Price for horse with sarcoids?

OzzyBuffy

Visit site
As someone suggested I should get a price now for buy the hrose at end of the loan which is a year long.
Details:

4 years old
Backed but only walking (And only 2 or 3 times)
15.2 Warmblood x
Does apparently have champions in the blood line such as:
Tiger Aspect is his sire & grandsire Top Tiger - both coloureds and champion showjumpers
He is a pretty boy but his sarcoids are very prominent and there is quite a few of them. Currently they don't interrupt tack.
He has alot of work to be done, lack of respect, bolshy etc, so I will be putting all this work in.

If you were to buy this type of horse right now what would you pay?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
well tricky one my mare had sarcoids

at 2 or 3 and vet tied the off later they dropped off never to return so i would check with vet as if they can be removed then the priced shouldn't go down or get the seller to get them tied off

Miss L Toe

Visit site
You can't really agree a price in twelve months for a youngster, as there are so many factors, either way you probably won't get paid for the work you put in, as if it increases the value a lot the owner may want to sell it for a profit.
If it is still bargey and unschooled, etc then you have not added value.
Same applies to sarcoids, in a year they may have gone or not. If still got them then it would be worth a lot less to a show person but if it turns out to be an Olympic five star jumper then a jump owner would buy it anyway.
I don't understand why anyone would want to loan a [young]horse for a year and then sell it to the loaner, especially as things can go wrong and they might get a horse returned from loan unsound or in need of R and R [not suggesting this in your case]. Why do they not just sell it now?
The market may go up and it may go down, you may agree on a price, put in a lot of work then have to return it to owner.

Last edited:

OzzyBuffy

Visit site
Okay not quite what I was expecting. She has 2 kids and another pony. She rescued this one, but didn't think about the consequences. She has spent a year trying to work with him but realised she's not confident enough to do so, and she loves him very much and doesn't want to part with him but said that if in a years time I want to buy she will leave the option open, but as someone else has said on here, I need to agree the price now and get a written contract or something because value will go up in that year, even if I did no work with him, ill be the one treating sarcoids and keeping him worked via lunging and walks out which he's not doing now. Ands its a case of IF I buy him. Also, it doesn't matter why she put him out on loan - the question I have asked is what would you pay for a horse of this type?

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Wouldnt pay much,or roughly caliculate the cost of treating them,which will depend where and what type they are then take that off the horses "normal" value.
Also they think sarcoids are heriditary so breeding from a mare thats has or had them is not a good or sensible idea.

I know its more about what the horse can do but if the horse isnt fit for perpose as the sarcoids affect them, in the way of tack etc, then it will relect in the price.

Samantha008

Visit site
about 1000 tops???

A horse on my yard has sarcoids and hes a brilliant eventer???? Theyve never caused him a problem and hes had them for years. It did mean he was supposed to be around £4000 but cant sell for over £2000ish. He is 11 years old though too...

I dont know if id agree a price at the beginning of the loan. Perhaps value the horse as it is now, but as mentioned above, so so much can change in a year. Id just say that a price you both agree on. Theres not much you can do as a loaner im afraid to make sure the owner wont rip you off. Just be nice to her ;)

Good Luck!!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Also they think sarcoids are heriditary so breeding from a mare thats has or had them is not a good or sensible idea.

I know its more about what the horse can do but if the horse isnt fit for perpose as the sarcoids affect them, in the way of tack etc, then it will relect in the price.

as i said get vet to check them he will determine what type they are untill you know you dont know what you are dealing with !!!!!!

and they were NOT hereditary to diamonds son Diamonds son has not got them!!!!

There are six different forms of sarcoid but it is possible for them to change from a relatively quiet type to more aggressive if they are scratched or surgically removed, making them difficult for vets to treat.

The different types of sarcoid are:

* Type 1 – Occult: Signified by hair loss and a grey, scaly area of skin, which may progress to other types of sarcoid, particularly if traumatised in any way.
* Type II – Verrucose: Signified by areas of thickened skin, which may have a broad base or neck. Liable to become aggressive if traumatised.
* Type III – Fibroblastic: Red, raw, ulcerated growths that bleed easily. Sometimes associated with wound scars. Very aggressive if traumatised or surgically removed.
* Type IV – Nodular: Relatively benign growth seen under the skin and can usually be removed without dire consequences.
* Type V – Mixed verrucose, fibroblastic and nodular: Probably a transitional state, when less aggressive types are changing to more serious sarcoids.
* Type VI – Malevolent: Extremely aggressive mass of ulcerating nodules spreading through the skin.

Last edited:

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
I personally would avoid buying a horse with sarcoids.

^^^^ This, if you have a horse who then gets them then its not your fault, but I wouln't buy one with them, you never know what type they will grow into and once they come in the tack area you've had it for riding. Apparently they can be spread by flies, presumable the weeping type.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Okay not quite what I was expecting. She has 2 kids and another pony. She rescued this one, but didn't think about the consequences. She has spent a year trying to work with him but realised she's not confident enough to do so, and she loves him very much and doesn't want to part with him but said that if in a years time I want to buy she will leave the option open, but as someone else has said on here, I need to agree the price now and get a written contract or something because value will go up in that year, even if I did no work with him, ill be the one treating sarcoids and keeping him worked via lunging and walks out which he's not doing now. Ands its a case of IF I buy him. Also, it doesn't matter why she put him out on loan - the question I have asked is what would you pay for a horse of this type?

Really nothing.

She should sign ownership over to you or pay a meat cost.
There are so many horses out there.
It lovely that she rescued him, and you like him enough to pay for the treatment and work with him.
But being tough and realistic he isnt worth anything.
Even in a year he could be a fantastic riding horse but with the sarcoid either still there or potential to recurred the value would still be low.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
as i said get vet to check them he will determine what type they are untill you know you dont know what you are dealing with !!!!!!

and they were NOT hereditary to diamonds son Diamonds son has not got them!!!! QUOTE]

Ok i may have got the terminology wrong BUT
they are believed to have a genetic link.
Not every horse with a relative thats has them will get them but its another factor to if a horse is likely to get them.
Thats why its now believed mares with sarcoids should not have foals.

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=16459

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
This sort of horse is worth very little, £500 tops.
With hard work and some luck on the sarcoids he could turn into a superstar, but equally you might be lumbered with a horse you don't want to own having spent a lot of time and money in the process.

Before proceeding I would have the vet check the horse out and advise you on the severity of the sarcoids and approximate treatment costs and success rate.

TBH I'm sure you could find yourself something better on loan.

Muchadoaboutnothing

Visit site
There is no proven txt about them being hereditary. If you look at the liverpool website which has extensive knowledge in this field they say exactly this.

It is thought that they can be spread by flys though hence if they have them there is the risk of them spreading. This however is also unproven to my knowledge :eek:

As for value, you have to think about getting them treated and the possible long term cost should they reappear and if this horse is worth that risk to you. I do belive there was a horse shown at Carl Hesters that had them, doubt if he's worth only meat money ;)

OzzyBuffy

Visit site
I have mentioned everything that has been suggested here but her reply is that I shouldn't ignore the bloodlines the gelding has, e.g. sire and grand sire.

I do understand what she is saying but wondering whether that should REALLY matter?

I still want him on loan regardless as he deserves a chance and Id like to give him that chance. She has agreed to pay for the treatment for the sarcoids.

horsegirl

Visit site
I have mentioned everything that has been suggested here but her reply is that I shouldn't ignore the bloodlines the gelding has, e.g. sire and grand sire.

I do understand what she is saying but wondering whether that should REALLY matter?

I still want him on loan regardless as he deserves a chance and Id like to give him that chance. She has agreed to pay for the treatment for the sarcoids.

The treatment could run to thousands and they will probably come back worse!

NOISYGIRL

Visit site

Sorry but what use are bloodlines with a horse you might not be able to ride in the future, is she paying for existing ones ? future ones ? you are probably attached to this pony now, but seriously she us pulling a fast one saying that to you about the bloodlines, its just ridiculous

Pebbles

Visit site
Sorry but what use are bloodlines with a horse you might not be able to ride in the future, is she paying for existing ones ? future ones ? you are probably attached to this pony now, but seriously she us pulling a fast one saying that to you about the bloodlines, its just ridiculous

Sadly I couldn't agree more. Obviously some sarcoids aren't too bad but if you have owned a horse with large weeping wounds and prognosis for one being potentially cancerous you would be very buyer beware! It could potentially be thousands and be ongoing for life too sadly :-(

KVH

Visit site
Sadly I couldn't agree more. Obviously some sarcoids aren't too bad but if you have owned a horse with large weeping wounds and prognosis for one being potentially cancerous you would be very buyer beware! It could potentially be thousands and be ongoing for life too sadly :-(

Poor Mckenzie! :(

irishdraft

Visit site
realisticly the horse you are describing is not worth much, its not only the sarcoids, its also that he is a young virtually untouched horse, if you look at the market you will see youngsters are not going for much, they are very, very hard work, people may talk about bloodlines but its performance that counts and at the moment you dont know whats that likely to be, so coupled with the sarcoids which may or may not be a problem, I would think a few hundred would be a fair price.