Prascend - where do you buy/ how much do you pay?

HashRouge

Visit site
My vet wants to charge me £220 for £160 tablets, which seems quite expensive, so I was wondering how much everyone else pays and whether there are any decent places you can get it cheaper online. My vet said they would charge £20 for a prescription.

DuckToller

Visit site
I buy mine from VetMedsDirect, and I think they work out at around £1.10 so cheaper than your vets but not a huge amount once you have paid for the prescription.

Just looked it up and they charge £165 plus postage for 160, plus postage although if you don't need them urgently I think it was free to post (waiting for mine to arrive).

Make sure you get a prescription for a decent amount and it will work out cheaper - my prescription was for 160, but I only bought 60 the first time to check that they would work. Pony coped on half a day, but by the time I needed more the first prescription had run out so I couldn't buy the rest (think they are only valid for 6 months). Just so you know!

JillA

Visit site
If you Google it you will get several websites who offer it at a good price - round about £1 per tablet, give or take, was what I paid. £20 is a lot for a prescription - mine charges £10 + VAT

HashRouge

Visit site
I buy mine from VetMedsDirect, and I think they work out at around £1.10 so cheaper than your vets but not a huge amount once you have paid for the prescription.

Just looked it up and they charge £165 plus postage for 160, plus postage although if you don't need them urgently I think it was free to post (waiting for mine to arrive).

Make sure you get a prescription for a decent amount and it will work out cheaper - my prescription was for 160, but I only bought 60 the first time to check that they would work. Pony coped on half a day, but by the time I needed more the first prescription had run out so I couldn't buy the rest (think they are only valid for 6 months). Just so you know!
That's still a fair bit cheaper really - I was hoping for under £200 so that sounds about right! My vet does seem to charge a huge mark up on anything it can get away with, including prescriptions!

How do you send the prescription? Do you post it or can you scan it and email it?

lelly

Visit site
I buy mine from Animed Direct 90p per tablet and free postage. You can upload the prescription with the order then they keep it on record until it has run out. The vet should be able to give you a prescription for six months at a time. They have to see your horse twice a year before they can give you a prescription. I have to pay £20 for my prescription as well which is a bit steep compared with others but it still works out much cheaper.

ihatework

Visit site
I'm lucky, my vets give free prescriptions (but then I do spend a lot with them otherwise!)
Each time I order prascend I google it, as price tends to vary.
I think last time I ordered it was Animed and was about 92p.
I'm pretty sure my vet gave me a prescription to cover a year (as I distinctly remember ordering 2 x boxes of 160), the prescription specifies the date range anyway, you can upload it via the pharmacy website and then re-use it if you want to order less tablets more frequently.

Olderrider

Visit site
Just checked my vet bill - £107.50 plus VAT £21.50, making it £129 for just 60 tablets! So glad I read this post! I'll be asking for a prescription to order online for sure.

EmmaB

Visit site
My vets charge £167 for 160 which is really good! I don't know how much a prescription would cost me but if it was £20 it would cost me more I think. Can't believe some vets are charging £220, it's expensive enough as it is!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I used to use vio vet but they are now charging £1.15 with free p & p...now use vetmedic who charge 95p and free p & p...my vet charges £17.50 but that allows me to buy 450 tablets

HashRouge

Visit site
Hey everyone just wanted to say thank you for all the suggestions! I've just ordered from Ani Med Direct, and if I include the £20 prescription fee and the extra postage I paid to have it delivered more quickly, I have saved over £45 which I'm really pleased about! My vets were a nightmare with the prescription - should have taken 48 hrs, but I only got it 10 days later (hence having to pay for faster postage)!! Anyone would think they didn't want you to buy elsewhere!

JillA

Visit site
My old mare has just been retested and has ACTH levels of over 700!! Upping her dose, but that makes it horrendously expensive, just pondering buying overseas - or is it too risky, quality wise? Does anyone know? As a rescue on total hay replacer diet plus Danilon it is a big ask to have to find at least another £14 per week.

Northern Hare

Visit site
I approached my vets and asked them if they could match the 90p/tablet price if I bought 160 at a time plus paid the £20 prescription price. They agreed to do that, so I buy from the vets.