Price of a cross breed puppy

melle

Visit site
How much would you expect to pay for a cross breed puppy? The litter was a result of an accidental mating so not a designer cross. Both parents are gundogs, kennel club registered, health checked etc

Thanks

s4sugar

Visit site
Health checked or health tested -there is a world of difference?

I would say about what the Dogs Trust asks for a puppy born there.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
If it's an oops litter I would pay a nominal fee.

Agree, a health test requires a swab, blood sample, x-ray etc, with certified and recordable results via a recognised veterinary body. A health check is a quick look-over by a vet, crystal balls normally not used :p

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
As above, health checked or health tested?

Dogs Trust, Battersea etc. charge about £100 but this includes neutering. I'd suggest something that covers the cost of vaccinating and microchipping - maybe £50.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
How much would you expect to pay for a cross breed puppy? The litter was a result of an accidental mating so not a designer cross. Both parents are gundogs, kennel club registered, health checked etc

Thanks

A Springador by any chance? People charge between £200 and £400 for them - it's a super cross. And - hey - a designer x started OFF as an accident - think of a good name for the x and you're winning. :D

s4sugar

Visit site
Sorry Janet but a designer x did not start off as an accident but by someone thinking up a name and crossing the breeds to fit. We had someone locally crossing boxers with chocolate labs - advertising the scraggly pups as Box'o'chocolates at more than a decently bred, from health tested parents, purebred. There are a lot of suckers out there.

trina1982

Visit site
My friend just paid £450 for a newfoundland x labrador (accident apparently :rolleyes:). Labrador was the mum too - risky business :(

It's mental what people will pay

Elsiecat

Visit site
For an accidental litter I'd be willing to pay the cost of the owners raising puppy until 8 weeks old.

trina1982

Visit site
Wow.

Typed out a reply several times but all I can come out with is HIPS!!!!!

If thats regarding the newfie x lab, then yes, i thought the same.

I was a bit surprised they weren't more cynical of the whole situation (don't want to go into on here). They got seriously burned with their last purchase - a choc lab pup who had HD diagnosed, developed some kind of allergy that meant he needed injections regularly and they sadly lost him aged 5 becase of a brain tumour.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed this pup turns out ok for them.

s4sugar

Visit site
For an accidental litter I'd be willing to pay the cost of the owners raising puppy until 8 weeks old.
Fair enough -and for a deliberate litter I would not pay anything. I would hope they ended up with a full litter still at 12 weeks plus and make a financial loss so they don't try it again.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Wasn't the labradoodle one of the first designer crossbreeds, which was bred to try and create a Guide Dog that didn't moult. I have read recently that the originator of the cross now regrets doing it as so many have jumped on the bandwagon.
Re price of a cost, I would say around the same price as rehoming from a charity, e.g. around £100 -150.

ETS Here is what the man credited as first person to breed the labradoodle has to say

http://starline-australianlabradoodles.homestead.com/HISTORY3.html

melle

Visit site
Advert says 'all relevant health testing for the breeds. (Hip-scoring, heart and eye testing )'

They are spaniel x pointer. We are looking for a pointer type but at £800 + a puppy we cannot justify this. This litter mentioned at priced at £350 each and will not negotiate on price. My father in law has always had gundogs and said he thinks this is really expensive for what is an accidental mating . . . puppies look cute though :p

FionaM12

Visit site
Wasn't the labradoodle one of the first designer crossbreeds, which was bred to try and create a Guide Dog that didn't moult. I have read recently that the originator of the cross now regrets doing it as so many have jumped on the bandwagon.

Yes, I heard that, on Radio 4 I think.

I don't understand the "designer crossbreed" thing. My friend paid a lot of money fro a "cockerdoodle" :rolleyes: and proudly tells me both parents have excellent pedigrees :confused: which seems irrelevant to me as they are different breeds! :D

I annoy her by saying her pup's such a cute mongrel. It's not an insult as I prefer rescued mongrels myself. The last pedigree dog I bought was in 1974. :eek:

melle

Visit site
So £350 is quite a lot then. Ho hum - don't want to be ripped off. Am keeping an eye on local ccharities too but we have to have a puppy as have young child and nervous cat so can't risk an older dog.

FionaM12

Visit site
Advert says 'all relevant health testing for the breeds. (Hip-scoring, heart and eye testing )'

They are spaniel x pointer. We are looking for a pointer type but at £800 + a puppy we cannot justify this. This litter mentioned at priced at £350 each and will not negotiate on price. My father in law has always had gundogs and said he thinks this is really expensive for what is an accidental mating . . . puppies look cute though :p

Spointer? Paniel? Poiniel? Spanter.

I heard about crosses between a Jack Russell and a shih tzu being called a Jack *****. :D:D

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
£350 for an accidental mating?! That's about standard for a purebred spaniel. Bit cheeky to ask that much for an accident. :confused: And both parents just happen to have all relevant tests? :rolleyes: I'd be asking for proof of that.

noodle_

Visit site
my lovely little accident cost me £50 (Springer x collie)

i wouldnt pay over the odds for a cross!!

ours was a donation to her costs - nothing more as the dog got in with the bitch while they were on holiday - bitch was only 11 months :(

Clodagh

Visit site
As everything it is worth £350 if you have that much money and want the puppy enough to pay that much for it!
I don't understand why people (on here mainly) get so cross about people selling crossbreeds as it is entirely up to the buyers as to whether or not to part with their cash, no one makes them.

eatmyshorts

Visit site
I know a pointer/spaniel cross. Lovely sweet dog but not the easiest in the world, especially if just for a pet - she has a tendancy to run away if off lead & barks a lot. Her owners are experienced dog people who work dogs harness (including her), & have others with perfect recall who don't bark, so it's not for want of training.

I think anything over £50 for a crossbreed (which seems to be the new PC description for a mongrel) is a bit of a cheek. When you cross two breeds, potentially you could get either the best or worst traits of the two breeds. And half the time i suspect some just choose the crosses involved to make a cool name. IMHO there are enough pedigree dogs in the country without encouraging even more dogs to be bred (or imported as a recent documentary showed).

OP, don't pay over the odds for a crossbreed - if your heart is set on a pointer, go to a rescue & find yourself a dog. If it is a GSP you are looking for, perhaps you could consider http://www.gsprescue.co.uk/

aintgotnohay

Visit site
As everything it is worth £350 if you have that much money and want the puppy enough to pay that much for it!
I don't understand why people (on here mainly) get so cross about people selling crossbreeds as it is entirely up to the buyers as to whether or not to part with their cash, no one makes them.

i breed westiepoos,minature poodles and westies.im proud of all the puppies i have bred.all my dogs are kc reg.with eye tests etc.i have waiting lists for westiepoos.i sell mine at £300 and that includes injections,insurance,worming defleaing etc.they r all bought up in my house.my puppies dont leave until they r 8 weeks old and have all been health checked by a vet.hybrid dogs have been around for years-but there seem to be alot of new ones coming on the market and i know some people who breed every season and with no health checks.

PorkChop

Visit site
You can get a decent registered springer for £350, and if you are really interested in it's working abilities imho you would be better sticking to a springer or a lab.

Any pointer's I have seen out shooting are a handful :)

ladyt25

Visit site
I think that's rather cheeky asking £350 for an accidental mating! My friend bred two litters from her springer spaniel and all were bagged before they were even born (both times). The stud dog owner had one from one of the litters and the rest were sold for approx the £350 marke I believe. These were pure bred dogs though!

Sorry, but if you're looking for a pointer type, you'd be best off scouring the charities and breed rescues and put your money somewhere worthwhile. Many 'accidental matings' end up in thse places.

As for price, well my rescue was £80 from the Dogs Trust. Funnyily everyone always comments what a lovely looking dog she is - I'd be intrigued to know what her breeding is so I could give her a ridiculous 'breed' name! :)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Bit steep IMO.

Re the health tests, they should be able to show you the hip score sheet/certificate from the BVA. A good breeder should be pushing it into your hand to show you.

ALL puppies are cute :p

Kaylum

Visit site
i breed westiepoos,minature poodles and westies.im proud of all the puppies i have bred.all my dogs are kc reg.with eye tests etc.i have waiting lists for westiepoos.i sell mine at £300 and that includes injections,insurance,worming defleaing etc.they r all bought up in my house.my puppies dont leave until they r 8 weeks old and have all been health checked by a vet.hybrid dogs have been around for years-but there seem to be alot of new ones coming on the market and i know some people who breed every season and with no health checks.

What health tests do your Westies have and what scores are they getting?

melle

Visit site
This is interesting to know as the dog will just be a pet so obedience is essential. A friend I know breeds English pointers and they seem quite biddable and calm - maybe I'm in for a shock.

I can see us ending up with a labrador - they are popular for a reason.

Rescue centres are a bit of a grey area for us since I have a cat, guinea pigs and a 2 year old daughter. A lot of places won't touch us!