Preventative measures for dog going into slightly older age?

Kat_Bath

Visit site
Harvey is 7 now and whilst he isn't slowing down dramatically, he's not as spritely as when we got him at aged 4. We don't know his history as he's a rescue.

Since the beginning of 2021, he has developed a fatty lump, which was pea-sized in February but is now 4 times the size (which sounds dramatic but it was a pea?). The vet confirmed a lipoma last week and said it won't need removing unless it hinders mobily (it's kind of near his underarm of a front leg). He also has the smallest of skin tags on his eye lid - vet not concerned about that atm, which is good.

With dogs throughout my childhood, my mum never put them on anything or did anything preventative. However, Harvey might be a Lab prone to Lab-related issues and I'm wondering at what point do we try him on maybe a joint supplement or a copper collar and if there's anything else we can do to assist?

I've been reading about lipomas and that seems like something that has to be lived with, with removal not really actually making them go away. The copper collar idea was from a lady who we met whilst walking near Cramond, who had a gorgeous Lab, full of life and so happy. She said she wasn't like that a month ago and she tried a copper collar and the change was amazing.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated :) I should probably say that changing food isn't an option as he's on a combo of hypoallergenic food and his single protein kibble, for his potential acid reflux that flared up earlier this year (I think I posted) but is now well under control - touch wood!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i put my collie cross on yumove advance when she was 13 as she had slowed down and had arthritis in her front legs. it made a real difference and seemed to help with the things like stiffness getting up and going up and down the steps to the garden..she was still enjoying 20 min walks ten days before i lost her and had a 10 min walk in the morning and later in the afternoon she went wobbly on her back legs and was struggling to walk . she was 15.and i think her quality of life improved with using the supplement, i tried yumove which you can buy over the counter but it didnt seem to make any difference. yumove advance can only be got from your vet...

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Daisy has been on Yumove (as a preventative measure and support) for two years now. She’s 7 1/2. She’s a small dog, however walks several miles a day, so I’m keen to support her joints. I’ve also put my new dog on it (he’s 6. Previously grossly overweight but now at his target weight). He had occasions of hind limb lameness and possible early onset arthritis prior to getting him - all signs of both have disappeared, but that could well be due to his weight loss.

StableMum

Visit site
My boy, now nearly 12 has been on Nutraquin+ from a young age to support his joints and also Flexadin Advanced for about 5 years. He is half lab so we were aware he could have related issues that we wanted to prevent if possible. He also has a lipoma in his underarm by his front leg that causes him no problem.

Bellasophia

Visit site
My poodle boy (9 in dec.)has two lipomas,both marble sized..I had a needle biopsy to check the contents and we left them alone.However one is becoming tender when I groom and the surrounding skin is becoming darker so I’m going to have it removed.
This one was removed three years ago and has reappeared..my vet actually allowed me into the surgery as she removed it under local anaethetic and my gentle boy didn’t move ,as long as I was at his side.
Strangely it had roots like a cauliflower..she called it a “ black cyst”..it required five stitches,despite appearing superficial on the surface.
I’ve read some vets are using liposuction tubes to remove large lipomas in a bid to be less invasive,which was of interest to me,but it’s not available here as yet.
Re old age..I use raincoats which I’m sure help prevent old age stiffness and keep the weight down,but to date non of my poodles ( 23kg) have had old age joint issues.

wren123

Visit site
The copper collar sounds interesting, I might try one, my lab has slowed down a little recently.
She is 13 and has arthritis in her elbow, we keep her completely sound by keeping her slim and exercising everyday but not overdoing it, so daily 5 Mile walks but not throwing stick or balls. She is on the expensive yumove from the vet since having xrays after a one off bout of lameness, showing arthritis in her elbow.
Before that she was on the normal yumove, I'm not sure it made any difference to be honest.
So I think keeping them slim and fit, without too much ball or stick throwing as the sudden stops, starts and turns put a lot of strain on their joints.

paisley

Visit site
Ditto the Yumove. Would also suggest finding a canine physio for a once over as this has been invaluable for improving 11 year old whippets post exercise stiffness.

Swimming as well in a nearby hydro pool, which has been fun as I have to hop in as well. Obvs this is a princess whippet and a much more manly Lab will be in rivers anyway!

Small adjustments during exercise such as lead walking (not trotting) and making sure its straight- I hadn't noticed how much I let mine walk a bit squint.

Ask your vet, but half to 1 (500mg) paracetamol after a strenuous walk has also been helpful

Kat_Bath

Visit site
Thanks everyone - this is really helpful. YuMove sounds like the go-to, which is unsurprising as they're prominent.

Interesting to see the different ages and some older dogs being mentioned too. Naturally, I want Harvey to live forever and ever so I want to make sure he's happy.

He's doing quite well weight-wise at the mo. Although I should say "he was doing quite well" as he was a cheeky sod at the dog walker on his holidays recently and 10 minutes before coming home, raided his food and ate the lot and I gave her quite a bit more than she needed...

My boy, now nearly 12 has been on Nutraquin+ from a young age to support his joints and also Flexadin Advanced for about 5 years. He is half lab so we were aware he could have related issues that we wanted to prevent if possible. He also has a lipoma in his underarm by his front leg that causes him no problem.

Thanks SM - I'll look these up as well as YuMove. Good to hear if another lipoma that doesn't cause any issues - hopefully this one (and yours too!) stays that way as long as possible.

My poodle boy (9 in dec.)has two lipomas,both marble sized..I had a needle biopsy to check the contents and we left them alone.However one is becoming tender when I groom and the surrounding skin is becoming darker so I’m going to have it removed.
This one was removed three years ago and has reappeared..my vet actually allowed me into the surgery as she removed it under local anaethetic and my gentle boy didn’t move ,as long as I was at his side.
Strangely it had roots like a cauliflower..she called it a “ black cyst”..it required five stitches,despite appearing superficial on the surface.
I’ve read some vets are using liposuction tubes to remove large lipomas in a bid to be less invasive,which was of interest to me,but it’s not available here as yet.
Re old age..I use raincoats which I’m sure help prevent old age stiffness and keep the weight down,but to date non of my poodles ( 23kg) have had old age joint issues.

This is really interesting to read, thank you. I wasn't quite aware that the skin could change as well. I've seen pictures and the skin looks different but wasn't really in the know so thank you. I hope the removal goes well for you both - would like to hear how it goes if you I'd feel like sharing.

Rain coats is actually a valid point. I don't think we're quite there yet but it does rain a lot up here so I will keep an eye on any discomfort as a result of being out in cold, damp conditions.

The copper collar sounds interesting, I might try one, my lab has slowed down a little recently.
She is 13 and has arthritis in her elbow, we keep her completely sound by keeping her slim and exercising everyday but not overdoing it, so daily 5 Mile walks but not throwing stick or balls. She is on the expensive yumove from the vet since having xrays after a one off bout of lameness, showing arthritis in her elbow.
Before that she was on the normal yumove, I'm not sure it made any difference to be honest.
So I think keeping them slim and fit, without too much ball or stick throwing as the sudden stops, starts and turns put a lot of strain on their joints.

The lady we saw at Cramond had a black Lab and I commented on how well and bright she looked. She said she hadn't been like this a month ago and then someone suggested a copper collar and she seemed to get younger almost overnight. I'm super sceptical but you don't know unless you try and they're quite inexpensive compared to some measures.

Fitness is a very good point and I'm suffering from lack of fitness myself at the moment! We will throw a ball ocassionally (once a month tops) but it's always in a flat, smooth field. Most of the time, he just likes to carry a ball!

Ditto the Yumove. Would also suggest finding a canine physio for a once over as this has been invaluable for improving 11 year old whippets post exercise stiffness.

Swimming as well in a nearby hydro pool, which has been fun as I have to hop in as well. Obvs this is a princess whippet and a much more manly Lab will be in rivers anyway!

Small adjustments during exercise such as lead walking (not trotting) and making sure its straight- I hadn't noticed how much I let mine walk a bit squint.

Ask your vet, but half to 1 (500mg) paracetamol after a strenuous walk has also been helpful

A physio is such a good point and despite going regularly myself, I'd never thought of that! Thank you! Now you mention that and walking a bit squint actually, I do think this would help as I would say 7-8 times out of ten, if you watch him from behind on a local walk from our house (so mornings and lunchtimes) he looks like he's doing shoulder in and does walk/trot on 3 tracks. I'll have a proper look at his walk next time I'm out with him.

This summer, we have done more swimming than ever and I do like to think it helps him and he loves it and has grown in confidence compared to when we first got him. I love swimming and I feel the benefits of it so surely it must help him. We're going to the beach tomorrow so I'm hoping we might go in for a dip/paddle.

Thanks again everyone - this is all so helpful, as always. You're all fab!

Andie02

Visit site
Our Jack Russel started to develop hind leg problems, I saw Riaflex Canine Joint Plus and Green Lipped Mussel recommended on here and ordered. He has been on them for some while now, they have made a vast difference to him, he is now 13 years old.

fiwen30

Visit site
Things which have been helping our older lad include changes in the home (no stairs, no jumping on furniture or people, all slippy floors covered). daily Yumove chewies, shorter but more frequent walks where his pace is controlled (straight 4-beat walk, not lolloping all over, not constant trotting), sessions with the vet physio to check his pain levels & pain medication as recommended by the vet physio & regular vet.

Don’t fall down the rabbit hole of relying only on supplements, when most arthritic dogs require medication in order to stay comfortable. The ‘Canine Arthritis Management’ page and group on fb, and their website, are incredibly useful for advice & info.

GSD Woman

Visit site
Rudy is 10 and a half and was getting a bit sore in his right at times. I've made an effort to keep him in good weight. We also had to stop agility. Between COVID and my health crisis around Xmas I felt like it was time. I really think stopping contacts and weaves has helped his shoulder.
keep up with the exercise, careful feeding and an anti-inflammatory when he seems a little ochy. I've never noticed a change with joint supplements for my dogs but I know of plenty of people who have had success with them.
Chiro will help. Around here it almost impossible to get in with one though.

I had never heard of copper collars. I'll have to research that.

Annette4

Visit site
Mine do more than some pets with 2/3 sports each so all are on joint supplements (currently a low dose herbal option but Fizz who is 7 will be moving to a more heavy duty one this year), they wear back on track coats before and after sports, have magnetic collars and see a chiro and physio at the start and end of the year for maintenance (and if needed in between).

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I had my 13 year old Sprollie on Yumove Plus but as I live in ROI have found it impossible to source since Brexit.

He's now on hemp oil & it's absolutely amazing & works even better than the Yumove for his joints with the added bonus of calming him also ?

brightmount

Visit site
I got my rescue Springer at 6 years old and put her on Yumove pretty much straight away as her leg conformation is terrible. She hasn’t had a hint of arthritis until now, and she’s now 13, so I think it has helped, as my previous Spaniels were stiff way before the age of 13.

I also use a ramp for the car so she doesn’t have to jump.

She has really huge lipomas unfortunately. The vet always said, just keep an eye on them. They don’t tend to remove them as they just come back. They are now too large and numerous to remove. They don’t cause problems but they look awful. There’s one on her side that’s the size of a boob, and another around her chest and armpit. I wish I had had them removed really but at 13 it would be invasive and unnecessary now.

One thing I do recommend though is getting bloods done with senior dogs. Bloods picked up kidney disease in my Yorkie, so I was able to put him on a renal diet and fortekor, which gave him a new lease of life. He’s now 15 and just like a young dog. My Springer also recently had bloods which showed early kidney disease so she’s on a renal diet too.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Ok so this isn't aimed at the OP or anyone who acquires a dog in later life but is just an observation/my experience of multiple large breed dogs acquired at all stages of life.

If you can, feed, supplement, condition and mitigate when they're younger and when the damage is being done. I have been criticised for being conservative in the past but I have two older gents who have had a heavy workload but are often mistaken for being years younger than they really are.

Genetics comes into it too.

only_me

Visit site
My lab Nahla is 10 now and started slowing down last year, we started her on Yumove and limited the amount of fetch she’s allowed to play - she absolutely loves the ball!

she was also overweight but was hard to control as didn’t want to overdo the walks which would make her sore etc.

Since getting the pup she has a new lease on life - also helped that has lost a fair bit of weight and now sports a lovely waist!

She also has lipomas, first noticed a few years ago (aged 7 maybe?) and like another poster had a biospy done at the time to make sure nothing sinister. Since then she does have more that have appeared however they dont appear to be causing any issues and I just brush more gentle over the areas.

I’m also planning on taking her to hydro over the winter to help keep on top of things, there is not much better for arthritis than swimming!

paisley

Visit site
Ok so this isn't aimed at the OP or anyone who acquires a dog in later life but is just an observation/my experience of multiple large breed dogs acquired at all stages of life.

If you can, feed, supplement, condition and mitigate when they're younger and when the damage is being done. I have been criticised for being conservative in the past but I have two older gents who have had a heavy workload but are often mistaken for being years younger than they really are.

Genetics comes into it too.
This. I stopped throwing balls for the whippet and put him on Yumove when he was about 2 years old, as his speed/ turns just made me think of polo ponies and muscular damage. Plus some family history. I wish I'd used physiotherapy earlier, but thats a life lesson for next time.