Premier Equine

Stenners

Visit site
Does anyone use their rugs and rate them? I need a load of new rugs as my old ones dont fit and at least 3 people have said they wouldn’t use anything else now and that they come up big.

I also know PE is a bit like marmite for some!!…..

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
We used to use the outdoor ones at work, very heavy and not waterproof for long....

... As opposed to Rambo, which lasted forever, lightweight to handle and actually waterproof!

Upthecreek

Visit site
My experience of them is they are generous in size, so I bought a size down. Not very waterproof and extremely heavy when wet. Not worth the money in my opinion, there are better rugs out there. If you’re spending that sort of money you’re better off with Rambo all day long.

TPO

Visit site
I hate them and had an awful experience with their customer service.

The surcingle fell off a brand new turnout when the horse was barely 5 steps from the gate. They wouldnt replace/repair despite admitting that the stitching must have been faulty because it was my fault for not checking all the stitching before using it?!

To get it repaired privately I had to pay to get it cleaned first, despite it only being worn to the field and for 5 steps, so it made an expensive rug even more costly.

I only ever used it as a spare in emergencies because it was sooooo heavy. Even when dry it was weighty but wet it was horrific. Despite being a high denier and ballistic it tore and got caught easily with light use.

A complete bargepole IMO

Highly recommend weatherbeeta and I've had great experiences with Shires rugs in the past few years too.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I don't rate the turnouts as I had one years back that leaked from new and I haven't wanted to give them another go as they are expensive. However I did try the superlight fly rugs more recently and they are not generous in size (although I did like them) especially in the surcingle department. The latest design may be different of course.

holeymoley

Visit site
I have one- it’s a 400g turnout or something ridiculous, worn only in the worst of the winter but I find it really heavy even when not wet. I much prefer my Amigo’s with the liners. Or maybe they’re Rambo’s… can’t remember.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
They are generous in some areas not in others. On my old tb who had big shoulders they managed to be too small and too big at the same time. They actually suit my current tb who is much finer better though down a size. Find the turnouts heavy but I've got a couple of coolers that are nice and a fly rug which is good.

I like Weatherbeetas but the top end of their range and I haven't bought any for a few years as they have lasted so well, I have one turnout over ten years old so not sure of their current range.

I can't afford Rambo but I find Rhinos are a good compromise for price/quality and are the ones that seemed to suit for fit a wider range.

Reactions: TPO

w1bbler

Visit site
Got one included with my horse HATE it, stupidly heavy when wet, can't quite bring myself to throw it away. Would never buy one.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I think the PE Buster range is OK but they are very heavy. My Busters have all been reliable but I bought a less expensive zero fill PE that leaked like a sieve from the get go. I like modular rugs and the PE liners wash and dry so well. They do come up big.

Stenners

Visit site
I think I will steer clear!!!!
How do you find the Amigos? Especially for a chunky horse? I did use the liner system on an old horse which was great but it’s too small!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I like the 1200d Amigos but find I need to get a size up. Weatherbeeta Comfitec are nice rugs too and they are more adjustable.

gryff

Visit site
I always used to buy PE but really don't like the way the company is going in terms of the quality and price of their products. Maybe look at Swish rugs. I find them very similar to the PE Buster range in terms of fit, but much better quality.

Reactions: Kat

AUB

Visit site
I’ve been very happy with PE Titan and a friend of mine swears by her Lucanta Stratus.

I’ve had Rambo for years and years, but they just dont fit my mare very well, she’s losing hair in several spots, it went leaky and when a surcincle broke in the wrong place I could get absolutely no help because it was no longer within warranty and you can’t buy spares so I would have had to buy the whole lot all over again! I ended up paying a small fortune to have it repaired (and then I found somewhere in Germany where I could buy spare surcincles so now I’ve bought a bunch as I like keeping old rugs around just in case of emergency).

Only thing I don’t like about PE is that we can’t buy them directly from the PE website anymore but have to go through a Danish retailer. I’d like to buy on sale directly from PE as their sale prices are very reasonable.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I had a 19hh horse, who was in a 7ft6 and bought him a second hand PE 400g rug when he was living out and it was snowing.

I could barely throw the rug over him when it was dry, let alone when it was damp or wet as it was so heavy. I had to half get it on and just drag the rest, lucky he was a good boy!

Had no issuues re: being waterproof, but he did completely rip the ar*e out of it within about 5 days, which I repaired. He has never so much as snagged another rug so not sure if it was badly made as some say, or a one off 'one of those things'. It did fit nicely on him though.

Last edited: