Preparation for riding holiday?

Evie91

Visit site
I MAY have the opportunity of a riding holiday in 2020, possibly two weeks in Chile/Argentina.
It may not happen but I want to prepare like it will!
Question is I currently share a horse and ride three to four times a week for up to an hour max, more like 45mins.
The proposed holiday would involve several hours of riding a day. Obviously upping my riding to several hours a day in advance would help but this just won’t be possible.

Any tips as to how I can prepare when additional riding is not really an option? Any ideas much appreciated.

Kaylum

Visit site
Get as fit as possible go run and the gym. We went ranching and luckily I managed to get fit beforehand.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i went on riding holidays when i was younger and we were riding for about 3 to 4 hours a day and i was fine even though i only rode for an hour tuesdays to fridays, 2hours on saturdays and took the rides on sundays for 4 or 5 hours... as long as you keep up your riding and maybe do pilates or similar to keep flexible you should be ok..

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I was going to say other exercise, I went and did a few 2 hour rides on consecutive days last year and was fine (but also thankfully had good saddles).
What doesn't seem to be covered by other exercise (cycling/swimming/weights) is doing an hour in 2 point canter despite the number of squats I do!

Suechoccy

Visit site
Just be generally fit. With riding holidays (I did Argentina to Chile via the Andes a couple of years ago) if you're generally fit and doing some riding (I ride 4-5 times a week, on average an hour at a time) then you'll be fine. It's gonna be long days in the saddle so make sure you drink enough and that your clothes are comfy and well-fitting, covering-up from the sun is best rather than bare skin, and if in Andes prepare for wet weather too as it's mountains. Horses and tack are lovely, both very comfy, as is food and company. We were half at ranch and half camping and both were fine. Day 2 is usually worst day and after that your'e into it. Have a FABULOUS time.

SO1

Visit site
You will be fine. I have my own pony ride 5 times a week and not normally for more than an hour at a time. I went to Romania last year on a riding holiday and I was probably the person on it who rode the most out of everyone and we did 4-6 hours of riding a day at speed on fairly demanding terrain and everyone even someone who had not ridden for several years was fine

I think as long as you have a general level of fitness then you will be ok, I do quite a bit of walking as well as riding and am fairly fit. I think it also depends on how challenging the horses are to ride and the terrain, if you are actually having to ride rather than being a passenger then it is much more demanding than if you are on easier horse and more of a passenger.

SEL

Visit site
You'll be fine. I was riding fit when I went to Chile but I did a trip to Jordan after 4 months of no riding (not intended - horse broke). Sore muscles on day 2 but I had nurofen!

Awesome part of the world so I hope you get to do your trip. Suechoccy - i really wanted to do the Andes trip but never got round to it. One day....

Evie91

Visit site
Thank you all. Good to know just need general fitness, that I can work to improve.
I really hope it comes off, will be trip of a life time if it does!