Pretty Poncy Pony Pee’s off but still Pulls out a Place…

Firewell

Visit site
…Or something like that!

The weekend before last Jae and I went to our 2nd USA show! A dressage show about 45 mins away in Santa Barbara. We got there at just the right time, I was able to change my baby boy, pass him off to OH with a snack and jump aboard Jae with a comfortable half an hour to warm up. It was a super spooky venue with a well frequented bike path running just behind the warm up and competition arenas. Jae worked in well although we did find ourselves suddenly flying down the warm up at 100 miles an hour when about 10 bikes popped up out of nowhere and went whooshing past!

The first test I forgot my first salute. Here in America you halt and salute on the first centre line as well as the last. I remembered to halt but not salute ha ha. It felt like it was going Ok, that was until the last canter! Just as we struck off another few bikes went flying out from behind a hedge past us and off we shot up the arena with Jae’s head between his legs lol. I got him back and carried on and finished without further incident but I was slightly red in the face, especially when the judge remarked that it wasn’t a rodeo :eek: !

We had an hour wait before the next class and in the mean time I really worked on getting him moving forwards off my leg. I have been practicing sharpening him up a lot at home, really getting him to shift his arse the moment my (tiny) spur touches his side. The quality of his work has improved because of this but he has become a bit hotter and a small amount of tension creeps in every now and again. He is very much the sort of horse that will adjust himself, if you slop along he does and if you are sharp he is! It’s just keeping the balance right.

The 2nd test felt better, I remembered my halt and I thought the test was flowing quite nicely until the last canter again… on the other rein this time and I flipping heard the whoosh of the bikes behind us and so was prepared for the canter-gallop transition (I said he was more reactive! ). It was a shame as it spoilt our stretchy trot which came next, it was the fastest stretchy trot in the world, I was trying to rise really slowly lol but it still felt like a chicken running.

We got a very happy 70% in the first test and were pipped into 2nd place by one of those combinations you know are the ones to beat when you see them in the warm up! The second test we got 68.2% and won yaaaaay! I was really pleased with the scores. We got 8’s for the centre lines I saluted on which I was chuffed about as straightness is something I have been working my arse off on. We got a 4 and then a 5 in the tests for the rodeo/running incidents. In the first test his scores improved after the spook because he was more forwards and we got an 8 for our trot. In the 2nd test our scores declined after the spook because the stretchy trot was ruined and that is a double mark here in America. I think we got a 6 for it. The tests were pretty consistent with 7’s and 8’s and the odd 6.

All in all a really positive day, showing a fair bit of improvement. It was weird driving home from a competition down the 101 with the pacific ocean and palm trees at my side, it felt quite surreal!

Pretty poncy pony :-

10257389_10152296686250210_2294444685393786972_o.jpg

10256235_10152332837675210_6810712512631758806_n.jpg

10271630_10152332837715210_3975198690529508879_n.jpg

Plans for the next month are two hunter/jumper shows (one of them rated eeeek) and all being well our first USEA event *gulp*!

Thanks for reading!!

Firewell

Visit site
Fanks everyone! Our dressage has really improved, I think because of my yoga and me being more flexible. So pleased!! I'm excited to see what a rated show is all about, they are bigger and held over 2 days :D :D. There is quite a number of shows here locally over the summer, I could compete most weekends if I wanted and there was I worried there wouldn't be much *silly*.
Jae also had his 9 birthday over the weekend, can't believe I have owned him nearly 5 years now! :) :)

lucemoose

Visit site
Love the report! And what brilliant scores and strangely chubby ribbons! Is it weird to have them as blue for first? God you get so mind warped when silly little things change!
What classes are you doing at the jumping shows, hunter ones or jumper ones? And are there any more ways in which the American tests differ? I've just been googling all the eventing levels here, in the uk, Australia and the states to try and work out what's what ha.
Well done, I hope you wore the weatherbys pad!!

EveningStar

Visit site
Well done!
Jae looks so well, what brilliant results for your first shot at dressage in a new country
Sounds like you've got plenty of fun coming up! Good luck and keep us updated :)

Firewell

Visit site
Thanks! We did training 2 and 3. I think it's strange they hardly have any tests, is it 4 per level?! Makes learning them easier!
Lucemoose we will do the 90cm jumpers :). The show hunter classes are so discipline specific here in the way they mark, they are super picky/competitive and the show hunters go in such a different wayto jumpers/eventers and the way J has been taught. Also he is not presented properly. He has a pulled, banged tail and a cut mane and his whiskers still on! And my tack is all black. It's all too much hassle ;). His style of jumping is too 'up and out' as well, the show hunters at the rated shows here really drop their heads. Basically we won't come anywhere so its not worth it.
We have been practicing our jump off turns at home though and he is loving it! He turns and jumps off a dime bless him so I'm looking forward to being braver and trying to go for it time wise next time we are out :). I'm also super excited about the event, he hasn't been XC for ages, he is going to be so pleased :) :).

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site
We ony have 3 tests per level at the moment! Used to be four. I find it seriously werid/confusing that there are so many different tests at each level in the UK! ;) Does mean you tend to learn them pretty well by the time they get round to changing them - about every 3/4 years I think here.

*goes off to google/work out what 'Training level' is* ;)

Firewell

Visit site
The names of the different levels I find confusing still!
Dressage is easy, Intro is the same as UK. Training is Prelim, 1st Level is Novice, 2nd level is Elementary, 3rd is Medium, it goes up to level 5 and then Grand Prix.
Eventing. Omg when I got here the ladies at my yard asked what level he did and I said Intro! Intro here is 12 to 24 inchs ha ha! I think they wondered why I had imported him! Eventing starts at Intro and then Beginner Novice (80cm), then Novice (90cm), then Training (100), then Preliminary (our Novice) and then Intermediate I think and so on.
The rated Jumper classes start at 70cm, then 80cm then 95cm (no 90cm), then 1m, 1.05 and right up to FEI. In the jumper classes here though the first round is timed. If you don't go fast enough there is no jump off for you. Took me a bit of getting used to at my first show! Why was everyone flying round the first round! I did a clear, went to do my jump off and was pulled up! I had 10 time faults ha ha ooops!
The show hunter is basically our showing classes but with jumps. It is like our working hunter but no flat section and they run from x pole classes to 3ft3. From what I can gather it is judged on conformation, turnout, manners, way of going (flicky toed canter, nose low) and having a neat round very rythmical jump. A successful 3ft3 showhunter will command a price tag of hundreds of thousands of dollars. Don't ask me why I don't really understand it!
I was told my horse would make a nice show hunter but he's a little flat where the top of his neck joins his head (bless him!) and he's a bit too bold when he jumps (oh well!).
That is all I have learnt at the moment. Oh also all events are held over 3 days here not one but from what I can gather the heights and type of fences are the same or similar. They do SJ last though. It is Dressage, then XC and on the final day SJ like Badders ;) :p.

Last edited:

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site
The names of the different levels I find confusing still!
Dressage is easy, Intro is the same as UK. Training is Prelim, 1st Level is Novice, 2nd level is Elementary, 3rd is Medium, it goes up to level 5 and then Grand Prix.
Eventing. Omg when I got here the ladies at my yard asked what level he did and I said Intro! Intro here is 12 to 24 inchs ha ha! I think they wondered why I had imported him! Eventing starts at Intro and then Beginner Novice (80cm), then Novice (90cm), then Training (100), then Preliminary (our Novice) and then Intermediate I think and so on.
The rated Jumper classes start at 70cm, then 80cm then 95cm (no 90cm), then 1m, 1.05 and right up to FEI. In the jumper classes here though the first round is timed. If you don't go fast enough there is no jump off for you. Took me a bit of getting used to at my first show! Why was everyone flying round the first round! I did a clear, went to do my jump off and was pulled up! I had 10 time faults ha ha ooops!
The show hunter is basically our showing classes but with jumps. It is like our working hunter but no flat section and they run from x pole classes to 3ft3. From what I can gather it is judged on conformation, turnout, manners, way of going (flicky toed canter, nose low) and having a neat round very rythmical jump. A successful 3ft3 showhunter will command a price tag of hundreds of thousands of dollars. Don't ask me why I don't really understand it!
I was told my horse would make a nice show hunter but he's a little flat where the top of his neck joins his head (bless him!) and he's a bit too bold when he jumps (oh well!).
That is all I have learnt at the moment. Oh also all events are held over 3 days here not one but from what I can gather the heights and type of fences are the same or similar. They do SJ last though. It is Dressage, then XC and on the final day SJ like Badders ;) :p.

Thanks for the explanation! :)

leflynn

Visit site
Thanks! We did training 2 and 3. I think it's strange they hardly have any tests, is it 4 per level?! Makes learning them easier!
Lucemoose we will do the 90cm jumpers :). The show hunter classes are so discipline specific here in the way they mark, they are super picky/competitive and the show hunters go in such a different wayto jumpers/eventers and the way J has been taught. Also he is not presented properly. He has a pulled, banged tail and a cut mane and his whiskers still on! And my tack is all black. It's all too much hassle ;). His style of jumping is too 'up and out' as well, the show hunters at the rated shows here really drop their heads. Basically we won't come anywhere so its not worth it.
We have been practicing our jump off turns at home though and he is loving it! He turns and jumps off a dime bless him so I'm looking forward to being braver and trying to go for it time wise next time we are out :). I'm also super excited about the event, he hasn't been XC for ages, he is going to be so pleased :) :).

Crikey I'd be in a tizz with all that! Both look fabby congrats :D jumps off a 'dime'? You sound all american-ish now ;) :D :D Lovely to see you having fun and showing them ho wit's done ;) :D