Prepareing for Hickstead - XC/derby suggestions?

NewHeights_SJ

www.newheights-showjumping.co.uk
So it looks like i may go to Hickstead this year (yey!!) and am thinking of jumping the Novice Derby. Has anyone jumped this before? Ive heard alot about it and am a little nervous as ive never done anything like it before (although Arctic did jump it last year). So...any suggestions? Im thinking maybe i should go XC schooling or jump a small derby before hand? (If anyone knows of a derby near me pleeease let me know).

Any advice welcome!!

N xx

kit279

Visit site
Lordsbridge has a Derby bank, not sure if that's near enough for you? You can hire it as well to practice, I think.

wellyboot

Visit site
I've jumped it, there's a biggish ditch, water jump, steep bank, hedge and I can't remember what else!

Seem to remember there where some tightish turns as well, I'd go x/c schooling just to check he's not ditchy and see if there are any other competitions you can go to with proper water jumps rather than just trays as it is a wide water jump.

It's also quite long so he probably needs to be slightly fitter, especially as it's at the end of a weeks jumping!

If you're jumping the fox at hickstead that always has the water jump in when in the royston ring.

Hope this helps.

jess_asterix

Visit site
make sure they jump water, ditches and a hedge you will be fine
smile.gif

PaddyMonty

Visit site
What height is it? Looks to be around 1mtr from the pics?

N - my SJ trainer has a bank, ditch water jump etc in his jumping paddock. Might be worth a session with him. Only in towcester so quite close.

Llanali

Visit site
QR- so haven't read anyone else's replies, apologies if I repeat- Addington has a Derby weekend at end of May, incl. bank etc.

SpottedCat

Visit site
I think if he's been before then you should be fine - FWIW I don't think XC schooling is the way to go, though obviously I have only jumped tiny derby classes. My Novice eventer is a total machine XC, never looks at anything, never stops, ditches etc are all fine on him, jumps trakheners no problem.

He nearly had heart failure when I took him in a little derby class, only 90cm so tiny! I think he was completely shell shocked by the questions being 'out of context' if that makes sense - the devil's dyke was particularly interesting!! He was completely unconvinced by SJs with ditches underneath and I honestly thought he'd be fine as he's so 'true' XC.

So if I planned to do one again, I'd do all my practice in a derby course using SJ style fences in order to clue him in to what is expected! I know it is probably different when you are jumping proper courses, but that's just my experience.

SpottedCat

Visit site
Doesn't look like it:

164 8.30 am THE BRITISH NOVICE JUMPING DERBY Table A7
350m per minute. Open to registered horses in Grade C exceeding 148cms. To be ridden by Full,
Associate or Pony Associate Members. Fences not to exceed 1.15m.
ENTRY FEE: £30 PRIZES: £200, £100, £70, £60, £50, £30, £30, £30, £30
(This competition is confined to horses owned and ridden by members of Hickstead).

http://www.hickstead.co.uk/pdfs/Derby%20Schedule%202009.pdf

Mac1999

Visit site
Moulton College have an unaffiliated derby day (not sure when) and I think Milton Keynes Eventing Centre have some two phase (half show jumps, half xc) which may be of use....

flower

Visit site
Agree with the fitness - especially if you are jumping there all week.

It is good fun, there's not really much else like it (I've done a few other "local" derby's which were a bit kinder) and if you can get somewhere to practice ditches, banks and open water jumps then that should be fine.

It is £60 to jump there (or £90 for the year) as you have to be a member of Hickstead.

flower

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Felbridge have a 1m and a 1.10 derby this weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not really comparable to the Hickstead one though IMO. The bank isn't as big or steep, last year they didn't often have a water jump in it (and if they do, it's a portable one with a fence halfway over it so not like the Hickstead one) and they don't have ditches.

They do however have a dyke (which Hickstead doesn't) which can cause a lot of problems!!!