Premier Equine rugs - any good?

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
Looking for a new heavyweight rug as the one I have is falling to pieces and have been eyeing up the PE rugs.

I haven't had one before, and just wondered what they were like? Are they worth investing in?

I'm also on the lookout for some travel boots, and the PE ones caught my eye although they are a little pricey - are they worth it?

Thanks!

H.K.D

Visit site
Brilliant I prefer them to Rambos. I have 3 for each horse: a light medium and a liner for heavy time!

They don't rub, budge, are so warm and waterproof and the lining does stay clean!! Oh and love the necks: no wind or rain gets underneath them

10/10 for me!

Garnet

Visit site
They are deep cut and generous in size. I am on my second and third versions now. They used to be fabulous value and very durable, but in recent years the prices have rocketed and in my opinion they are now less durable and therefore less good value. I have noticed that stitching around the velcro fastenings disintegrates and small rips around the lower edges of the current rugs are more common (same horse, not a rug wrecker). In my experience they do not re-proof very well after cleaning, so I have had to replace a rug that ceased to be waterproof.
However, I am an old scrooge who expects rugs to last for ten years with appropriate care, and you may be happy to do some stitching repairs etc.! I have been using PE rugs for six years and my horse lives in his current PE Trio 24/7 indoors and out through the winter. My original heavyweight PE rug is still in occasional use as a spare. I don't have any information to compare with other brands over the last six years because I haven't used any!
I don't know anything about PE products other than rugs, because I haven't used any thing else - I'm not a big spender!

jenni999

Visit site
I bought the Trio with all the liners and I loved it. Unfortunately it rubbed my horse's mane and his withers :-( I returned it for a full credit :) Can't fault their customer service and a lot of people are really happy with them. I think Rambo rugs are not as good as they used to be so I would say give PE a go.

paddy555

Visit site
I have one but wouldn't buy another. It is too long and gets very very heavy when it gets wet. The extra length makes more material to get even heavier.
Cannot criticise the quality, fittings or fit it is just that it gets SO heavy when it is wet. I can barely lift it to hang it up to dry. (this problem is not due to old age it was like that immediately I bought it last year) I don't think the horse likes the heaviness. He is a 15.3 big strong cob type.
When I had to get another rug this year I got an amigo medium weight. No contest between the two. The Amigo is brilliant, much lighter when wet and the horse clearly loves it, or at least he doesn't notice it when it is wet.

ponypilotmum

Visit site
Absolutely fantastic rugs.

Although they don't come in smaller sizes (nothing does on their website) so I use amigo for the smaller ones and for how cheap they are they're almost as good.

Just wish PE would realise not everyone only kits out big horses.

travelmad

Visit site
love mine - and their sale is on this week :) i would def buy more PE rugs for next horse, the heavy weight are excellent.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I also have them & would buy again as opposed to the current rambo range.
Not had mane/neck rubbing probs.
Have the trio with 200g liner, also the 200x with detachable neck (tho not a big fave of mine as I prefer the 1680 outer, but it does the job) and also a full neck 450 storm buster.
All in pretty good nick. If they come in wet, then I leave rug on to dry off as dries so much more quickly.
You can find a small sizing difference between the ranges - my Trio is 5ft 9 & fits 16hh nicely, the 200x is 6 ft & is the exact same fit & size as the trio. The stormbuster is also 5ft 9 & fits spot on. So, I'd advise not to 'go up' when making 1st purchase. (just my opinion tho)
Service v good too with next day delivery & also exhanges done swiftly too.

Having spoken to them on the phone yesterday to find out if they could do a LW 50g with a 1680 outer, I have been assured that there WILL be a pony range due out late summer for next winter, there will also be new colours in the ranges (tho not horrid patterned ones!)

So, yes - they are my preferred rug maker to use on mine :)

Ella19

Visit site
Of all the livery rugs these are the ones I think "oh no" when it comes to putting on and off. They are SO heavy when wet!! Otherwise can't fault them but it out me off getting one. I have JHL instead.

fizzer

Visit site
I do not like them as much as other rugs. Find them very heavy when wet, have had some that leaked, stitching was poor. Much prefer Rambo, Rhino, Amigo, Weatherbeta and Shires.

measles

Visit site
They are fantastic rugs and this summer will be bringing out a pony range so I am saving up my pennies.. They do a 20% off one item every day if you sign up to their email notifications which really helps, and also have a sale on at the moment

paddy555

Visit site
Of all the livery rugs these are the ones I think "oh no" when it comes to putting on and off. They are SO heavy when wet!! Otherwise can't fault them but it out me off getting one. I have JHL instead.

really pleased you said that. I thought it was just me that found them heavy when wet.

smokey

Visit site
bought the rug and liner system this winter, love it! easy to use, doesnt move or rub, and I think good value when you add up what it would cost for all the combinations seperately.

Spottyappy

Visit site
Brilliant,well made and if you want to save time by using the turnout rugs in the stable,they are fantastic.
I do agree they are heavy when wet-if you're short and have a 17.2hh,for example,you may need a hand to put the previous days wet rug back on. It is likely to be only wet externally,and not right through.

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
Brilliant,well made and if you want to save time by using the turnout rugs in the stable,they are fantastic.
I do agree they are heavy when wet-if you're short and have a 17.2hh,for example,you may need a hand to put the previous days wet rug back on. It is likely to be only wet externally,and not right through.

As long as they are not wet right through why bother taking them off and struggling, leave them on and let the horse dry them with its body heat. Also far nicer for the horse than having cold damp clothes put on the following day.

I have had several of their turnout rugs and been very pleased with them. Being old fashioned I always used stable rugs and turn outs but since using the Premier Equine gave up with stable rugs, my horses were warm and toastie all the time and as a result their coats looked fantastic. Still hate seeing them standing in mud covered turnouts in the stable but the horses dont care!

paddy555

Visit site
As long as they are not wet right through why bother taking them off and struggling, leave them on and let the horse dry them with its body heat. Also far nicer for the horse than having cold damp clothes put on the following day.

!

I took it off as it was just so heavy and uncomfortable for the horse and I try to give him a break from the weight.
It was dry and warm when it went back on having spent the night over my stove.

starryeyed

Visit site
They are fab rugs!!! My mare has a few of them now, they fit her perfectly, have a really good depth, don't rub - and most importantly, don't move when she rolls and hoons around the field - I always used to worry that she'd tangle herself up but don't need to with these, they stay where they're supposed to.
Very waterproof too! (Ps - now is the time, they're having a big january sale ;)) x

Suffolkangel

Visit site
Absolutely fantastic rugs.

Although they don't come in smaller sizes (nothing does on their website) so I use amigo for the smaller ones and for how cheap they are they're almost as good.

Just wish PE would realise not everyone only kits out big horses.

I sent them a message about this at the weekend and as of August they'll be making 4ft upwards... :) I have the same problem as my smallest is 5ft

Annagain

Visit site
I have a lightweight and bought half the Trio system at the start of the winter (I'm too stingy to buy the full package!) Love the lightweight but due to the weather he hasn't worn the Trio yet. He has the 100g outer and a 200g liner as his 200g Fal turnout is still good so didn't need a mediumweight rug. I bought it too late for the 100g to be useful and it's not been cold enough for a 300g yet! I'm looking forward to next week's drop in temp just so I can use it!

coffeeandabagel

Visit site
I have just bought one and a liner - but its too muddy to turn him out in them - he is a Mud Beast and I want it to look nice for at least 1 day! I was a bit surprised to see they dont have cross over leg straps - hopefully the self righting design will keep them in place - he is a serial roller

Tiffany

Visit site
Recently bought a MW one with detachable neck and very pleased with it. My girl is an ID so needs a deep rug and PE certainly are.

If you sign up with them you'll recieve daily offers

I normally buy Mark Todd rugs and I'd say PE are a little more generous than MT

Last edited: