Pregnancy improving lameness??

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I have a friend with a chronically lame pony. 8k of treatment, 3 X bouts or ulcers over last 2 years and vets say they can do no more. Both front suspensories apparently. They had made the decision to PTS when a local vet physio offered to have the pony saying she would rehab her (how?) and then put her in foal 'as this makes horses stronger'. Every instinct tells me that this is horribly unfair on the pony but I have plenty of gaps in my knowledge so maybe I am just not aware of the pregnancy treatment approach. She (physio) says this is common practice. Thoughts?

TheMule

Visit site
It IS horribly unfair on the pony and also the very worst reason for breeding a foal which is going to potentially inherit the same weaknesses as its dam.
Later term pregnancy hormones relax ligaments so I dread to think what affect that will have on already compromised structures with the weight of the foal to carry as well ?

Equi

Visit site
I know a few who impregnated arthritic mares because it is said to ease them. It’s not something I would be willing to do despite having a very unique stallion just up the road from me (and I have a mare who isn’t related to him) ?

if they do get eased by the pregnancy then it will only hit them tenfold again after birth and make looking after a foal very stressful.

Hackback

Visit site
I know someone who was given the same advice by a vet when their mare damaged a ligament years ago, I think the theory was that the pregnancy hormones help increase the production of new cells which speeds the healing process, something like that anyway.

They did put the mare in foal and she made a full recovery, although who knows whether that was due to the pregnancy or just the rest. And I don't know how bad her injury was either, but yes it was advice from a vet. Maybe it's one of those outdated theories?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I know someone who was given the same advice by a vet when their mare damaged a ligament years ago, I think the theory was that the pregnancy hormones help increase the production of new cells which speeds the healing process, something like that anyway.?

Yes that is the sort of rationale being used

Hackback

Visit site
I seem to remember some sort of scandal involving a (human) marathon? runner getting pregnant and then having an abortion before the race because the pregnancy hormones gave her an advantage.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I seem to remember some sort of scandal involving a (human) marathon? runner getting pregnant and then having an abortion before the race because the pregnancy hormones gave her an advantage.

It was normal for Russian gymnasts, apparently. And perfectly legal, of course, even if it's morally repugnant.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have a friend with a chronically lame pony. 8k of treatment, 3 X bouts or ulcers over last 2 years and vets say they can do no more. Both front suspensories apparently. They had made the decision to PTS when a local vet physio offered to have the pony saying she would rehab her (how?) and then put her in foal 'as this makes horses stronger'. Every instinct tells me that this is horribly unfair on the pony but I have plenty of gaps in my knowledge so maybe I am just not aware of the pregnancy treatment approach. She (physio) says this is common practice. Thoughts?

I cannot think of any reason for breeding from an unsound horse, especially when you don't know the cause of the unsoundness. Why would you risk passing on a genetic deformity?

alexomahony

Visit site
I know this is quite an old thread but I’ve been thinking about it for a while.

I wonder if pregnant horses appear sound as a survival thing. A lame horse in the wild is very vulnerable, but if a mare was pregnant, I wonder if she’d work harder to mask any lameness to keep foetus safe from harm?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
This situation has upset me so much. Mare was covered within days of going to the physio. So much for ‘get her right then….’ I am so, so angry about it. I don’t blame my non horsey friend really , or her daughter who loved and cared for the pony for years. They are trusting a professional who they (and we all) have used for years. I am beyond furious with the physio and she will never come near one of my horses again. It just makes no sense to me how people can be so selfish and irresponsible. I keep hoping I’m wrong and someone will come along and say ‘this is a great idea because….’! But pretty much everyone on here and IRL are horrified.

windand rain

Visit site
Not quite the same but Hazel only had a foal because she was recovering from injury and was a rare breed with very rare lines. I did it A to replace her should she not recover and b to maintain the bloodline. I don't know if it was the foal or the extra field rest but barring a few arhritic changes she made a full recovery. I personally think it was pregnancy hormones as she had a good six months rest before being brought back into work and was still intermittently lame