Pre-purchase vetting - RVC

Caramac71

Visit site
We are looking to buy a horse in Buckinghamshire and have received a very competitive quote for a 5 stage vetting from RVC.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of using them for vettings? And any idea why their prices might be approx 30% lower than other vets in the area? It would be great to save a bit of money if we can but we are slightly concerned by the price difference!

Last edited:

EllenJay

Visit site
I haven't used the RVC for vetting - but have used them as my regular vets - they are always very good. I would recommend them.

Sealine

Visit site
They are my regular vet. My personal choice would be Nick Hart. I've heard good things about Jason Tupper.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
We are looking to buy a horse in Buckinghamshire and have received a very competitive quote for a 5 stage vetting from RVC.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of using them for vettings? And any idea why their prices might be approx 30% lower than other vets in the area? It would be great to save a bit of money if we can but we are slightly concerned by the price difference!

I think they are a teaching college, in which case they may use your vetting to teach trainee vets and that could be the price difference. Also, are you going to take the horse to them instead of them coming to you? That would be a normal thing with a big practice. Check too if they have included VAT.

Caramac71

Visit site
I think they are a teaching college, in which case they may use your vetting to teach trainee vets and that could be the price difference. Also, are you going to take the horse to them instead of them coming to you? That would be a normal thing with a big practice. Check too if they have included VAT.

Thank you, I wondered that, about training (and have no issue with it if that is the case).

The price includes 5 stage exam, call out, taking of bloods and storage (for 6 months). Running bloods would be extra, as would x-rays, which would be the same with any vet.

As we've gone waaaaaay over budget on the horse :D it will be good to save a few pounds if we can, but I thought it was best to check if there was a hidden catch. Hopefully not!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site

They send out students for most Monday to Friday calls in term time and overall I wouldn't say they are much cheaper than other vets in the area. Students also help out when you go there and in the hospital. One of the big pluses are the communication skills, having to explain things on a daily basis to students on their first large animal rotation, makes them very good at talking to owners.

Their pricing structure means some things are cheaper and others are more expensive than other vets but it evens out. I did notice in their website that vettings are very reasonably priced and do include vat. Unfortunately last few times I've been out of their catchment for vetting.

catembi

Visit site
I used them when I bought Cody. He failed on lameness in front, but he was b/f, flat footed & the ground being used had lots of loose stones so very ouchy. Anyway, following the failure I still hadn't made up my mind what to do & the vet took it upon herself to discuss the report in great detail with the dealer immediately after the vetting without my permission. They then didn't send a bill & I assumed that it was because they realised that they had totally broken client confidentiality etc. A YEAR later, I got a very nasty letter/final demand...they had been sending bills to an address where I hadn't lived for quite some time, despite being fully aware of the new address. They then demanded payment within 24 hours...when their letter didn't include either the amount or their bank details. I brought this to their attention and they sent another letter with neither amount nor payment details.

If they send out students, that would explain a lot.

Bernster

Visit site
They’re my vet practice. Check who’s doing it - the ones I’ve used all seem capable but you might want one of the more senior vets if it’s an expensive purchase! Jason Tupper and Gonçalo I think are particularly rated for lameness.

Uliy

Visit site
They are my vet practice and are very good. I’ve not had a bad experience with any of the vets, although Jason can be a bit concise in his assessment so be prepared to ask questions if you don’t understand or need to know more!

I have also never had a student attend to my horse without a qualified vet there. They sometimes come to do no more than observe or perform very small tasks (e.g taking temperature). I would be very surprised if a student carried out your pre purchase examination.

Their finance department can be another story, but IME of vettings you pay first if you’re not a client (but mine was not with RVC).

(Re client confidentiality and pre purchase vettings, have a look at 7.11 here https://www.rcvs.org.uk/setting-sta...ng-guidance/equine-pre-purchase-examinations/)

Edit: couldn’t trust my own memory!

EJJ999

Visit site
Have used RVC Jason Tupper for a vetting and no issues. As I am out of that area we use Buckingham Equine Vets for our everyday vets and can't rate them highly enough. They might be within your area?