Pregnancy and riding

indie999

Visit site
http://www.rcog.org.uk/womens-health/clinical-guidance/exercise-pregnancy

You should avoid exercise or sports where there is a risk of being hit in the abdomen, such as martial arts. You should take extra care during activities where there is a risk of falling or losing your balance, such as cycling and horse riding
Read more at http://www.fpa.org.uk/help-and-advice/planning-pregnancy#io6L1S1ctAIjLoD4.99

Remember that your balance etc joints do change during pregnancy too. I disagree that you could have a car accident etc but you hopefully are more in control in a car(that said cant be of other drivers)! Horses are unpredictable blah blah.Its the risk element.

Personally I would turn horse away if no one to ride it. Its a few months only am sure the horse wont be that devastated. Congratulations with the pregnancy & yes it has been done before.

littlemisslauren

Visit site
I really hope this thread doesn't turn into a slanging match regarding women taking too many risks or wrapping themselves in cotton wool.

As I said, I stopped riding at 14 weeks which was MY decision regarding the risks to my unborn baby. I continued to care for 20 horses a day (Groom) up until 24 weeks, when I collapsed in a stable and my doctor refused to allow me back to work. I did too much and I would never have forgiven myself had something happened to my baby because I was stubborn.

I do not judge others if they ride whilst pregnant, its not my baby in their belly so I have no right to care. It is all about weighing up risks and deciding what level of risk you are happy with.

I don't have my own horse (Don't have time for one outside of work) but if I did it would have gone out on loan if not sold. I seriously have no time these days!

Gluttonforpunishment

Visit site
Littlemisslauren - totally agree, it is each persons choice, no one elses. You assess each risk as an individual and make your mind up what works for you.

farrierswife

Visit site
First of all thank you for all the congratulation messages :)

Like littlemisslauren I didn't want this to turn into a slagging match. I was just curious to hear other people's experiences of riding whilst pregnant, and it has been interesting reading. I think I am just going to go with the flow and let my body tell me when enough is enough. Having said that I am only really just plodding around the lanes on my little pony. I stopped jumping and riding other people's "quirky" horses as soon as I found out.

Gingernut81 when is your due date? I am 4th January so it will be a big Christmas/new year for me in more ways than one!!

Happy riding to everyone (pregnant or not) and to those that are pregnant hope all goes smoothly for you. This is my first so it's venturing into the unknown for me :confused: haha

BSJAlove

Visit site
My little girl was born on the 4th jan this year so good luck! Best advice ever... Go out on new years and dance all night! I did that and I had cramps from the next day, waters went the day after and baby was born very early morning on the 4th! She was born a week early so fingers crossed bub doesn't keep you waiting til after! We're expecting number two already (gulp) and morning sickness has started. So I'm going to look for a sharer for my girl, that way i can ride on my 'good days!'

Hope everything goes smoothly op. special times ahead, keep active and enjoy every second of being pregnant!