Pre-Easter weekend plans

Pippity

Visit site
The one time in months that I've had something to report, and nobody started a weekend plans thread!

Anyway, today Esther Groen brought her riding simulator to my yard, and I had a biomechanics session. Her simulator is a strange beast - it isn't powered, but is full of springs and things that go 'clonk whirr sproing', so all the movement is generated by the rider. Very strange to sit on but it really makes you aware of your movement. It's surprisingly difficult to just sit there and not have any effect on the simulator.

I was astonished to discover that I'm actually pretty level. Two months flat on my back may have resulted in all my good muscles vanishing, but it's also got rid of all my bad muscles, so it isn't entirely bad.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
The one time in months that I've had something to report, and nobody started a weekend plans thread!

Anyway, today Esther Groen brought her riding simulator to my yard, and I had a biomechanics session. Her simulator is a strange beast - it isn't powered, but is full of springs and things that go 'clonk whirr sproing', so all the movement is generated by the rider. Very strange to sit on but it really makes you aware of your movement. It's surprisingly difficult to just sit there and not have any effect on the simulator.

I was astonished to discover that I'm actually pretty level. Two months flat on my back may have resulted in all my good muscles vanishing, but it's also got rid of all my bad muscles, so it isn't entirely bad.
That sounds like a really interesting session! Seems like you get feedback from how you're sitting in a way that other mechanical horses/simulators don't.

No horsey plans for me this weekend but I have a lesson on Good Friday and dressage writing at Oxstalls next weekend.

mavandkaz

Visit site
Went to working equitation clinic yesterday. Sham was a good boy and did his first full length bridge, and wooden gate. And we also did our first little jump in nearly 5yrs (I dont jump him due to his suspensory issues, but need to be able to pop a small jump for WE).
Then did some loading practice with my friends horse.
Will go for a hack this afternoon

Cloball

Visit site
Bought THE dress Saturday, had a little school today in the sunshine. Pony made me very proud by marching right up to the water tray which had blown across the school and contorted into a weird shape... investigated it and gave it a lick 😆🤦 My backs been progressively worse since the beginning of Feb which is driving me up the wall just when I wanted to start getting going for spring. Big exam in 2 weeks though so will be a bit quiet anyway.

Kunoichi73

Visit site
Actually doing something unusual this weekend - a 2 day horse archery course. Really enjoying it so far. It's also highlighting some issues with my basic riding - my lower legs move too much, which isn't a problem on RS ponies but on more sensitive horses I'm getting canter when I really want trot!

Chippers1

Visit site
I went to an actual, grass, xc! The only one that has opened in my area, it was understandably rather busy...!
Buzz was an absolute superstar, excited to start but kept his cool and jumped everything that I asked, we kept it small as he was with his horsey friend who hasn't been before (and he was also good) but it's given me so much confidence ahead of a hunter trial that I have next month.

Alibear

Visit site
Had a lovely Friday at the Craig Johnson Ranch clinic, and Amber impressed, she is very flexible and happy to move her body as asked and understands that leg on doesn't always mean go faster. She can do all the lateral work well now and in all paces. Then on Saturday, Craig made us all work on working western rail, I was playing safe, staying to the inside as I'm having issues with Amber on the rail at the moment. After the 3rd time Crag told me to go the rail I thought, we're in extended jog, which is her favourite pace and she's gone down that rail hundreds of times previously, so I gave it a shot. Things got bouncy, I pulled the bounce got bigger but dropping the contact and shouting woha worked :D Unfortunately, our acrobatics set others off, so it all got a little intense for a bit. But we all got settled, I stayed to the inside without further comment and later on she showed off her spins, she now goes so fast the ends of my reins fly forward with the speed of the spin and we dragged the log nicely, I managed a good dally on the move (wrap the rope around the saddle horn) and we walked and jogged. She is a funny little mare, 4 years in and I'm still trying to figure her out, difficult things are fine but do something simple and she starts to make her own entertainment.
I brought her home yesterday as she's been at Sovereign for a month's training and she was very happy to be in the field and see her friends again. We rode in the arena yesterday afternoon and worked on our circles at X homework and she was very well-behaved. I just hope it stays that way.
Joe Midgley and other professionals were in the other group at the clinic so it was good to see them working as well. A very educational weekend.

TheMule

Visit site
I'm a bit late to this, but Nova went to his first ever SJ competition and won his class so I have now registered him with BS as I think he's ready to go out and win some money 🤞 I want to event him this season too, but SJ makes a lot more sense logistically, and appeals to my competitive nature! His mother was a really consistent winner to 1.10 level and I think he will be the same, hopefully a little bigger if I'm brave….

IMG_1925.jpeg

j1ffy

Visit site
Nova looks great @TheMule! I hope he avoids any more self-harm incidents and you get in a full season with him.

Had a fab jumping lesson on Chilli on Monday evening, although generally buzzy he was very relaxed and focused towards the jumps and I felt I could be a little more demanding about how he approached a fence rather than sitting quietly and waiting for him to figure it out. He was so chilled that I even clicked at him at one point approaching a fence - I never thought I'd see the day 🤣. I now mostly need to work on my own bravery!

TheMule

Visit site
Nova looks great @TheMule! I hope he avoids any more self-harm incidents and you get in a full season with him.

Had a fab jumping lesson on Chilli on Monday evening, although generally buzzy he was very relaxed and focused towards the jumps and I felt I could be a little more demanding about how he approached a fence rather than sitting quietly and waiting for him to figure it out. He was so chilled that I even clicked at him at one point approaching a fence - I never thought I'd see the day 🤣. I now mostly need to work on my own bravery!

God, I hope so! You literally couldn’t make his antics up though, so I always expect the unexpected….

Great that Chilli is enjoying his jumping…. Pictures required!

j1ffy

Visit site
God, I hope so! You literally couldn’t make his antics up though, so I always expect the unexpected….

Great that Chilli is enjoying his jumping…. Pictures required!
I need to do some re-training with my OH first. Last time he came he took multiple videos of me jumping a tiny jump (Chilli's intro to fillers) at the far end of the school but missed the meaty* oxer right in front of him (he thought he'd pressed record but evidently hadn't...) 😆

*That's my definition...it wasn't more than 80cm...

Cloball

Visit site
Lesson of 4 seasons today we had blinding sunshine with blue skies, rain, wind, hail and a rainbow to finish 😅 really cracked the leg yield now can yield to both sides evenly down the centre line. Trot was much more even on both reins today so our homework appears to be helping. Tried her in a bomber happy tongue for a few weeks and she seems much better in the contact in the OG bit now 😂. But the best bit was she didn't try to deck me in the hail which she would have last year!