Pictures PRE mistaken for quarter horse?

quizzie

Visit site
QH's tend to have a small head, very big hip and downhill built. Your mare looks fairly Spanish.

My KWPN mare (Tuigpard/Gelderlander lines) was thought to be a TB by a vet. The vet wrote "does not comply with Jockey club" on the vaccine section of her passport. I am still not sure why, she was a happy hacker so even if she had been a TB, why write that?

That will just have meant that her vaccination intervals did not comply with the jockey club regulations for competition horses, so if you had wanted to compete her, she would have needed to restart her vaccinations. No problem if you weren’t competing, and nothing to do with her breeding.

Inda

Visit site
Oh, what a good laugh that is.

Oh... I'm starting to rememer now... I think I have admired this horse from afar... a photo you once put up, not that long ago... and she looks nothing like a QH. However, we all have out blind spots I suppose. Get me talking on colour genetics and I get tangled up very well.

I can’t figure out her colour. She obviously grey so it’s not worth genetic testing for colour. It’s like a red roan, but not one horse from the breeder has any roaning.

It only appeared after we started the oncept which modulates the melanocytes.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I can’t figure out her colour. She obviously grey so it’s not worth genetic testing for colour. It’s like a red roan, but not one horse from the breeder has any roaning.

That would be what’s often termed rose grey, usually a phase during a chestnut turning grey.

Lois Lame

Visit site
I would say she's a bay or chestnut with the grey gene.

Sounds interesting but I have no clue what that means.

ThreeFurs

Visit site
I've had similar out hunting on a branded WB.

Same. At a dressage comp with my now retired wb; [with his beautiful Oldenberg 'roman' nose profile, and his famous uncle Ravel, Stefan Peter's horse] and the woman whose trailer was parked next to mine said 'what a lovely Standardbred, he's let down well'.

Rusty Rider

Visit site
On Welshies being confused for Arabs, wasn’t Arab blood used to lighten the breed? I always thought that was where they got their fine, often dished, heads from.

Same with QH/mustangs - those would carry quite a bit of Spanish blood from back in the days I’d expect, but still, hard to confuse…

My sister’s mare is a typical Anglo-Arab (the French registered breed, not a “cross”) - fine legs, pretty refined head, built like a whippet, but falls just short of the breed requirement for Arab blood, so she ended up registered on the Selle Français stud-book, despite barely any SF blood. That stud-book must be pretty open when it comes to conformation as she looks nothing like a typical SF, and everyone always assumes she’s an AA ?

marmalade76

Visit site
Same. At a dressage comp with my now retired wb; [with his beautiful Oldenberg 'roman' nose profile, and his famous uncle Ravel, Stefan Peter's horse] and the woman whose trailer was parked next to mine said 'what a lovely Standardbred, he's let down well'.

???

I think I'd be a bit offended by that TBH.

Tarragon

Visit site
I know a bit off topic of Spanish PRE horses, I am always surprised when a horsey professional doesn't recognise my Exmoor ponies as being an Exmoor pony - surely one of the most obvious and oldest native pony breeds that exist.
However, if the vet went to the medical school at the Royal (Dick) Vet school, they tend to know about Exmoor ponies as it owns a herd of them, and even have an Exmoor Pony Trekking Centre https://www.exmoorponytrekking.co.uk!

Palindrome

Visit site
That will just have meant that her vaccination intervals did not comply with the jockey club regulations for competition horses, so if you had wanted to compete her, she would have needed to restart her vaccinations. No problem if you weren’t competing, and nothing to do with her breeding.

Does the Jockey club regulates vaccinations for all competitions?

We did go out to a few unaffiliated dressage later on, but I would think it's BD or the FEI that decide the vaccination calendar for those.

I also don't see why she had to write that in the passport without being asked, it was just a missed booster a few years back, none of her business really. She was treating the horse for a hoof abscess due to brusing.

quizzie

Visit site
Does the Jockey club regulates vaccinations for all competitions?

We did go out to a few unaffiliated dressage later on, but I would think it's BD or the FEI that decide the vaccination calendar for those.

I also don't see why she had to write that in the passport without being asked, it was just a missed booster a few years back, none of her business really. She was treating the horse for a hoof abscess due to brusing.

No they don't, but it was always how the required intervals for competition horses were referred to. In recent years, each of the different disciplines have varied how often they require flu boosters, but the original 1st and 2nd vaccination intervals, plus the 1st booster have stayed the same.