Predicting Height - How Accurate? [pics]

Woolly Hat n Wellies

Visit site
How accurately can you predict the adult height of an 18 month old?

Graham is 18 months, currently standing at about 12.2hh, very bum high, and quite chunky. His measurement from the middle of his knee to his coronet band suggests (after multiple attempts, not helped by Graham also trying to read the measuring tape!) that he might end up around 13.2 - 14hh. Does this sound feasible? Or have I done it completely wrong?

Mum is a 12.2hh Welsh X, although X-what I don't know. Graham was an unexpected BOGOF, so dad is a complete mystery.

I'm 5ft 5, and fairly slim, with short legs (I have to buy my jeans from the 'petit' section, or I end up treading on them!) so if he can make a chunky 14hh, or even 13.3 at a push, I might be able to get away with keeping him as my next pony. Any smaller and I don't think it'll be possible, which will be disappointing.

This is Graham (and his mum) sorry I haven't got any really good conformation shots. The whole farm is on a hillside! Mum is the coloured, Graham is the black scruffy thing.

DSCF4841_zpsdubhzcgb.jpg

DSCF4744_zpsofw635lv.jpg

Bessi

Visit site
They often say add 2 hands from yearling height and a hand from two year old height so you may make it, as a native he will also be slow growing and keep filling out until he's about 7..

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I find the most accurate predictor is hole a string at the point of elbow and stretch it down to the ergot, then keep it held at the point of elbow and rotate the other end up to above the withers (holding the string taught). This should give you the final height. I measured my filly age 2 and it said she would end up 15.1 and she is now 5 and 15.1. I didn't believe she would make it. I did the knee to coronet measurement and it said she would be 14 hands. But she was already 14.1 by then! Your yearling looks like he has at least two hands to go to me.

Woolly Hat n Wellies

Visit site
Thank you both.

Wagtail, I've tried the method you suggested this afternoon and it came up at 14hh! Got my fingers very tightly crossed, and Graham has been informed that he has to try really hard to grow from now on.

Woolly Hat n Wellies

Visit site
No idea but had to look at photos of the marvelous Graham! How exactly did he end up with that name? (Which I love btw)

It started off as a joke. His foal coat was grey, and as his mum had been sold as 'not in foal this time' our original intention was to send them both back, so we didn't think he'd be called Graham for long. That fell through, my mum and I fell in love with him, and by then the name had stuck! Everyone remembers him, at least, people are always asking after him!