Prelim Dressage - do I or don't I?

pitter_patter

Visit site
I am having a debate with my friend & I can find anything on the BD website!!

If I want to just do affiliated Prelim Dressage - do I need to be a member of BE or can I just fill out an entry form and go?

She reckons I can, but I think I need to be a member?

Who is right?

Cheers :)

wilde2

Visit site
"In order to be eligible to ride in affiliated competitions or register as the owner of a horse/pony with
British Dressage, it is necessary to be a member of British Dressage except for Introductory, Preliminary
non-qualifying sections or classes and those entering using a class ticket." from BD rule book - hope that helps.

Bethie

Visit site
As I understand it... Rule change as of 1st December 2012 is that you and the horse will need to be at least an Associate member/horse to compete at Prelim after that date, you will be able to get the newly introduced Prelim points on the horse's record should you score highly enough, which will allow you to qualify for Regionals. Associate membership for both you and horse is free though - no extra cost involved, just a way of keeping records fully up to date as to who's scored what in which classes.

Up to then you can just enter, but need to enter the non qualifier classes/sections.

ldlp111

Visit site
Sorry to hi-jack ....

I assume I am already a associate member as I receive the emails, but how do I register my horse? :)

Bethie

Visit site
The rule change has only just recently been announced, and there is nothing on the website yet for registering an associate horse. It is to be set up in time for December so just keep an eye on the BD website in the meantime!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Points only apply at Novice and above...

Rule changes effective from 1/12 as Bethie says above:

"Preliminary classes
These classes will be brought into line with all other levels and qualification obtained by obtaining points, rather than winning classes. The criteria will be 19 points in Prelim Qualifier classes at a minimum percentage of 65%. These “Prelim Points” and will not affect a horse’s grading but be used only for qualification purposes. Whilst scores in Prelim non qualifiers will not count, organisers are permitted to run two Prelim qualifiers per show – thus the opportunity for competing in qualifier classes is the same as at other levels.

All horses must be registered with BD prior to competing. This can be either Full Horse Registration, or a new Associate Horse Registration, which will be at no cost. The process for members to use this new free registration category will be publicised in good time prior to!st December."

Polotash

Visit site
For anyone wanting to join BD as a full member it's a good idea to join as an associate first anyway as they run really good offers (e.g. I got free horse membership when I first joined)