preparing for winter

impresario08

Visit site
is anyone else feeling autumn and winter creeping up already? I went to the horses this morning in a hoodie and beanie haha.

What can we be doing to prep for autumn and winter? We are sorting out hay but I'm thinking about getting rugs cleaned etc?

Shadowdancing

Visit site
Yes I took a picture the other evening and it really had an autumn feel to it. I'm so relieved I've moved yards in time. My horse is almost in full shed for her winter coat!

My rugs have all been sent away for cleaning and repair.

I'm part livery so maybe not so hard for me but I've also discussed arrangements for morning and evening visits with friends for the weekends so we can all fit in a weekend lie in!

KAZJAZ

Visit site
Its definitely chillier, starting to feel almost autumnal.

There is quite a lot to be done in prep for winter, ordering stocks of Hay/haylage, Bedding, check rugs are in good repair - get them cleaned/sorted asap. Check clippers are working, get blades sharpened etc

I check my hay nets are all in order, I have enough to make up a weeks worth of nets, same with feed buckets, I make up dry feeds in advance and stack them so I only have the wet to add.

Over the next week or so i'll be brushing down stable walls to remove the cobwebs, washing down the stable and if time possibly giving it a lick of paint, (clean the light fittings surprising how much brighter stable will be!)

Making sure I've got a decent set of warm wellies and waterproofs at the yard, I also keep a change of clothes in the car over winter, (I slid down a muddy banking spectacularly on my way to car one night and had to drive home COVERED in mud!)

It feels like winter is a long way off but i'll have my thermals hunted out before you know it! - oh and a must for me this year is to actually get a decent pair of gloves! recommendations welcomed!

Jim bob

Visit site
I check my hay nets are all in order, I have enough to make up a weeks worth of nets, same with feed buckets, I make up dry feeds in advance and stack them so I only have the wet to add.

I want to o this; make enough for the week but I feed soaked feeds, how would you do it with soaked feeds?

Damnation

Visit site
To prepare for winter I sit in the foetal position and cry.

I then have nightmares of mud, sore backs, mucking out, haynets, frozen speedibeet and early mornings.

Does that count as preparation?

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
It is starting to turn, dreading it! I was trying to find a yard with an indoor for the winter, but not much luck they are all full.

Coats are already shedding like mad. Must get my clippers serviced soon too. All my rugs are ready to go.

Definitely colder today. Raining here too which makes it feel super wintry.

Good idea on the wellies, I need to get a new pair, my old ones have started to die out and leak at the seams. Waterproofs I deffo need to get, couldn't find a decent set last year.

Might invest in waterproof Jods. was looking at these from Decathlon last year..

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/kipwarm-womens-jodhpurs-black-id_8317557.html

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
It is starting to turn, dreading it! I was trying to find a yard with an indoor for the winter, but not much luck they are all full.

Coats are already shedding like mad. Must get my clippers serviced soon too. All my rugs are ready to go.

Definitely colder today. Raining here too which makes it feel super wintry.

Good idea on the wellies, I need to get a new pair, my old ones have started to die out and leak at the seams. Waterproofs I deffo need to get, couldn't find a decent set last year.

Might invest in waterproof Jods. was looking at these from Decathlon last year..

Turn?? Turning dusty yes but not into Autumn...

Where on earth do you live woman?

Nicnac

Visit site
FFS - it's August, boiling hot, the ground is like concrete, the flowers and the sun's out. Please can we keep these depressing threads to season!

Someone will be harping on about the dreaded day in December soon enough :)

impresario08

Visit site
FFS - it's August, boiling hot, the ground is like concrete, the flowers and the sun's out. Please can we keep these depressing threads to season!

Someone will be harping on about the dreaded day in December soon enough :)

hahaha sorry I'm just trying to get my ducks in order!!

tallyho!

Visit site
It's not exactly feeling like August here in Newcastle... this summer has not been the best!

Come to the west country!!! It's glorious here.

When the sun shines, it's hotter than a badgers armpit and the flies descend on your eyeballs in their millions on a mission to suck your eyes dry.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Its definitely chillier, starting to feel almost autumnal.

There is quite a lot to be done in prep for winter, ordering stocks of Hay/haylage, Bedding, check rugs are in good repair - get them cleaned/sorted asap. Check clippers are working, get blades sharpened etc

Over the next week or so i'll be brushing down stable walls to remove the cobwebs, washing down the stable and if time possibly giving it a lick of paint, (clean the light fittings surprising how much brighter stable will be!)

Making sure I've got a decent set of warm wellies and waterproofs at the yard, I also keep a change of clothes in the car over winter, (I slid down a muddy banking spectacularly on my way to car one night and had to drive home COVERED in mud!)

It feels like winter is a long way off but i'll have my thermals hunted out before you know it! - oh and a must for me this year is to actually get a decent pair of gloves! recommendations welcomed!

Seal skins or Rokel (not sure if that's the right spelling) I have both an drove both.

Jo1987

Visit site
It's boiling in the midlands today, not a cloud in the sky, my horse has sun cream on his nose and I'm praying for rain as the fields are looking decidedly brown!
Quite looking forward to Autumn!

DirectorFury

Visit site
[...]

I've got a pair of these and they're amazing - fully waterproof regardless of how heavy the rain is. They do look quite a lot like fetish wear though and are far too hot to muck out/poo pick in :eek:.

I still need to sort out a full set of turnouts for the ever-growing horse but am cringing at the thought of spending so much. I'm hoping that when the 'new season' Rambos come out the old season colours will drop in price a bit.

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
ooh thanks DF! I might have to splash out so! I can always change if I need to, but I tend to be a cold person and the extra heat will do me the world of good. :)

Mollylittle

Visit site
It's not exactly feeling like August here in Newcastle... this summer has not been the best!

or as we say in Ireland..the summer has not been YET!! I'm actually starting to bring in the hard feed.Buying 6 bags every week so i don't have to run around like a blue arsed fly when I need it.:).As for the weather? It's raining.

Sandstone1

Visit site
If any one is going to be buying wood pellets from white horse energy and is a new customer I've a 5 % off code. Pm me if you want it.

Enfys

Visit site
No.
Not Fall yet.
It is not allowed to be, never mind that the leaves are falling off the trees because we are in a horrid drought, and we are already feeding more hay than usual because the grass is crispy and brown.

Actually it did rain all day yesterday and the temperature dropped from 40C to about 28C which was lovely. We have a hay famine, not a bale to be had for 200 miles (heaves sigh of relief that I got mine in early)

If you really want to prepare for Fall/Winter - lag your pipes, get your grit in, dig out the snow shovel, sort your gloves, hats and thermals out and then sit back smugly because you are ready, kind of ;)

I do none of these efficient preparationy things, the first day I go out and it is -5C I rush back in, dump an entire box of odd gloves on the floor trying to find a pair, or even just left and right - I always have left - where do the rights go? :/ Same with hats, I NEED balaclavas, worn backwards because the hole is great for pulling my hair through ;) and then when it ices up I know I will be searching everywhere for my yak trax - which are actually already on my snow boots, not because I am efficient, but because I didn't take them off :eek:

Enjoy Summer, don't wish it away :)

It is 1.25am here and 24C.

Last edited:

tallyho!

Visit site
No.
Not Fall yet.
It is not allowed to be, never mind that the leaves are falling off the trees because we are in a horrid drought, and we are already feeding more hay than usual because the grass is crispy and brown.

Actually it did rain all day yesterday and the temperature dropped from 40C to about 28C which was lovely. We have a hay famine, not a bale to be had for 200 miles (heaves sigh of relief that I got mine in early)

If you really want to prepare for Fall/Winter - lag your pipes, get your grit in, dig out the snow shovel, sort your gloves, hats and thermals out and then sit back smugly because you are ready, kind of ;)

I do none of these efficient preparationy things, the first day I go out and it is -5C I rush back in, dump an entire box of odd gloves on the floor trying to find a pair, or even just left and right - I always have left - where do the rights go? :/ Same with hats, I NEED balaclavas, worn backwards because the hole is great for pulling my hair through ;) and then when it ices up I know I will be searching everywhere for my yak trax - which are actually already on my snow boots, not because I am efficient, but because I didn't take them off :eek:

Enjoy Summer, don't wish it away :)

It is 1.25am here and 24C.

Enfys... your winters are proper ones (and no doubt oop North n in Scotland) where you are...

I'm not 100% jealous but I would love to see proper snow again one day down here in the south west of England.... can't remember the last time any settled... 2010?

Dry Rot

Visit site
I've tried something new for storing my hay this year. I've so much it won't all go inside and I can't be bothered sheeting it. So Google says net wrap will shed rain like a thatch. So I have about 50 4x4s just sat in a row, lined up with the prevailing wind, on pallets, and with about a foot between each bale. I did it with a few bales one year and they wicked dampness up from the ground and there was some rot where they touched each other, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and hardly any waste on the top.

Fingers crossed!

I tried thermal work gloves last year and I am a convert. They are cheap, flexible, and warm. Highly recommended.

https://www.justworkgloves.co.uk/Thermal-Work-Gloves?gclid=COONq5uqys4CFWsq0wodyuoOxw

If you don't pay water rates, I'd suggest fitting over flow pipes to your water troughs and have them permanently running so they don't freeze. No more running around every morning with a Calor cylinder strapped to the quad thawing out the water every morning for me. The fittings cost about £5 for each trough.

For wet weather gear, forget about anything with 'horse' or 'farming' in the name and go straight to the places that sell the stuff the oil workers and north sea fishermen wear. Try Gaelforce in Inverness.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Defiantly a chill in the air in the morning here .
We started yesterday checking what rugs I need to buy for Autumn .
The forecast is awful here for the next three days MT TBs will be rugged if I leave them out .