Premier Equine rugs and reproofing

Achinghips

Visit site
Anyone have issues with reproofing this rug. Do manufacturers have a "sell-by" date on reproofing? I have sent 4 of these rugs for reproofing, they came back and they were not waterproof. I sent them all away again - guess what? they are still not waterproof. Rugs are three years old.

Does this mean every three years I have to buy new?

wiglet

Visit site
I had the Bustino. I didn't have it washed or proofed for 7 years (only got light wear) and it was fine. The second I got it back from having it washed and proofed... it leaked. Never managed to get it waterproof again

Leg_end

Visit site
I've had these reproofed regularly with no issues at all. One is 6/7 years old (300g HW) and the other is in its second winter 200g

Achinghips

Visit site
Just got off the phone to them. I was told that 3 years is their recommendation for their rugs and that after that reproofing may not work. £$"£$%^%£

Bambi.

Visit site
Think most rug companies say 3 years but from everyone's comments on lots of threads it seems to be luck of the draw with the rug your sent as to how long it lasts/if its waterproof or not! I've got a PE rug and it hasn't leaked

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I bought the 75g last year second hand - it had been washed and reproofed by the seller but was never waterproof. I had it washed and reproofed this year and it's been great since. So I wonder if it has more to do with the people washing and reproofing than the rug itself?

McW

Visit site
I have a 200grm pe turnout that has been regularly reproofed yearly and is still going strong. Now all I have to replace is the velcro as it's not sticky/coming undone now.

Venevidivici

Visit site
I have always washed,then reproofed with wash in Nikwax Rugproof (which is a liquid you pour into the top of the washing machine) and have never had any turnouts go 'unwaterproof' afterwards. I have an industrial washing machine and wash liveries' rugs as well as my own.

Venevidivici

Visit site
Ps I have a 2yr old PE 450g Winterbuster and have reproofed it after both of the last 2 winters-it's fine and did not leak at all in the torrential rain we've had in the last 2days!

kaluki

Visit site
This is my buisness, I have never had any one say their PE rug has leaked after i have washed and proofed, i do use nikwax wash and proof.
Only wash in a cool/warm wash no more than 30 degrees.
(Some Fals do say 40 degrees )

If the naturial membrane has broken down they will adventually leak no matter how much you reproof them, it will only make them shower proof.

To help maintain membrane cool/warm wash only, do not use detergents ( bold aerial etc) and regually reproof.

Kat

Visit site
I use a rug wash service that only uses NikWax products, if you use the wrong product on waterproof fabrics you can ruin them completely. My rugs have come back as good as new.

Izzwizz

Visit site
I wash and re-proof rugs and agree with Kaluki's comments. However, a mare I looked after had one of these rugs, the Trio, I never rated it personally. Weighed a ton when wet and never dried out overnight as well as my own Rambo Duo, My Rambo is now going into its 7th winter and has been washed and re-proofed reguarly and not leaked - ever - especially in all the recent rain!

I use Nikwax products and they are excellent., never had a problem..

Spanish Eyes

Visit site
I did mine at home after getting some advice on a thread on a forum. Several people recommended not washing with detergent.

Instead of over-loading the washing machine, I sprayed them with cold water from the hose (on blast mode), which managed to get most of the muck off.They were then left to dry over the fence, and once dry I painted with nikwax re-proofer. Fantastic results - they are 3 years old and kept the girls dry in all of the heavy deluge of rain that we've had recently.

micramadam

Visit site
I wash and reproof all my rugs including the PE's at home. Always use the Nikwax rugwash and Nikwax reproofer. Never had any problems with any of the PE's (abour 4 years old) not being waterproof anymore and 1 of the other rugs - an Amigo, is coming up for 8 years.

Achinghips

Visit site
Spanisheyes, I thought if you did it at home the rug had to be wet before reproofing. Anyone tried the Lincoln all purpose reproofer and the lincoln wax, as they say they can be done on a dry rug.

One more question, is it defo not waterproof if you dont get the "water droplet beads off effect"? I have one here that's been done and if I splash it the water absorbs into the surface and doesn't "roll" off.

katherine1975

Visit site
My PE rugs have withstood the recent awful weather. My weatherbeeta that I had professionally washed and reproofed was no longer water tight. I used Fabsil tent reproofer (recommended on another thread) and it has done the trick!

Shooting Star

Visit site
I used to waterproof some of my rugs at home using ronseal proofer designed for brickwork, would get a massive tin from the local diy shop and it lasted a couple of years - they never leaked, lol! :)

phryne

New User
Visit site
I also have a problem with a Buster rug; not at all waterproof which is vital - and only a couple of weeks old...
I do love these rugs though - in all other respects they are really well made and I have a 350 weight rug which has given no problem at all in this respect.

wingedhorse

Visit site
Try tent reproofer or breathable brick sealant.

I reproofed my year old 70gm PE rug with firstly tent reproofer from Halfords, and then Ronseal Brick sealer (breathable). Two products as I ran out and wanted to do a second coat.

Not entirely sure if it has worked, waiting to find out.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
So to reproof, I should wash or hose the rug, no detergent, then whilst wet, paint it with Nikwax for the best result? Or is it better to wash with Nikwax inthe machine? The rug has lost all of its waterpellency :(

kerrieberry2

Visit site
my rugs never leaked and i never had them reproof, just had them cleaned and repaired.

last winter i was working for a rug cleaning company, so I got all of mine cleaned, reproofed and repaired for free, now none of them are as good as they were and they are all coming unstitched along the seams! so will defo no pay for reproof in the future! and will never send them to that company either!

phryne

New User
Visit site
So to reproof, I should wash or hose the rug, no detergent, then whilst wet, paint it with Nikwax for the best result? Or is it better to wash with Nikwax inthe machine? The rug has lost all of its waterpellency :(

Follow the instructions on the nikwax wash in waterproofer (ie. wash in machine on a cool setting with a bottle of said..) then dry outside or on an airer and spray on Nikwax (goretex) waterproofer for tents etc.

I have two of these rugs - the rugs are great; but there is such a problem with the waterproofing of them it MUST be down to the fabric that they use/the weave of the fabric. It is absolutely LUDICROUS (myself included) to be paying top whack for a product that does not fulfill it's function. I would say that under the Consumer Protection Act it states that a product should 'fit for the purpose for which it is intended'. As a consumer of these Rugs; that are marketed as waterproof turnout rugs, I would not then expect to have to coat the product with 'brick sealant' after one season of use. Premier Equine really need to recognise that there is increasing dissatisfaction with the waterproof nature of these rugs and do something about it otherwise it will take their business to the wall. Incidentally there are several other blogs on other sites about EXACTLY the same problem with these rugs.

wingedhorse

Visit site
I have reproofed three older PE rugs with brick sealant and tent reproofer recently. (After one started holding water though not leaking - I did all to be on safe side). They seem to be okay so far.

My other horse lives out in a trio outer that I bought in November. Fingers crossed whilst it holds a little water, it is proving very water proof in various sets of monsoon weather that we have been having.

I wouldnt buy any PE rugs that arent 1680 dernier, as I dont think they are as water proof. I also wouldnt buy the cheaper ones they do that dont have the shoulder pleats.