Pre Breeding Scans

zaraanne

Visit site
It's my first experience of breeding via AI so sorry if this is a ridiculas question. I'm having one of my mares scanned on monday to check for fluid etc.. and to see if there is a follicle big enough. I've tried to keep track of her cycle for the past 3 months, but it's difficult as she's one of those mares who is sometimes an extreme tart, and sometimes nothing.

A woman on my yard offered the services of her little stallion as a teaser to try and get a clearer picture (she has since changed her mind??) so I'm not wondering if, when the vet scans her on Mon, is there a chance that he won't even be able to decipher when the follicle will be ready (as I can't keep a definate check on her season dates), and she won't have been teased to make it more obvious. I'm so confused... Help (thanks in advance for any answers)

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Assuming your vet is capable, he will have no trouble at all determining what stage of her cycle she is at. Our normal routine for AI is to scan to check the state of the uterus, map any cysts (some can look like very early pregnancies so it's worth knowing about them), check the size of any follicles and determine if there is a Corpus Luteum.

Provided there is a CL and a decent sized follicle, they are then given a shot of estrumate to bring them into season within 4 days. They are then scanned again to ensure the follicle is suitable and the mare IS in season, given a jab or Chorulon, and AI'd the next day. We never bother to tease with these mares although we have a very well-mannered stallion on site!

Thousands of mares get in foal safely each year without ever seeing a stallion!

zaraanne

Visit site
Thankyou... it's a relief to know that they will be able to determiner when (no matter what the follicle size), and they are are an approved AI vets, so hopefully that will fine. I am now baffled by your mention of Corpus Luteum (I hate being ignorant
frown.gif
, but what is it?

AndyPandy

Visit site
When the mare ovulates, the follicle breaks open and leaks follicular fluid and the egg into the oviduct. The space left behind fills with blood (corpus hemorrhagicum), which is gradually replaced with luteal tissue (corpus luteum). Literally it means "yellow body", because it's yellow!
smile.gif

The corpus luteum (CL)'s job is to secrete progesterone, the pro-pregnancy hormone. This is the hormone that prevents the mare being in season, and supports early pregnancy. If after 14 days or so the uterus hasn't detected a pregnancy, it produces prostaglandin which destroys the CL and allows the mare to return to oestrus.

Hope that helps!