Premier Equine

Stenners

Visit site
I had a 19hh horse, who was in a 7ft6 and bought him a second hand 400g rug when he was living out and it was snowing.

I could barely throw the rug over him when it was dry, let alone when it was damp or wet as it was so heavy. I had to half get it on and just drag the rest, lucky he was a good boy!

Had no issuues re: being waterproof, but he did completely rip the ar*e out of it within about 5 days, which I repaired. He has never so much as snagged another rug so not sure if it was badly made as some say, or a one off 'one of those things'. It did fit nicely on him though.
19hh!!!! Blooming heck!!!!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
19hh!!!! Blooming heck!!!!

Well, 19hh with shoes one. 18.3hh and a bit truly without. Lump of a boy!

My rug list was generally as follows:
Rambo - worth looking at second hand, but rare as people keep hold of them. Loved every one I have owned
Masta - come up small, better for narrow. Their liner system is naff, but they are waterproof
Shires - I find fit narrow-medium horses better, are pretty reliable and cheap.
Weatherbeeta - Worth buying the real expensive range as they are fab rugs, but the cheaper range is just an expensive shires.
Amigo - Unless you get the XL line, I never found them to fit anything other than a narrow TB or Arab type.
Ruggles - Fab rugs, fit well and very waterproof. Interchangeable necks, a fair price and good re-sale. Fit very well on my big shouldered gelding. Also quite long so good for wet weather.
Bucas - Echo Amigo, super narrow. Badly made now, which is a shame as they used to be wonderful
Fal Rugs - Don't think they make them any more, but good for a narrow to medium chested horse if you can get one second hand.
Gallop - See Amigo and Bucas, not worth it unless you have a fine type. Couldn't even get the front anywhere near each other on my warmblood.

Stenners

Visit site
Well, 19hh with shoes one. 18.3hh and a bit truly without. Lump of a boy!

My rug list was generally as follows:
Rambo - worth looking at second hand, but rare as people keep hold of them. Loved every one I have owned
Masta - come up small, better for narrow. Their liner system is naff, but they are waterproof
Shires - I find fit narrow-medium horses better, are pretty reliable and cheap.
Weatherbeeta - Worth buying the real expensive range as they are fab rugs, but the cheaper range is just an expensive shires.
Amigo - Unless you get the XL line, I never found them to fit anything other than a narrow TB or Arab type.
Ruggles - Fab rugs, fit well and very waterproof. Interchangeable necks, a fair price and good re-sale. Fit very well on my big shouldered gelding. Also quite long so good for wet weather.
Bucas - Echo Amigo, super narrow. Badly made now, which is a shame as they used to be wonderful
Fal Rugs - Don't think they make them any more, but good for a narrow to medium chested horse if you can get one second hand.
Gallop - See Amigo and Bucas, not worth it unless you have a fine type. Couldn't even get the front anywhere near each other on my warmblood.
this is brilliant thank you!!

I have always liked Amigo and Weatherbeeta!

I agree about gallop! I had them on my TB!

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
We had a couple of PE rugs for our chunky 16hh ISH - the stable rug was ok but the turnout was ludicrously heavy - as far as I know it was waterproof but tbh we didn't use it that often as it was such a pain to lug about even when completely dry.

The Rambo turnout (it came with 100g and 200g liners) has been amazing and worth every penny - the liner systems means it's easy to get the right temperature and it's never leaked.

The other rug which has been surprisingly good is his Weatherbeeta 0g turnout - it's this one: (https://www.redpostequestrian.co.uk...mic-0g-combo-turnout-rug--purpleblack__148827) - it wasn't cheap, although much less expensive than the Rambo, and he's always been bone-dry underneath.

Both the Rambo and Weatherbeeta fit him very well although we did need to get a chest extender for the Weatherbeeta - Amigo didn't fit him properly around the shoulders

ponios

Visit site
I echo what others have said- Rambo are much better. In addition to what others have said about PE I also hate how many velcro straps they have on their neck rugs and they are the double close ones which are even more faffy! I always curse them when I have to sort friends horses that have them!

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I like Rambo but I can’t currently justify the cost!!! They are very pricey!!!!
if Rambo out of your budget, my rhino one has been fantastic! Managed to get it on sale too so was very reasonable. I bought the MW one and have just added a liner to it for the very cold weather. Even if you found a LW on sale, liners could be added. (And they don’t necessarily have to be the horseware ones, most brands of liner seem to fit fine). My shires tempest has lasted surprisingly well too, given the price.

I had a PE for my boy originally, and while I love their fleeces, stable rugs and fly rugs, really don’t rate the turnouts.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I don't rate the turnouts as I had one years back that leaked from new and I haven't wanted to give them another go as they are expensive. However I did try the superlight fly rugs more recently and they are not generous in size (although I did like them) especially in the surcingle department. The latest design may be different of course.
My friend has one of their fly/ combo rugs and I was considering it but she said the same and I’d need extenders to get it to fit!

The turn outs I’ve not ever bought after feeling how heavy they are. Rambo for heavy and medium weight turn outs hands down. I’ve got two still going no leaking at about 15 yrs old.

I wouldn’t buy anything paticularly heavyweight any more as it’s mostly way too mild in winter to bother, certainly in the south.

I’ve never had any issues with Amigos or Rhinos although the latter the stitching came apart in places. They are a cheaper option. They are less generous size wise.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Another one for too heavy and I didnt find the fit on my new draught boy very good! It's unlikely i would buy from them again unless they get lighter!

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
I have one which admittedly does fit nicely and I haven't had issues with it not being waterproof, it is however really heavy.

I prefer Masta and have heard good things about Ruggles.

Kat

Visit site
I have one which admittedly does fit nicely and I haven't had issues with it not being waterproof, it is however really heavy.

I prefer Masta and have heard good things about Ruggles.
I love my old premier equine turnouts, they are heavy but fit well and have been waterproof for several years. I wouldn't buy the current ones though, the quality has gone down and the price up.

PE and horsewear liners are interchangeable and work really well. I will use them more going forward and have less turnout rugs. I will be buying ruggles or swish in future.

atropa

Visit site
My boy is Irish so I’m looking for something to fit him well!

Try Shires Highlander or Weatherbeeta Comfitec. Amigo I would recommend if your boy has large shoulder but narrows down again at the neck, wouldn't recommend if he is chunky at the shoulders and neck in general - they fit my Irish better than my warmblood.

Only ever bought one PE as thought they were too expensive and it fell to bits very quickly so wasn't impressed.

Green Bean

Visit site
I have three PE rugs and love them all. I started with a Rambo fly rug but it simply did not fit my ISH well so returned it. Bought a PE flyrug and haven't looked back. My lightweight turnout, is admittedly a little heavier than other lightweights, but it fits her so well. I have had no issues with leaking at all. I have a cheap 'Gallop' rug for when there is a chance of light showers and it is warm, but it just doesn't fit her well like the PE one. I have a 'show' rug, which I would say is slightly smaller in size than the other two. Fly and turnout are very true to size.

Stenners

Visit site
I've been looking at the Weatherbeeta Comfitechs - they look such lovely rugs and better for the bigger horse! I always loved Weatherbeeta but moved to Amigo with my last horse due to the liner system and to save on lots of rugs!

I've tried a 6'6 on him in other rugs which looks to fit until he starts eating with his head down and then I can half of his back end which drives me mad so I think he could do with a 6'9. Do they come up generously?

Annagain

Visit site
I love my PE rugs. Yes they're a bit weighty but nothing I can't manage and I've never had a problem with them not being waterproof. The best thing about them is the depth, they're the only ones that don't look like mini skirts on my chunky boys. Monty had a Rambo at one point (admittedly not the xl or whatever the one for big horses is called) and it barely covered his tummy. I've found the lightweights in particular are very waterproof compared to other brands and even after a good few years.

The one down side is the chest clips are rubbish - the metal is cheap and brittle and at least one has broken on a good few of my rugs. They're easy to replace when the rugs go for cleaning. I just leave them done up with one clip until then - the velcro usually keeps the front closed well enough so the clip is just an insurance policy.

Reactions: Kat

Birker2020

Visit site
Does anyone use their rugs and rate them? I need a load of new rugs as my old ones dont fit and at least 3 people have said they wouldn’t use anything else now and that they come up big.

I also know PE is a bit like marmite for some!!…..
They are good for WB's who are wide across the chest and the same for ID's.
I personally use Gallop which is a relatively cheap make and fitted my last horse (WB) brilliantly.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I've heard good things about Ruggles too! May look into them!
The only Ruggles one I had leaked like a sieve on its 1st time in rain (3 winters ago) and I had a shivering animal to deal with. Based on my email correspondence and that 1 rug leaking, I'd not have another.
I have 2 very old PE rugs, neither leak nor have fallen apart, but were from when they made them decently.

My recco list is Rambo and Weatherbeeta dynamic Comfitec, oh, and some cheapo Legacy 0g and 50g rugs that might rip as only 600g but never leak.

Stenners

Visit site
The only Ruggles one I had leaked like a sieve on its 1st time in rain (3 winters ago) and I had a shivering animal to deal with. Based on my email correspondence and that 1 rug leaking, I'd not have another.
I have 2 very old PE rugs, neither leak nor have fallen apart, but were from when they made them decently.

My recco list is Rambo and Weatherbeeta dynamic Comfitec, oh, and some cheapo Legacy 0g and 50g rugs that might rip as only 600g but never leak.
I have just purchased a second hand comfitech 0 fill to see how we go for size but I now have a feeling it's going to be too big!

LegOn

Visit site
Same - found them too heavy, wet or not - poor horse used to breath a sigh of relief when I took them off! And I didnt get on with the fit either!

I know alot of people are saying Rambo - Rambo are Horsewear rugs, same with Amigo & Rhino, they are all different categories of Horsewear rugs - Amigo are much more affordable than the Rambo range and just as good in my opinon, I have a bunch of them & really rate them!

Stenners

Visit site
Same - found them too heavy, wet or not - poor horse used to breath a sigh of relief when I took them off! And I didnt get on with the fit either!

I know alot of people are saying Rambo - Rambo are Horsewear rugs, same with Amigo & Rhino, they are all different categories of Horsewear rugs - Amigo are much more affordable than the Rambo range and just as good in my opinon, I have a bunch of them & really rate them!
I love Amigo! Had one on my cob but unfortunately all of hers are too small for my new boy!

Stenners

Visit site
As I'm not familiar with PE what's the main difference between Akoni, Buster and Titan? Is one type better suited to the chunkier or horse or just a quality thing?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm another who can't afford rambos (though I do have one that was £40 2nd hand) so we have rhinos (one of them also 2nd hand) in part because the v-neck really suits my cob, Mum has amigos and the rhinos are definitely more cost effective!

We had PE buster no fills sooo heavy and not that waterproof after a bit.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Hate PE, they are heavy and rubbed my pony badly. Much prefer amigos, rhinos or shires depending on what I can get in a dinky 5’0 and what’s on sale!

TPO

Visit site
Do they come up generously?

Slightly I would say but not so much that you have to size down.

My horse is annoyingly right in between 6ft3 and 6ft6. So most brands are either a tiny bit on the nippit side or a tad generous. Weatherbeeta 6ft3 fits bang on. They do a 6ft5 so I'm always on the lookout for one to try just in case that's a perfect fit but 6ft3 in WB fits him correctly. He's a 14.3hh(ish) QH so hes not big but he has a sizeable ?

Stenners

Visit site
I've been looking and seen so many of you say now to avoid them! I think i'm going to try for Amigo or Rambo (should a cheap one come up!) or Weatherbeeta! My boy is between a 6'6 and 6'9 i think!

Kat

Visit site
As I'm not familiar with PE what's the main difference between Akoni, Buster and Titan? Is one type better suited to the chunkier or horse or just a quality thing?

I think it is quality, you want the highest denier (1600d?) ballistic ones. It used to be the buster but I think it is now the titan. Check though, I haven't looked for a while.

I find they come up a bit bigger than amigo rugs.