Premier Equine rugs

CMcC

Visit site
Am looking at buying a new wardrobe of rugs. Horse is 9 and nearly died of colitis last winter - lost a massive amount of weight and seriously ill for weeks. Because of this I am paranoid about keeping weight on him through the winter and generally healthy. Have his diet sorted (fingers crossed) now thinking about rugs.
Bought him a couple of cheap rugs last year but because he was so thin at the time has gone up a size.
I have been looking at Premier Equine, package of turnout + under rugs + neck covers over £300 and also considering cheaper make - rugs would probably be £200 to buy equivalent.
My question is is it worth spending the extra for Premier Equine? Advice please.

paddy555

Visit site
Am looking at buying a new wardrobe of rugs. Horse is 9 and nearly died of colitis last winter - lost a massive amount of weight and seriously ill for weeks. Because of this I am paranoid about keeping weight on him through the winter and generally healthy. Have his diet sorted (fingers crossed) now thinking about rugs.
Bought him a couple of cheap rugs last year but because he was so thin at the time has gone up a size.
I have been looking at Premier Equine, package of turnout + under rugs + neck covers over £300 and also considering cheaper make - rugs would probably be £200 to buy equivalent.
My question is is it worth spending the extra for Premier Equine? Advice please.

spending extra? I wouldn't spend anything for a PE turnout. In fact I wouldn't have one even if it was for free. My turnout with it's various under rugs was the worst rug I have ever bought. Leaked, needed a crane to lift it when wet and took days to dry out. I binned it in under 2 years and bought the Rambo I should have got in the first place.

SuperH

Visit site
I like mine. I've got the Lucanta and the Buster Titan. The Buster is the better rug out of the two. I don't find them particularly heavy when wet and they have never leaked or rubbed although I do agree they take a while to dry out. The best (thicker) winter rug I have is the Shires Typhoon, can't fault it at all, I just wish they made it in a lighter weight as it is on the warm side for mine.

Under-the-radar

Visit site
I have used PE rugs for all my 3 - they suit my arab very well. I can't say that I have found mine take any longer to dry than the Amigo rugs. But with the latest round of "new style" rugs the prices have got a tad too much for my budget with having 3 to rug. I can understand bringing out new designs, but when the main of the new design appears to be aesthetic rather than practical modifications, it doesn't inspire me to part with my hard earned cash.

I have got Shires and Weatherbeeta rugs on my 3, which are all doing well (so far!!)

Casey76

Visit site
I really like my PE rugs, and can't say they get any heavier than my MW Weatherbeeta. In three years they've never leaked or rubbed. I have a Buster Trio for T (though I have yet to use any of the liners, the 100g outer has always been sufficient!), and a normal 100g Buster for B. As they are older ones, I can't comment on the new style for heaviness or lastability!

skewbaldmillie

Visit site
I have an older pe rug which is fab, came with my mare but will see if it is still available, it's black and quite plain but has stayed waterproof for 5 years and always keeps her snugly and warm, hasn't ripped despite her best attempts and dries at the same speed as my other heavy turnouts

hannahlow

Visit site
I personally don't like PE rugs, they are so heavy when they are wet and take an age to dry, I also find them quite pricy when you compare them to Rambo/Rhino etc. If you do get them though go down a size the horse normally takes as they come up big :)

Crackerz

Visit site
I have 3 PE rugs. I have 3 because the first 2 leaked so badly the pony might just as well have been naked so i got a freebie which hasn't leaked (yet)

They are definitely much heavier than any of my other rugs when wet too.

I don't find they come up big though, if i went down a size the chest wouldn't fit mine (they are on the widest clip as it is!)

I love the neck cover but would never ever spend money on another PE rug

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Now I actually love my PE turnouts! I've got Buster 200 ones and they never leak, fit really nicely (although I do but a size down come to think of it!) and I don't find them overly heavy wet, at least no heavier than any other sodden 6'9 combo!

I did purchase last winter two Rambo duo's though in seperate sales. Absolutely brilliant. In fact I never used my spare rugs really as they never got wet or cold even in torrential rain. I've since sold my heavy and medium turnouts and just kept the Rambo and liners and the medium PE's.
I'd look out for a Rambo in sales? Mine cost £180 but are worth every single penny.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have some of the buster turnouts .
They are heavy when wet ,non of mine have leaked they are very deep which I'd great for some of mine .
The fabric is very strong .
They are very warm it's never cold enough for me to use my heavyweight one .

Flora

Visit site
Mine all have PE rugs. I used to like them but bought some new ones last year and hate them that much I am thinking of selling them all or keeping them as spares. They are too heavy when wet and are overpriced. I also bought some Shires and I will replacing all my PE's with them.

Micropony

Visit site
My friend is a devotee of PE rugs and when I am doing her horse I do find them heavier than other brands, although they do fit nicely. Personally I prefer the Horseware and Bucas rugs.

buddylove

Visit site
Not a fan here either. Mine was tough and waterproof but far too heavy when wet.
I now have the bucas select system with the various quilts underneath. Not as deep as the PE rugs but great quality and fit.

Achinghips

Visit site
Premier equine have dropped their quality. Last four rugs I had were sent back as they leaked. Never again. Love my old premier equine ones though given the recent poor quality, I've changed to ruggles, cheaper and waterproof.

Shooting Star

Visit site
I've got 3 PE turnouts plus a liner. The old 40g t/o is brilliant 100% waterproof still after 5 yrs and my favourite rug ever.

The newest buster 200 I have seen a slight leak on one part of a seam in very bad weather and the 3rd is an older buster that I've not yet used as brought it in a sale then forgot about it:eek:

... And the liners are a pita, makes the rug way too heavy and fiddly to put on so never use it.

I like the oldest lightweight t/o but do find them heavy, expensive & decreasing in quality. I won't be buying any more, just got a new weatherbeeta no fill that I'm in love with though so think I might replace the leaky middleweight PE with another weatherbeeta :)

michelledud

Visit site
I absolutely love my Premier Equine rugs!!! ❤️ I've had them 4-5 years and they're good as new, no holes, no rubbing, no leaks. And they don't get heavy when wet. They do come up big so I always order a size down.

Also love my Swish Equestrian rugs 👍

CMcC

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like PE were a good product, but not so good now. Will look at Rambo and Shires.

Crackerz

Visit site
I absolutely love my Premier Equine rugs!!! ❤️ I've had them 4-5 years and they're good as new, no holes, no rubbing, no leaks. And they don't get heavy when wet. They do come up big so I always order a size down.

Also love my Swish Equestrian rugs 👍

Are you using different PE rugs to the rest of us?! lol

Casey76

Visit site
Are you using different PE rugs to the rest of us?! lol

Perhaps not, but those of us who like our PE rugs have had them several years. Perhaps they were better quality 4-5 years ago. I know the range was much smaller - perhaps with an increased customer base etc, the turnover has meant a decrease in quality over time?

Crackerz

Visit site
Perhaps not, but those of us who like our PE rugs have had them several years. Perhaps they were better quality 4-5 years ago. I know the range was much smaller - perhaps with an increased customer base etc, the turnover has meant a decrease in quality over time?

100%. YO bought an old one from a charity shop and it is totally different to our much newer utterly utterly crappy ones!

wiglet

Visit site
When PE first started up as a company, I bought a 40g turnout rug. It was a brilliant rug, never leaked and lasted years AND it was very competitively priced - an absolute bargain in fact. I've never bought any heavyweight rugs from them, I prefer Rambos so I can't comment on those rugs.

At the moment, I just have one PE rug. It's a no fill turnout with detachable neck cover. It's a nice rug but I've not used it much - mainly because my Amigo 50g T/O is lighter to handle (even when wet) and fits better than the no fill PE rug. My YO actually thought the 50g was my LW and the PE was a heavier filled rug.

Fiona

Visit site
Love our PE rugs but always buy the buster ballistic nylon ones... Never leaked.

Also like ruggles for the pony. No experience of their horse sizes...

Fiona

gallopingby

Visit site
I like my PE rugs although best to go down a size, use ones with detachable neck covers and they don't rub. Good fit and deep with a decent tail flap. Have always found customer service very good.

paddy555

Visit site
my experiences were 5 years ago. The rug was rubbish for all the reason already stated. I could barely lift it when wet and then I got to thinking if it was so heavy for me (and I am pretty strong) what on earth was it like for the poor horse having to carry that weight all through the wet winter. He was a shire X so no weakling but it was so heavy you could see it was getting him down.

Crackerz

Visit site
I like my PE rugs although best to go down a size, use ones with detachable neck covers and they don't rub. Good fit and deep with a decent tail flap. Have always found customer service very good.

If i went down a size on mine, they wouldn't fit the chest? They only just fit on the widest setting as it is!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I had a Stormbuster many years ago and it was a good rug-way too warm for my horse though so I sold it. I bought a 200g one last year because it was orange ;). Pretty rug, waterproof, came up a bit big length ways and again very warm (its my heavyweight rug) but have to say for that sort of money I expect better details such as the option of leg straps. I live on a very windy Scottish hill, when we have a storm I like to be able to put leg straps on for my own peace of mind even though I dont use them routinely.