Prascend dosage & larger horses

Nari

Visit site
Do any of you have big horses that are on Prascend, and if so would you mind telling me what dose?

My 16.2 ID, a substantial type, doesn't seem to be tolerating the grass at all well on his current dose & I'm going to try keeping him in for a couple of days to see if that makes him more comfortable. A couple of hours out makes him more footsore (though pulses not significantly up) & puffy around the eyes, I'm wondering if his dose needs upping but I want to talk to the vet who normally deals with him & she isn't on call this weekend.

Now I know the obvious answer to this is to blood test, but it isn't that simple in his case. He's dangerously needleshy & no amount of desensitisation works, dormosedan is hardly enough to get an IM jab in but nowhere adequate to get bloods. Add to that the couple of times we have managed to get bloods his results don't really tally with his symptoms or the improvement we got for putting him on Prascend & it hardly seems worth the risk involved. Also he's only just getting over a flare up with his ulcers & so stressing him is the very last thing we want to do.

Silverfire

Visit site
My 16.1hh middleweight partbred arab was on 1.5 tablets (ACTH was 91.4 when first tested last March) up until 6 weeks ago when he was retested at 105 so increased half, retested just over week ago and only down to 70 so hes now on 2.5 tablets a day. I don't think size/weight makes any difference to the dosage its how high the horses ACTH is.

Copperpot

Visit site
My friends 13.2 is on 3.5 tablets a day. This is near her maximum as the vet said 1 tablet per 100kg of body weight. She's regularly tested and hopefully can drop back down to 3 a day soon.

Nari

Visit site
Thank you both, that would suggest I may have some leeway on the dose since he's currently on two a day & that's certainly nowhere near the 1 tablet per 100kg bodyweight limit mentioned by Copperpot's vet. Thank you.

Micky

Visit site
Stress can alter the readings you get from the bloods for PPID so it will be tricky for your vet to get a clear reading... Sounds like you need to ( if you can) put him in a pretty bare paddock, and supplement him with soaked hay..now is a very hard time for laminitics/PPID/EMS horses, as the grass is coming through, prime time for footiness etc. I would wait to talk to your vet, Also please check out 'the equine metabolic syndrome cushings ppid' facebook page and Andrea can help you answer more questions. There is also a link to the laminitis site on there which is very helpful in answering questions regarding PPID/EMS/Laminitis. Also check his diet and make sure hes not having too much sugar or starch. Good luck, its tricky but manageable. My lad is 15.1 and on 2 tabs a day.

Nari

Visit site
Micky I have very little control on the paddock since he's at a livery yard, and he won't eat soaked hay (& I do mean won't eat, he'll end up on the floor with ulcers rather than eat it :( ). His diet is low sugar & starch, subject to the hay being in an ok range. Don't worry, I won't change his dose without talking to the vet first but I am going to keep him in for a couple of days & see if that helps. Thanks for the links, I'll have a read :)

Micky

Visit site
Ah, ok re soaked hay...Yes have a geek at links, i found them helpful and informative, just make sure you get the right FB site, there are a few but only this one has fact based stuff linked with laminitis site and vets worldwide.. Good luck :)