Pregnancy, Babies and Horses - HELP!

AppleBon12

Visit site
Hi All,

Bit of a different question this time - am currently 20 weeks pregnant and need help! After seeking advice from midwife and GP I carried on riding after finding out I was pregnant, much to partners disapproval at first but slowly have had to reduce what I am doing with my welsh.

Quick bit of back history for those who don't know I have a 14.3hh welsh mare who I have been working on reschooling/getting fit after buying her from a field (she literally rolled in she was so big). We had just got to the stage where she was starting to use her back, we had introduce grillwork (small fences) and lots of hacking (getting over her fear of large vehicles). Feed wise she was on a handful of fast fibre and Hi-fi good doer, literally as a token feed but have cut this out, she is turned out during the day (cannot turn out overnight now) and has a small haylage net overnight.

With the pregnancy, I have pretty much had to give up schooling and jumping as I find myself physically dying (slightly dramatic but struggling with my own fitness) after a couple of laps of the school. So we have a little girl who loans who comes for lessons twice a week on her to keep up the schooling, my friend jumps her occasionally and I am just sticking to hacking.

The problem I have is she is so full of beans now - hacking yesterday, a nice slow trot round the field with a friend, something spooked her and we shot off across the field, tail between her legs, neck locked to the floor and I literally could not stop. Partner obviously not happy as it is a miracle I managed to stay on, plus this isn't the first time a week or two ago the same thing had happened but I had managed to stop fairly quick. She is not a bolter by any means, usually its pony club kicks and lots of encouragement to keep her going but I literally had no brakes at all just had to brace, pull one rein and pray that I stayed on.

Today, she became very bolshy, pushed me over on the horse walker and took off down the fields. Took me forever to catch her and when I did she was really het up, straight into the paddock and lunged her to get some energy out.

But my problem is I don't know what to do - it feels like all the work I am doing is unravelling and I have a pony that I am now starting to worry about riding because it's unsafe for the baby. Really fed up and feel stuck :(

On one hand I'm thinking do I just go back to ground work, lots of lunging and free schooling then just let her loaner ride twice a week or do I admit that I need to just stop everything until the baby?

Note: Loaner cannot increase days and finding another loaner is impossible have tried this and all interested were time wasters. Cannot pay instructor to ride as I have been made redundant and money is tight.

be positive

Visit site
I would stop riding but allow the loaner to continue with the lessons as long as the pony does not get too tricky for that with the reduced workload, a lunge or two each week may be enough to keep her sane and if your friend can ride once in a while it should help, if she does not suit this regime then turn her away until after the baby but I would try to keep her going if possible.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Turn her away. I had to with my just backed 4yo (17.3 as well) and we picked up 10 months later with no harm done. Personally I believe riding is too high risk during pregnancy, a view also held by my obs & gynae consultant OH.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I don't think riding when pregnant is bad per se, but not on a horse that is displaying unwanted behaviours, the risk is just too great then IMO.

I would personally turn away until you are ready to start again. Selling would have been an option when she was going well, or if you could pay to have someone get her back into the swing, but it seems that the moment for that has passed. I guess the prospect of the sharer having lessons would depend on the competence of the sharer. If the horse was lunged the day before she/he rode and they were competent then this could work.

For the lack of stress though, I would turn away.