Price of dressage horses

Hornby

Visit site
If a horse is shown in the results of Brightwells Stars of the Future sale 21st November as "£5800, make an offer" does that mean it didn't make reserve and bidding stopped at that price? As it appears (I am no Poirot) to be for sale now on Horsequest 5 days later for £12,500
blush.gif
and it's only 3 years old.....how do you assess the value of a dressage horse?

_jetset_

Visit site
It's reserve was quite a bit higher than that...
smile.gif

The amount on the site was the price it reached on the evening not the price he sold for after the event.

wink.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
I was last year... hugely!

I even went to the auction this year and was even more confused... I thought a horse was selling for £14,000 and it was £40,000!!!
grin.gif

zoeshiloh

www.stowmarketanddistrictridingclub.com
One of my friends bought a horse there about four years ago - paid £22,000 for him (or thereabouts, it was over 20k anyway). They got him home, rode him for two years and he turned out to be very disappointing (this was an international rider who is extremely talented so not down to rider error). Anyway, they sold him for £4k in the end. And I think that was as a 6yo/7yo

_DJH_

Visit site
I noticed this horse myself on horsequest. CDS Blof ?
My friend and I looked at this horse and another by the same seller on Thurs prior to the auction - both wildcards. The seller assured us they were not coming back with him so I was surprised that they had a reserve at all. I spoke with the seller again and he said he had put a reserve was £6,000 (hence no sale at £5,800). But remember there will be fees on top of that possibly up to £1,000.
My friend and I would of been interested in this horse but one of the two from this seller had a heart murmur despite being vetted so we decided to leave the pair well alone.

So the horse has now either been bought outside the auction to someone who obviously fancies their chances of making a quick buck or the horse could still be owned by the seller and just based over here while it sells?

I think it is quite telling that:
1. The ridden pictures are the ones of the horse in the brochure - so obviously taken in Holland
2. The video is just showing the horse loose (alarm bells)
3. The price of £12,500 is quite surprising because if the horse failed to achieve 1/2 of that in the highly charged atmosphere (amongst numerous other over inflated price tags) at the auction, I think describing the seller as 'optimistic' would be a fair or perhaps they just like a challenge?

However that said I do think it is a nice horse and maybe the seller would take a sensible offer? Who knows?
I always like to imagine what a horse would be worth if it WASN'T a warmblood? It does annoy me when people really harp on about breeding/bloodlines in geldings too.

_jetset_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
One of my friends bought a horse there about four years ago - paid £22,000 for him (or thereabouts, it was over 20k anyway). They got him home, rode him for two years and he turned out to be very disappointing (this was an international rider who is extremely talented so not down to rider error). Anyway, they sold him for £4k in the end. And I think that was as a 6yo/7yo

[/ QUOTE ]

I can imagine that happening very easily to be honest... But there were some really beautiful horses for sale this year. I fell head over heels for a Johnson mare who was in foal to Ampere
grin.gif
My poor hubby had to fasten my arms to my sides when I saw her!

I also loved the Jazz x Rousseau horse that did now sale... He absolutely blew me away
smile.gif

BAYSCAN

Visit site
Does no-one else think this is quite sad? That poor horse being passed from pillar to post?
I think it absurd that someone can even attempt to sell a horse honestly when they have had it 5 days - how can they know enough about it to be able to tell a buyer, honestly, what it is like?

EDIT To Add: I just read the above post and i suppose that if it is still owned by the original seller, but just based here to sell then they would have a good knowledge of it's nature. But I still think it is very sad for such a young horse, I hope someone nice buys him and gives him a good permenant home. Poor horse!