be able to get some cash for their old horses, rather than having to pay to have them PTS.

Just because some people are squeamish about such things doesn’t mean that the service should not be available.
I think this is spot on. It’s sad but not as sad as elderly horses struggling on because owners can’t afford to pts.
It may encourage people to do the right thing.