Prelim help please - We have lost canter?!!!!

lexibell

Visit site
Hi

Urgent advice please, I have been competing at intro with my four year old this summer, doing respectably well (shockingly so if you ask me!!) so I made the decision to move up to prelim, and entered us for this weekend.

Weve been working on canter in our lessons, its taken him a while but about 3/4 weeks ago I thought we had it nailed! since then for various reasons I have only been able to hack, but that's been going fine, and his canter is fine when out so I wasn't too worried until today when we got back in the school in the school and our canter has gone!!! I've gone back to basics and have been working through exercises we had done previously but the canter is sketchy at best

I only have time to practice on Friday and Saturday now, before Sundays show. I'm a bit worried this is going to happen at the weekend, so my question is - help/tips/advice please on how to improve the transition and balance so he can sustain the canter. and failing that, opinions on what to do if this happens in the test? do I regroup and ask again or do i just continue the movement in trot?

My instructor isnt free before Sunday unfortunately, its only local unaffiliated, but at a decent sized equestrian centre where they take their dressage very seriously!!!

eggs

Visit site
When you say you've lost your canter do you mean that he only does a few strides before falling back to trot or has it become completely unbalanced? I know it is easier said than done but try not to fixate on it.

If during your test it all goes wrong come back to trot and ask for the strike off again. Don't rush the transition, keep your weight on your inside seat one and your inside leg on. Make sure that your aids are very clear.

Good luck in your test.

SPSP

Visit site
keep your weight on your inside seat one and your inside leg on.

I disagree... Weight to the inside will only cause your horse to fall in, leaving him unbalanced and stiff which will hardly help with the canter transition. Remember that horses will always move away from pressure so weight on the inside will mean your horse won't want to pick up the inside less but will rather avoid the pressure your putting on his inner side and pick up the outside lead, which I'm guessing is not what your after. So, if anything, ever so slight weight on the outside seat bone is the best- your horse is far more likely to pick up his inside lead, making it a lot easier for him to get that canter transition that you need. Equally, when you ask for the transition make sure you really ask, don't worry if it's messy at first so long as he gets the message that that's what you want. It's completely possible that whilst you were away from the school he just forgot where to put all his feet and needs reminding!
I really wouldn't worry- was in exactly the same position with a green horse of mine a couple of months ago and on the day he managed to pull it off.
Best of luck!

lexibell

Visit site
Thanks both thats encouraging.

eggs, when I say lost I mean he is just running on and losing his balance, Im not getting canter at all really.

which is the problem I had earlier in the summer when i first started asking for canter.

I think it probably is a case of being an unbalanced youngster and forgetting what im asking for. Will get back in the school and hope for the best :)

Tallante

Visit site
Your horse is very young and it's not surprising that he's taking some time to learn what's needed. it will all come good in time. It's not unusual for something to be learned and then 'forgotten'. As they grow up their bodies are changing all the time and they can't be consistent.

With regards to the test. Don't get hung up on it. I assume you weren't planning to win, so use it as training. if you get the canter then fine, if you don't, then set yourself up to start the next trot movement in the best possible rhythm and balance. If you get a couple of strides of canter you won't get zero and the judge will understand. It's best to aim for a short good quality canter than lots of running and flapping and trying to force something he finds difficult.

lexibell

Visit site
Thank you Tallente, no were not going to win, we are under no illusion there!! We're going for the experience but i want to give it my best shot of course.

Im very new to dressage, and I just wanted to know what I should do if we struggle with the transition, whether i should keep re-asking or just continue in trot and focus on the next movement, which is the less evil in the judges eyes.

Its a big class at a big equestrian centre and I just dont want to let my very clever and sweet little pony down!

be positive

Visit site
Usually it is best to keep rebalancing and asking again, if you don't show any canter or even attempt to ask if the first try goes wrong the judge will mark very low possibly a 0 if nothing is shown, in your case though I would ask at the right place and see what happens, you may be pleasantly surprised, if she fails to canter or falls in a heap then instead of trying again and getting you both in a tizz forget it and move on making the best of the next movements, that way you are using the test as a training exercise and doing the movements you can manage to do well keeping the horse settled and happy, if you keep pushing when she is genuinely struggling it will not leave her with the best of memories.
Then work on canter at home, you wont be letting her down if you make the day out a positive one.

Steorra

Visit site
Do you jump? If so I'd plan a schooling session on Friday, warm up, pop a couple of little jumps and get him cantering away. Re-establish that the school is a place where canter happens. Praise any canter enthusiastically.

If it goes well then try for some transitions from trot. It needn't be a full-on jumping session, but a flatwork session with some jumps interspersed.

Ironically, sometimes you can lose canter by focusing too hard on getting a *good* transition before the horse is strong enough to give you one. When one starts asking the horse to stay round, engaged and rhythmical through the canter transition instead of running or launching into it, it suddenly becomes much harder work. Also if your legs are saying "canter" but your hands and seat are saying "don't rush" the horse can get confused and not know whether to go or not.

I'd consider accepting a less-good transition for a little while (though starting from a good trot) for the sake of actually getting into canter. Once you've re-established that your canter aid means canter then you can return to working on improving the quality.

Last edited:

sportsmansB

Visit site
When your horse was first backed and cantering on the lunge did she go from your voice? Maybe a wee lunge before you get on over the next day or two with very crisp vocal 'CAN-TER's or whatever way you do it, and then use the same when you are on board practicing?
You can't really do it in a test at top vol but you can mutter it (and to be honest I would rather get a ticking off for use of the voice but manage to canter!)
I also agree I would rather get into canter than it be the worlds best canter when I get there- you have plenty of time to work on the quality of the pace but the initial transition is super important at this stage

trickivicki

Visit site
Hi

Urgent advice please, I have been competing at intro with my four year old this summer, doing respectably well (shockingly so if you ask me!!) so I made the decision to move up to prelim, and entered us for this weekend.

Weve been working on canter in our lessons, its taken him a while but about 3/4 weeks ago I thought we had it nailed! since then for various reasons I have only been able to hack, but that's been going fine, and his canter is fine when out so I wasn't too worried until today when we got back in the school in the school and our canter has gone!!! I've gone back to basics and have been working through exercises we had done previously but the canter is sketchy at best

I only have time to practice on Friday and Saturday now, before Sundays show. I'm a bit worried this is going to happen at the weekend, so my question is - help/tips/advice please on how to improve the transition and balance so he can sustain the canter. and failing that, opinions on what to do if this happens in the test? do I regroup and ask again or do i just continue the movement in trot?

My instructor isnt free before Sunday unfortunately, its only local unaffiliated, but at a decent sized equestrian centre where they take their dressage very seriously!!!

don't worry about it, just keep moving and go through the movements- if he canters great if not don't make a drama of it just keep moving :) enjoy

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Don't get too hung up on the test, perhaps mention to the writer before hand that you may need to trot the canter movements - just so the judge doesn't stop you for going wrong :)

Tnavas

Visit site
He's probably had a growth spurt and become unbalanced again.

Running into canter can also be a rider thing.

Problem 1 - Tipping forward in encouragement/anticipation of the canter strike off - think shoulders back and away (even lean back slightly - will usually mean you are in the correct position) this problem often causes problem 2 - Rider is dropping the contact as they ask for canter

Check also Saddle fit and for any physical injury - a slip in the paddock tweaking a muscle can cause no end of problems - this is an important consideration if the canter transition is much harder on one rein than the other