Potters/Drury and Sons

honetpot

Visit site
But if there were more well run local abbatoirs, which Potters always used to be, there would be many fewer such ads as the owners would be able to get some cash for their old horses, rather than having to pay to have them PTS.

Just because some people are squeamish about such things doesn’t mean that the service should not be available.
I wonder if this actually true. The laws on drugs reaching the food chain are so strict, that the only money in meat is young failed TB's out of training with a clean passport, meaning no drugs. Most pleasure horses have had bute, sedation and god knows what else before they are PTS, so are only fit for the incinerator.
Even pet food, the animal should be fit for human consumption.
'Material of animal origin comes from animals which are inspected and passed as fit for human consumption prior to slaughter. The material must be free of transmissible disease, which therefore excludes material from dying, diseased or disable animals.' So most pet food is made from the waste from human food production.

meleeka

Visit site
I wonder if this actually true. The laws on drugs reaching the food chain are so strict, that the only money in meat is young failed TB's out of training with a clean passport, meaning no drugs. Most pleasure horses have had bute, sedation and god knows what else before they are PTS, so are only fit for the incinerator.
Even pet food, the animal should be fit for human consumption.
'Material of animal origin comes from animals which are inspected and passed as fit for human consumption prior to slaughter. The material must be free of transmissible disease, which therefore excludes material from dying, diseased or disable animals.' So most pet food is made from the waste from human food production.
I wonder what happens to all these fields full of coloured cobs that presumably don’t have passports? There are loads of them near me so they must go somewhere for someone’s profit.

I think there would still be a market for abattoirs. Plenty of old horses for instance haven’t seen the vet for years but are pts because the owner wants to do it before they find the horse down in the field. This also goes for horses with behavioural issues, that might be pts and out of their misery if an owner didn’t have to pay for it. Then there’s the biggest welfare issue imo, colts that travellers don’t want. We might not see the annual dumping of dead or dying if money could be made from them.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
if they are (correctly) signed out on section 9 of the passport, you'll not get cash for them at Potters but you'll not (usually) pay. *edit* currently its £50 cost to you, as mentioned by The Mule, below.
Quite a number of older breeders i know of have not had the passports signed out, so can still take those to Potters for payment on despatch. makes a bit of a mockery of it all really.
Currently, you'll be paying about £250 here for knacker despatch and removal, or up to double that with vet inject and knacker disposal. More again if wanting ashes back.

I'm another who would like to see more units open, back in the 70's I had 2 within 4 miles of me, by 77 one had closed due to EEC regs (not to do with husbandry but the actual buildings which needed too much spending on them to be to scratch). The other ceased a few months after the local equine market closed in the mid 80s, which was a big shame as they also did fallen stock services too.

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My first horse was shot by an abattoir at home and his body removed. Because of kidney failure his flesh was unusable. I was still paid £40 in 1985 for his bones and hair. I did not pay them anything.

I also would like to see the return of local abattoir services.

TheMule

Visit site
if they are (correctly) signed out on section 9 of the passport, you'll not get cash for them at Potters but you'll not (usually) pay.
Quite a number of older breeders i know of have not had the passports signed out, so can still take those to Potters for payment on despatch. makes a bit of a mockery of it all really.

They will shoot them if they are signed out, but you will pay them £50 (may be slightly more now) for that and disposal. Still an awful lot cheaper than having it done at home.
Almost all that come through are indeed failed racers, ex-broodmares or very low value horses/ ponies that have been through the markets and passported simply for slaughter

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
They will shoot them if they are signed out, but you will pay them £50 (may be slightly more now) for that and disposal. Still an awful lot cheaper than having it done at home.
Almost all that come through are indeed failed racers, ex-broodmares or very low value horses/ ponies that have been through the markets and passported simply for slaughter
Thanks for the update on cost, this time last year it was foc as costs balanced out.
Def cheaper, but for some who dont have transport, its prob still too much x

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
But if there were more well run local abbatoirs, which Potters always used to be, there would be many fewer such ads as the owners would be able to get some cash for their old horses, rather than having to pay to have them PTS.

Just because some people are squeamish about such things doesn’t mean that the service should not be available.

I don’t think most of these are the type of owners who would ever use an abattoir if there was one locally. Often they just don’t want to make a hard decision to euthanise or in some cases they genuinely think someone nice is out there who will take on the responsibility and sometimes they’re lucky and there is. I’m sure lack of money for the vet does come into it for some though.

Orangehorse

Visit site
The trouble is that you don't really get cash for the horses now as the disposal costs are much higher than in the past, which rules out most animals that have been ridden animals.

Obviously the abbatoir gets money for what they sell, but I suspect that they only want a particular type of animal.

At one time you could reckon to get about £200 for a pony, but that was a long, long time ago and years before all the legistlation due to BSE and residues in carcases from drugs, which is protecting human health after all.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
What I'm confused about is if Potters/Drury is an abattoir, why couldn't they have dispatched her as soon as they realised they couldn't get her up on the lorry?
Why did she have to be transported elsewhere (a farm, why?) which then didn't happen and she was dispatched at the original site anyway?
Poor poor mare.
Because I'm ignorant - what's the difference between potters and a knackerman coming out - is it just being able to have the horse pts at home rather than journey and unknown location/strange horses/environment if they're sent to Potters?

I believe I'm right in saying that if a horse is slaughtered at Potters, because it can then go for human consumption, the person sending it there will be able to get more money? Whereas if your knackerman came out to do the job, you'd only get dead-weight cash on the carcass and it would then go for pet food as it wouldn't have been slaughtered in a licensed slaughterhorse "for human consumption".

Its all about money, someone making money out of this poor unfortunate mare who probably was precious to someone at some point in her life; but sadly then began the downward spiral from much-loved home, to someone else who sold her on for whatever reason, then on to dodgy dealer, market, and ended up where she did.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
It was my understanding as an ex-local that they still had a good rep.
This was a terrible decision though and doesn't really help the very valid argument that the facilities are needed.
Last I looked I think they were only doing 1 day a week?

I think it's Tuesday's at the RWB site. We've used Potter's before and probably will again but the horse goes and is done that day. That site doesn't have the best rep - while it was still owned by Drury's at least one worker died in an avoidable accident :( They need to be squeaky clean and this sort of incident hideous and tragic as it is, is just ammunition for the animal aid workers, who by getting abattoirs closed and making animals travel further have just compounded many of the issues.

honetpot

Visit site
I believe I'm right in saying that if a horse is slaughtered at Potters, because it can then go for human consumption, the person sending it there will be able to get more money? Whereas if your knackerman came out to do the job, you'd only get dead-weight cash on the carcass and it would then go for pet food as it wouldn't have been slaughtered in a licensed slaughterhorse "for human consumption".

Its all about money, someone making money out of this poor unfortunate mare who probably was precious to someone at some point in her life; but sadly then began the downward spiral from much-loved home, to someone else who sold her on for whatever reason, then on to dodgy dealer, market, and ended up where she did.
Animals for pet food have to be fit for human consumption, its also far easier to get animal by products from the waste from human food products. So it either has to be fit for human consumption, or its rendered for non-food products, http://www.fabrauk.co.uk/news , or its incinerated, that's why they cost so much to be disposed of. If you take fallen stock, farm animals, to our local hunt its incinerated. As soon as something is dead its waste, and it costs money to dispose of it.
The rules on the processing animals for meat are so strict, its literally you send and animal tagged, and the tagged meat carcase comes out, that many of the small abattoirs are shutting, so your home reared animals have to travel further.

Orangehorse

Visit site
That's right honetpot. Even if we have a big, steer that goes as a casualty we have to pay for its disposal, we don't get anything for its carcase, unlike in the past.

If a vet will agree that an animal is fit to travel and you can get it to an abbatoir alive and the meat is passed, then you will get paid.
There are meat inspectors at all abbatoirs.

jenniehodges2001

Visit site
if they are (correctly) signed out on section 9 of the passport, you'll not get cash for them at Potters but you'll not (usually) pay. *edit* currently its £50 cost to you, as mentioned by The Mule, below.
Currently, you'll be paying about £250 here for knacker despatch and removal, or up to double that with vet inject and knacker disposal. More again if wanting ashes back.
Can I just ask a question without being too nosy. Do people really take their horses their to get money back for them? Is that on the whole, the main reason why you take your beloved horse to an abbatoir? Or is it that its very quick and easy and local?

I can't ever imagine having to take mine there, I just wouldn't even contemplate it, the whole idea makes me queasy. If others do so then fair enough, its not for me to be judgemental. Mine will be done at home, by injection, in front of me and I will plaster a false smile on my face so my horse isn't anxious. And I wouldn't mind paying the extra that it costs. But then maybe I am an idiot t because I'm too sentimental.

TheMule

Visit site
Can I just ask a question without being too nosy. Do people really take their horses their to get money back for them? Is that on the whole, the main reason why you take your beloved horse to an abbatoir? Or is it that its very quick and easy and local?

I can't ever imagine having to take mine there, I just wouldn't even contemplate it, the whole idea makes me queasy. If others do so then fair enough, its not for me to be judgemental. Mine will be done at home, by injection, in front of me and I will plaster a false smile on my face so my horse isn't anxious. And I wouldn't mind paying the extra that it costs. But then maybe I am an idiot t because I'm too sentimental.

I would say- go there. Go and see it before you make a judgement.
If you take a horse in as a private owner you pull up, drop the ramp, get the horse off, they're led quietly in to a room with a guy who is an absolute expert with a gun and really good with the horses. You can stay with the horse or hand him the rope and it's done within 10 seconds. A horse that is used to travelling, been to shows etc in its life would honestly think absolutely nothing of it- it doesnt smell, it's not noisy there's no waiting around
I would not travel an old, injured or precious horse there myself but I have taken a horse there for someone else so I have seen it from both sides.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Not everyone has the right facilities and access at home to make PTS and the subsequent removal of the body very easy.

Having to lead the horse away from its field, stable and friends to a gateway near a public road (and the risk of random onlookers) where the deed can be done is not great.

Potters had a very good rep, it is how TheMule describes it, you can be with your horse to the end if you wish to.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site

I think you need to educate yourself regarding the most humane method of euthanasia. It's not unknown for the lethal injection to go wrong, with the half-dead horse thrashing or galloping whilst prone, rather rapidly wiping the false smile off the face of the smug, superior handler.

There's also an environmental issue regarding disposal of the remains - as a horse euthanised by injection needs to be cremated or buried far away from water courses as the flesh remains contaminated by the drugs.

jenniehodges2001

Visit site
Not judgemental, eh?
If you are going to split hairs. It wasn't intended as judgemental so apologies if it came across that way. Couldn't really give a monkeys what people do with their own horses to be honest with you I was just asking a question which may have caused offence but in no way by the way it HAS caused offence.

Honestly I heard that people spoil for an argument on this forum and from I can see I understand why I was told this.

jenniehodges2001

Visit site
I think you need to educate yourself regarding the most humane method of euthanasia. It's not unknown for the lethal injection to go wrong, with the half-dead horse thrashing or galloping whilst prone, rather rapidly wiping the false smile off the face of the smug, superior handler.
Gosh what a strange and patronising attitude to have. I've had more horses pts by injection/gun than you've had hot dinners in my lifetime and twice as many that have been friends horses that I have held for others. Why would you be smug or superior if you are having your horse pts? I would be devastated. The bit about having a smile on my face was because I do not want my horse to see my tears. On the small holding where I keep my horse we have a little yard off our main yard with a surface for such a time and they are all pts there.

God no wonder this forum has such a vile reputation.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Having taken two mares to Potters I can verify that what TheMule says is totally correct. It was very straightforward and humane. I went into the chamber with each of mine but handed them over, couldn't stay. It was very quick as have been the occasions when we have had them shot at home. Mine were used to travelling and best mates which is why they went together.
It costs in the region of £240 for the knacker to put them down. Not sure about the hunt, they have only collected a dead horse for me and I can't remember what that cost. To dispose of a sheep either by collection of carcass or put down and remove costs £20. All these go for cremation.

IrishMilo

Visit site

The thing is, your post is written from a place of privilege. Many people have horses by the skin of their teeth and can't afford the £300+ or whatever it is to have a vet come and put them down at home and then taken away and disposed of in the way you choose. For lots of people the prospect of getting some money back on a 'failed' investment is helpful or attractive. That doesn't make them bad people, nor is it indicative of a bad owner who cares any less. Unless the horse isn't fit to travel I really don't see a problem with it at all.

meleeka

Visit site
The number of people that have a licenced abattoir close enough must be very small these days. Im presuming that if you are having a horse pts, the number that are fit to travel more than a small distance is equally small. Therefore, for most owners the cost of pts must be found somehow.
The thing is, your post is written from a place of privilege. Many people have horses by the skin of their teeth and can't afford the £300+ or whatever it is to have a vet come and put them down at home and then taken away and disposed of in the way you choose. For lots of people the prospect of getting some money back on a 'failed' investment is helpful or attractive. That doesn't make them bad people, nor is it indicative of a bad owner who cares any less. Unless the horse isn't fit to travel I really don't see a problem with it at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: TPO

ihatework

Visit site

I didn’t find your post overly judgemental btw. Perhaps could have been worded better.

No I would never consider taking a beloved pet there unless I had no other option. It would be done at home, with a gun if possible.

That’s not to say I disapprove of people who do.

It’s a valid question ‘why do people take them there’ with I’m sure a number of perfectly valid answers

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
If you are going to split hairs. It wasn't intended as judgemental so apologies if it came across that way. Couldn't really give a monkeys what people do with their own horses to be honest with you I was just asking a question which may have caused offence but in no way by the way it HAS caused offence.

Honestly I heard that people spoil for an argument on this forum and from I can see I understand why I was told this.

When I lived in England I preferred to get the hunt to despatch horses, because it was quick, efficient, and actually cost nothing as the horse would be taken for flesh for the hounds (obviously some people don't like this idea, but my horses loved their hunting so it seemed right and fitting).

Occasionally a client would want their horse taken to Potters and yes, there probably was a money element involved in it, but again, it was a very calm and professional environment for end of life.

I have seen a hell of a lot of horses despatched by injection, and I can probably say that about 85% of them do not go completely smoothly, even if the horse is sedated first. I much much prefer the bullet, it is instant and the horse drops and that is that.

Where I live now, there is nobody that despatches with a gun, and I promise you that if I had somewhere like Potters to take them I'd certainly pick that over getting the vet out with his syringe, which is an end I really don't wish upon my beloved horses.

jenniehodges2001

Visit site
Of course it doesn't make them bad people for goodness sakes. I really didn't say it did. I was just asking was it due to financial implications or was it because it was local, quick and easy.

Thanks for the sensible non confrontational answers forum users.