Premier equine rugs not waterproof

Achinghips

Visit site
So annoyed, purchased loads of these in the sale and horses are soaked through this morning and it wasn't particularly heavy last night here in East Anglia. All not waterproof in chest and withers and water coming through in all seams. Will be calling them in the morning. How disappointing.

Follysmum

Visit site
I found them the same :( they became very heavy when wet also. Do not understand why they are so popular. I stick with Horseware now.

eggs

Visit site
Never had a problem with PE leaking but they do get very heavy when wet. Prefer Rambo but PE are a better fit on a couple of my horses.

PorkChop

Visit site
I have only had one PE rug and it leaked and got very heavy in the rain. Would never by another, I am always amazed how popular they are. Horseware rugs are the best imho :)

Visit site
The really old PE rugs were grand but since they expanded and are now going for the cheapest materials and even cheaper labor they are shockingly bad. We weighed one of the 450g turnouts after just hours out in normal rain and it came in at just shy of 4stone! Yes stone! Imagine your horse carrying that all day/night!

I won't touch them again.

paddy555

Visit site
I have only had one PE rug and it leaked and got very heavy in the rain. Would never by another, I am always amazed how popular they are. Horseware rugs are the best imho :)

another one who doesn't understand and I had the same problems with mine. There have been so many threads on here about them yet people still buy then because they are in a sale.

paddy555

Visit site
We weighed one of the 450g turnouts after just hours out in normal rain and it came in at just shy of 4stone! Yes stone!
/QUOTE]

only 4 stone? can't have been much rain then! It took 2 of us to lift ours and it was like lifting a person. One who needed to be on a diet!

MissJessica

Visit site
I think they were popular at first when they launched, they're stylish, the brochures and website professional and the daily discount emails.
However now we've all had a chance to use them I think a lot of people don't rate them anymore. I have a lightweight with attachable neck. Neck is useless therefore used it for cut up pieces and repairs and the lightweight is only good for light rain as it leaks & horse is always wet underneath.
I also bought a heavyweight at the same time that doesn't get as much use but would never buy another.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I bought 2 medium weights last year at the beginning of winter and absolutely loved them. Horses were always bone dry and warm underneath them and I never found them any heavier than any wet turnout either?!
I see loads of threads like this though so it seems in the minority?
When denier are we talking here? I used to have the old 600d 70g and agree that was bl**** awful.

concorde

Visit site
I never understand these posts. I have 2 PE turnouts.
Used them both through 4 winters. They have never leaked.
Friends love theirs too. People all seem to love em or hate em so it is a mystery to me. Do PE randomly supply from 2 totally different factories or something ?

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
I had one last November...it was terrible, it went back after two days of use, took 4 days to dry it hanging in garage then I sent it back for full refund...now I use masta rugs they fit high withered mare well..for real cold days I've a Rambo wug.

MissMistletoe

Visit site
The really old PE rugs were grand but since they expanded and are now going for the cheapest materials and even cheaper labor they are shockingly bad. We weighed one of the 450g turnouts after just hours out in normal rain and it came in at just shy of 4stone! Yes stone! Imagine your horse carrying that all day/night!

I have no experience with PE rugs myself, but I do have to agree with the quality of rugs nowadays.

I have a 10 year old Shires Highlander 200g combo rug which is still going strong despite never being washed and proofed!
It has that lovely cotton duvet like lining, the fittings are strong and fit for purpose and the fastenings on the neck cover are clips with a protective Velcro pad over them.

I recently purchased the same rug thinking that it was a very wise investment for another horse and my goodness- what a different rug indeed!!!

They all seem to come with a nylon lining now (cheap I guess, but it gives the horse a shiny coat apparently- would rather a natural breathable material next to horse's skin thanks). The fastenings are not as good quality as the old Highlanders either, neck covers not as easy to do up.

Sad result of modern day manufacturing and the desire to get things done quickly and cheaply- rather like training often seen with horses nowadays- so sad.

Will steer clear of PE rugs then!

Achinghips

Visit site

This. Always said I would never buy any other rug. But I think they have gone awfully poor quality in last year or two. I won't be buying them again. I bought a bustino 600d a 70g 1200d and a 0g 1200d. All have leaked through chest, neck, seams on tail flaps, seams where surcingles tie and right across seams three quarters of the way across entire rugs on both sides.

I used to think I loved these rugs, now I just want something that is absolutely waterproof for large heavy wide horses

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
RE linings, I need shiny linings for my horses. Cotton rubs them terribly so I end up having to use a silky liner. Far better to just buy a rug with a nylon lining in the first place. :)

Achinghips

Visit site
I never understand these posts. I have 2 PE turnouts.
Used them both through 4 winters. They have never leaked.
Friends love theirs too. People all seem to love em or hate em so it is a mystery to me. Do PE randomly supply from 2 totally different factories or something ?

My old premier equines are on their third year and were great, but starting to wear now. My new ones are just not waterproof. Rugs and horses are sopping wet.

MissMistletoe

Visit site
RE linings, I need shiny linings for my horses. Cotton rubs them terribly so I end up having to use a silky liner. Far better to just buy a rug with a nylon lining in the first place. :)

Yes that's very true, but I've noticed that my horses seem more of a comfortable temperature with a cotton lined rug.

PonyclubmumZ

Visit site
My lightweight one last year was useless and I returned it to them and got a heavier weight one for free in its place, which is waterproof and very snug.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
A lot of rugs these days are "made in China". Ever since Yulin, I've boycotted them whenever possible, but it is truly amazing, and shocking, just how many rugs are made there.

I tried a Shires light-fill turnout on mine, it just didn't fit, made more to fit a Giraffe IMO, then looked inside and it said "Made in China" :( Didn't need any other reason to reject it other than that, even if it had fitted, which it patently didn't.

Geek

Visit site
I've got a premier equine trio that must be going in to it's almost 7th winter now and is still going strong, such a shame to hear that they maybe going down hill, I was just thinking today how good that rug was. Has anyone tried Derby House's imitation PE ones? I was very tempted to try one...

Good morning

Visit site
I've found all the PE rugs to be bad except for their sweetitch rugs seem fantastic on my boy. I had always used weatherbeata up to the point I got a joules version ... I've never had a rug that leaked like that!!! I've just bought some derby house ones for this year in the sale so I'm hoping there okay!

Polonaise

Visit site
Honestly not had a problem, they all have them as they're the only rugs I've found as don't seem to rub or need resetting constantly. Except their fly rugs which don't seem to fit anything! (Sweet itch rug is the exception to this and is good) My old girl lived out all last year in a 4 year old 200g combi with no shelter, didn't soak through once. I have them washed and re-proofed once a year, odd repair done.
My 3 year old buster zero that I leave on the fence all summer 'just in case' did leak a little today (I got through 3 coats), but not enough to worry about.
If you're not happy with one I'd phone them, maybe a bad batch or something?

Achinghips

Visit site
I just put my lads old fal pro on him and he nickered and tried to groom me as I did it. I swear he was saying "thank goodness for that" !

mightymammoth

Visit site
I have the 40g and agree they're a bit of a let down. After a night of rain he was damp underneath around the withers where my friends horse in a rambo was bone dry. I've bought him a rambo now so will see how we go. It is also back breaking heavy in the rain, I was so disappointed!

Achinghips

Visit site
I have the 40g and agree they're a bit of a let down. After a night of rain he was damp underneath around the withers where my friends horse in a rambo was bone dry. I've bought him a rambo now so will see how we go. It is also back breaking heavy in the rain, I was so disappointed!

I know. I flipping used to love these rugs!