Prescription glasses for riding

Blind old bat

New User
Visit site
Hi, I've just joined to see if anyone can advise me about glasses for riding. I've worn contacts for years and years but my eyes are really playing up. I tried on some sports glasses in spec savers but they were absolutely dire-I don't need any help to look a complete numpty on a horse!

gnubee

Visit site
I wear regular glasses to ride with no issues. They are close fitted to my head though - from the youth department. Every time I've come off they've stayed with me. Only time I've had a problem is when I used a cheap set and when I came off a lens popped out.

Blind old bat

New User
Visit site
Don't they steam up? And what about when it rains? Also, I get worried about getting bashed in the face when I'm on the ground. I'm probably just clumsy!

nicelittle

Visit site
Shame that the contacts aren't suiting your eyes. I swapped to them and they're great for riding.
However, glasses, I bought spec savers cheapest pair to ride in, glasses can cost me £250 a pair so I didn't want to risk them falling off, me falling off on them, or getting them scratched. Yes they steam up!
I scratched two lenses in a month by 1. Walking into a leaf rake in my shed and 2. Jumping over a gate (on foot) with a lead rope that swung round and hit my glasses shattering them! Hate to think what would have happened if I wasn't wearing them though!

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
I ride in my glasses (schooling, jumping, one day eventing etc) as contact lenses dont suit me. I have fallen off several times and my glasses have never parted company with me. The only problem is if it is raining it can get a bit hard to see but hey-ho I just carry on!

rachk89

Visit site
I have worn glasses while riding for about 16 of the 22 years I've been riding and so far only broken one pair. That was from landing almost face first into the ground while the horse flipped with me over a jump. Any other fall has had no issues. It didnt break the lens though, it just moved the frame so it sat squint on my head. Guess an opticians could have fixed it perhaps, but I was due new ones anyway.

Django Pony

Visit site
Laser eye surgery!! I had it done 9 years ago and it was the best thing ever!! If I refer you, you can get a discount! PM me if you're interested.

Blind old bat

New User
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I've actually already had laser eye surgery, but I was too short sighted to correct completely. I have bad memories of eventing in glasses when I was having trouble with my lenses years ago. Sort of, I can see a red blob so I'll assume that's a flag and aim just to the left of it....

Clodagh

Visit site
I wear normal glasses but do pay extra for 'safety glass'. I have had no problems, but hunting was a nightmare with steaming up, they don't with normal riding. If it rains your visbility decreases, yea, but the horse can still see!

AmieeT

Visit site
Have you tried changing your contacts? Loads of types and materials- something might be better.

As above, have safety lenses. Polycarb is impact resistant but it does scratch easily.

skint1

Visit site
I ride in glasses, I've been lucky that they've stayed with me when I have parted company from my mount. I always have a spare pair in the car in case the worst happens. :) they're not great when it rains/snows though. I am then pretty blind :)

gnubee

Visit site
I've never had problems with them falling off and my nose sticks out further than the glasses so before the glasses became an issue there would be a serious nose injury already. The rain is unideal but it rains a lot here and after the first few minutes I stop noticing it.

indie1282

Visit site
I used to wear Accuve lenses but they used to really irritate my eyes then I changed to a brand called Daysoft and they are fantastic! I don't ever feel them in and they are a really good price too.

Shay

Visit site
I've worn glasses for the last 15 years - I used to wear the 28 day disposables but developed a problem with them damaging the surface of my eye. I have the ultra light flexible frames and super lightweight lenses (bifocal now - I'm old!) I have never had a problem, broken the fame or scratched a lens. I did break a lens once - but my daughter hit me in the face with a helium balloon (by accident!) so not the horse's fault.

As for steaming up... use rainex! Here http://www.rainx.co.uk/ Best thing for those of us stuck with glasses. They don't steam up and the water slides off them. Perfect!

View

Visit site
I have worn glasses since I was 18 months old, so to me it is normal to wear glasses to ride. When I'm told it's time to change the lenses, I buy two pairs of frames - one with reactolite varifocals which become my everyday pair, and the same prescription varifocal sunglasses (for driving). As it's only the near prescription that changes, I cascade my previous pair to become the pair I wear around horses.

As I always wear a cover with a peak on my skull cap, I tend not to have problems with rain (but not a lot you can do in driving rain), and as for them steaming up, well I've learnt over the years that smaller diameter (top to bottom) frames work better - you need a good gap between your face and the bottom of the frame to avoid this.

Reactolite lens are superb for riding, no need to remember to find your sunglasses and they adjust fast enough nowadays. It's fantastic not to be squinting in the sunlight (when we get any!).

Polycarbonate lens with anti-scratch and toughened treatment are your friends.

AmieeT

Visit site
Please don't buy day soft lenses as somebody has recommended! They are not made in the UK like they claim to be, and so are not monitored by the General Optical Council, and their cheap price (and materials) comes at a cost (particularly because they can be purchased with out of date checks- meaning any problems caused by them are not picked up on!!!). All but one of the people I've seen that wears them has had neovascularisation of the cornea (google it).

FWIW when I'm riding I just wear my normal glasses if I'm not wearing lenses- I even have some polarised prescription sunnies for really bright days- they're absolutely fab.