Pregnant mares, foal gender, and the "nail test"

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Bad luck magic, fingers x the nail test will let you know right!

Only because I am sad & want a filly so much & that cycle was bang on if you believe in the moon thing. If this offspring ever gets born & only inherits a fraction of the honesty of its parents I will be happy. The mare is just proving to be as honest as the day is long. She jumped a course of 104cm yesterday, though that is not big, it was the 1st course she has done in at least 4yrs if not longer, not one stop, run out, just popped them in turn. Should say she has been doing trot poles, loose jumping, etc to build her up to it. She was not just expected to jump a course after all this time!

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Saturday, 19 March 2011, 07:10:06 pm
Monday, 18 April 2011, 04:44:00 am
Tuesday, 17 May 2011, 01:08:42 pm
Wednesday, 15 June 2011, 10:13:36 pm [**]
Friday, 15 July 2011, 08:39:36 am
Saturday, 13 August 2011, 08:57:30 pm
Monday, 12 September 2011, 11:26:42 am

Ovulated 9 Apr Lunch time, is this in the filly time?

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
Saturday, 19 March 2011, 07:10:06 pm
Monday, 18 April 2011, 04:44:00 am
Tuesday, 17 May 2011, 01:08:42 pm
Wednesday, 15 June 2011, 10:13:36 pm [**]
Friday, 15 July 2011, 08:39:36 am
Saturday, 13 August 2011, 08:57:30 pm
Monday, 12 September 2011, 11:26:42 am

Ovulated 9 Apr Lunch time, is this in the filly time?

The moon phase for 9th April 2011 is a male phase :(

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
However if we use the foal moon predictor as in:-

The optimum time to breed for a filly is from the day before or the day of the first quarter to a few days after the full moon and for colts, the day before or the day of the last quarter until a few days after the new moon. These times change by a day or two each month and there are 2 or three transitional days between each where you have a 50/50 chance of getting a filly or a colt."

The 9th April is in the transitional days, being between a new moon and the first quarter so it would give you the prediction of 50/50

I hope its a filly as I know how if feels to really really want one too :(

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
However if we use the foal moon predictor as in:-

The optimum time to breed for a filly is from the day before or the day of the first quarter to a few days after the full moon and for colts, the day before or the day of the last quarter until a few days after the new moon. These times change by a day or two each month and there are 2 or three transitional days between each where you have a 50/50 chance of getting a filly or a colt."

The 9th April is in the transitional days, being between a new moon and the first quarter so it would give you the prediction of 50/50

I hope its a filly as I know how if feels to really really want one too :(

It makes me look like a right sado, but I love my mares & 20yrs ago that is all I bred as well, everyone was a filly!! Since I started again (the 1st was not choice) they have been colts. I have told my vets that if she needs to be pinched I dont want to know (she released 2) because if it is a colt I will be sick to think it was the filly that was pinched. Thanks Cruiseline for giving me a bit of hope.

velv

Visit site
I did the nail test on my pony whos due tomorrow (no imminent signs yet tho) and it said colt.... also keep seeing 4 magpies together ha! really want a filly tho so hoping all superstition is wrong

Pony_Puzz

Visit site
Did the nail test today and was swinging in a circle so I'm assuming by the link that means a filly?
She was covered 18th June 2010 though so not sure if thats a filly/cold moon phase and she also very flirty (for her!) at the moment. I would be pleased if it was a filly or a colt, so long as its healthy :)

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
Did the nail test today and was swinging in a circle so I'm assuming by the link that means a filly?
She was covered 18th June 2010 though so not sure if thats a filly/cold moon phase and she also very flirty (for her!) at the moment. I would be pleased if it was a filly or a colt, so long as its healthy :)

The 19th June was the start of the first quarter and the optimum time for a filly is from the first quarter to the new moon, so that would also suggest a filly, I hope its right and you get what you wanted :D

gingerfilly

Visit site
I did it with my mares last night, onw of which is now 375 days in foal!!! :/
Result was I got 3 colts and 2 fillies....... Always knew I would get more colts lol! However the one over due is the one I really though was carrying a filly, but it says she is carrying a colt so will be interesting to see if it comes true or not ;)

RedsandStud

Visit site
both my mares are due in the next week so i did the nail test the other day...
the results say that...
my 17 year old is having a colt
my 5 year old is having a filly
and 'thankfully' the stallion isn't having a foal at all! :D

... so now we'll have to wait and see!

me_n_super_abby

Visit site
Well, tried it on my mare today as i have been worrying as she is still hiding well.It moved the same way as usual for a colt and i tried it a couple of time in a wind free stable.

I tried it on another mare who was covered last year but did not hold but we still wondered as she was huge (just a fatty) the nail stayed still!

Still convinced there is something to this! I have enjoyed seeing the results!

gingerfilly

Visit site
Well so far out of 4 foals its been right 3 times, I got a super suprise when the foal we had on Monday morning turned out to be a filly instead of a colt! So Have got one left to see if it works or not ;)

me_n_super_abby

Visit site
Has anyone tried it on mares that have not been in foal and its stayed still? Just out of interest to see if it works in the sense of staying still if no baby?:rolleyes:

Pony_Puzz

Visit site
Yep my gelding and all 3 of my other mares are all stationary. Only the mare thats been covered moves :) so I sort of believe it except it almost said my shetland gelding was having a filly but then stopped too :p

velv

Visit site
nail test said colt and a colt it was. Tried it on my other preggo mare and it cant make up its mind.... one minute it circles then in a straight line so maybe a he-she foal will be produced :S I hope not....