Pregnancy, riding and down time for horse

Sprat

Visit site
As I am going to balloon in the not too distant future, I have a bit of a plan for Bean but I'm unsure of what order to do things in.

I am currently still riding and I hope to be able to carry on for a few months yet (15weeks pregnant now). I have already spoken to Super-Instructor who has said she is happy to school Bean a few times a week for me when I get too fat, but I'm not sure when to get her to do this.

I'd like to be able to carry on riding for as long as possible, but I'm then not sure what to do. Should I get S-I to school her for me as soon as I get too fat and then let the mare have some downtime? Or would it be best to give her a break of a month or two, slowly bring her back into groundwork / lunge work and then get S-I to school so she is ready for me to hop back on post baby? I'm wondering of the benefit to the mare; more beneficial to have some schooling and then a break ready for me to bring back into work, or a break, then schooling ready for me to hop back on? Or even a mix of schooling before / after the break?

She will be no trouble bringing back into work after a break, so I have no concerns in that regard as she is really a very good girl and doesn't get silly with time off (I am very lucky!)

What have others done in this situation? Or the alternative is to not give her a break at all, for me to continue to do bits on the ground and have her schooled by instructor, and just keep her going ready for me to ride again?

Decisions decisions. Can those in similar situations advise what they have done in the past? Anything you would have changed?

Littlebear

Visit site
I had a friend ride and my instructor keep the horse ticking over. Had it been winter I probably would have been more inclined to just give them the time off.

A lot would depend for me what set up you have to be able to ride once the baby is here, if you have help and can get plenty of riding in still I would be more inclined to give the break as you can commit more to the programme of bringing the horse back into work, if you are more likely to want to ride here and there when you can (keeping in mind at the moment you don't know what kind of labour recovery you may need, (c-section or episiotomy could set the time back even more) then keeping the horse going so you can hop on when you fancy may be more appealing x

MagicMelon

Visit site
Ive had 3 kids now, rode as far through each pregnancy as I could. I keep my horses at home so didnt have the offer of anyone to help exercise mine so I just gave mine time off and then lunged quite a bit before I got back on after baby. If I had the option of someone working my horse though, I think Id just chuck horse into field for a break once Id finished riding then get them to start bringing the horse back into work perhaps a month before you're due? Thatd probably give you 6 - 8 weeks (depending how soon you want to get riding again) to get going again. As someone who has had a c-section and tears etc. I did get on probably too soon so did still feel a bit delicate but I dont think anyone wants to fall off or be thrown about on something excitable / just back in work after having a baby! Even though yours sounds very sensible, itd still give you that extra piece of mind that if she'd been worked then you could really trust her to just hop on and get going again.

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
I have 2 horses at home. One injured himself so that simplified my life a bit but then I just had the older one to worry about.

I rode until 34 weeks, then it just got too hard and I was too big.

I didn’t have the option of someone riding for me and I was conscious that at 18, I didn’t want Coolie to have too much time off so I lunged over poles a few times a week, and did the same with Henry before he came back into work. It was middle of winter for us so the weather did make it trickier. In the end Coolie had about 3 weeks off totally.

I was back on 4 weeks after. I trusted both my boys, even the younger one to get straight back on.

We are now 14 weeks into baby raising and back up to full speed, but we are much more relaxed than pre baby. I’m very grateful for a supportive husband. And we have found what works for us.

conniegirl

Visit site
I got told no riding at 6 weeks pregnant due to complications.
Cobbus was turned away. Ellie is now 6 months old and ive only ridden a few times as I’ve not lost my pregnancy weight enough to get back on him. I wouldn’t have been able to for a minimum of 6 weeks anyway as i had emergency csection

Last edited:

texenstar

Visit site
Hello! I am currently 14 weeks pregnant and also planning to keep on riding as long as I can. My plan is to do lots of in hand work once I feel to big too ride to keep them ticking over. Then will probably just hop on again once i feel up for it after I've had the baby :) I have mine at home and they live out 24/7 with shelter so that keeps them from getting too bored or unfit. Of course, at the minute this is just the plan! Whether or not this happens is a mystery :D

I don't think breaks do horses any harm in the long run but of course it depends on the horse and your set up :)

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I stopped at 12 weeks due to sickness and pain. By the time I felt better my body had changed so much I didn’t trust myself to get back on. Pony was still ridden by mum and sharer but it was gentle hacking. I then got back on after 4 weeks (c section birth) and started off with 10 mins of walk and trot, then after a couple of weeks I did canter in two point and now at 13 weeks I can sit the canter for a few laps of the school and even popped a tiny cross pole! But since 6 weeks post partum I have been going to 3-4 gym classes a week so that has helped me get my strength back.

I put on 2.5 stone but by the time I got back on pony I had lost 1.5 stone again (yay breastfeeding). Haven’t weighed myself since but I know I have a few stone leeway with pony.

Sprat

Visit site
Thanks all, useful to know.
I’m barely showing atm and still fitting comfortably into my size 10 jeans so I’m hoping not to get too huge too soon, but as and when I do I’ve decided to give some time off and then bring back into work with the help of instructor and some kind friends who have said they will hop on.