Price of Grazing Land Per Acre in Your Area

Mithras

Visit site
Please post the rough price per acre of land for purchase for grazing in your area. I just offered £4000 an acre for bare grazing land currently in grass but not the highest quality, with no liklihood of planning permission or anything, not on outskirts of a village, no stables, or shelters - and the response to my selling agents was that it "did not reflect what they felt was the value of land for grazing in the area". So what is the value of grazing land elsewhere?

FairyLights

Visit site
depends on how large the block is. here ,Shropshire /welsh border its about £5,000 and acre if its 60 acres or more if its about 5 acres or less then its £8,000 to £15,000 per acre.

Enfys

Visit site
I got 5K per acre 5 years ago in Dyfed.

For a scabby little field, halfway up a mountain, with no vehicular access and the most godawful neighbours anyone could ever want. Grazing rights on a couple thousand acres of Welsh mountain and open riding just the other side of the gate though.

minigal

Visit site
Totally random! I paid 10k an acre for 3 acres with water, hardstanding and stables. Another plot has been snapped up for £76k for 6 acres plus water and stables, just up the road 2 and 1/4 acres went for 98k but it had a school, water and stables.

I guess it's extremely difficult to put a value on land?

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
6 acres of good grazing near me (as in hay field) with a basic shelter and water I think had an offer of about 100k on it :eek:

I think its about 10k an acre near me - 8 miles north of Leeds in the Leeds-York-Harrogate 'golden triangle' :rolleyes: Land is low lying, rolling and generally pretty rich, although a bit clayey!

be positive

Visit site
Again upwards of £10k, in Somerset, a few years ago prime dairy land made £10k per acre in blocks totalling 100 acres. Small paddocks often well above £20k.

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
There isn't a lot of grassland around me, to be honest. Grade 1/2 arable in large parcels fetches around the £7K mark, you can find some poor grazing for around the same price, but anything half decent or in small parcels would be around £10K

noblesteed

Visit site
£10k + per acre round here (north york moors national park) and you can't even erect a field shelter because of national parks planning rules...

But would still love to find 2-3 acres nearby, Hubby thinks it's a good idea too as a retirement nest-egg for us...

Orangehorse

Visit site
Sitting tenants recently bought agricultural land for £5,000 per acre. Prime farmland in Herefordshire is making up to £10,000, think £7,000-£8,000 for ordinary land. So do the sums, there are a lot more people able to buy small parcels of land.

I would have thought that land with building potential would be more than £25,000.

Zarkaz

Visit site
3.7 acre field near me is for sale for £100000 nothing special doesnt even have fencing the full way road just at the road side no shelters stables or water

The Fuzzy Furry

🦄 🦄
Visit site
About £15k per acre in this part of the woods of NW Surrey, just for a patch of grass.

However, if you add stables then add another £10k min per box to the price.

2 plots adjacent to me where you don't 'have' to do roadwork to hack out:
1 has 2.5 acres with 3 boxes & hay store, water on but no electric, no school etc & the place had a bidders war going on as it was marketed at offers in excess of £80k & it eventually went for £145k!
The other hasn't yet sold - is almost 2 acres into 3 paddocks with 4 stables & tackroom, no power but water is on & thats currently being marketed at offers in excess of £150k :eek:

All on green belt & you'd not get planning for property in a zillion years!

Scarey prices, great for sellers but horrific for buyers!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Around us its about £10k/acre. I offered £10k for half an acre of rough, grassless ground that we stupidly sold years ago and they rejected it - more because they don't want to sell it.

I think its funny that people are shocked/upset that land costs so much. Personally I don't think it does really - most people would happily pay £10k for a car (I wouldn't!) that depreciates to nothing very quickly, yet land lasts forever, can give you free grazing/hay etc, and goes up and up in price...

Echo Bravo

Visit site
And it's going up in Beds/Bucks, not so much land now you know, as much of it sold for building and once it's gone it's gone, give us 20 more years and there will no land really for growing crops and having to buy in from abroad, and then we will be a 3rd rate nation.

jeeve

Visit site
I cannot believe your prices of land. It depends where you are in Australia. Out 2-3 hours from Sydney where you pay farm land prices it may be $3 000 an acre. But here on the outskirts of Sydney it is about $50 000- 60 000 an acre. It is possible to pay more my friend paid $100 000 an acre and part of her property is bush. Another property sold for $200 000 an acre (no house). So count your selves lucky.

Dubsie

Visit site
Berkshire recent sales nearby include 0.8 acre £85K has 1 small industrial bulding was a sub station could become stable, 3 acres about 76K - this is very poor probably gravelly land right next to a motorway full of weeds poor fencing, and 3 or 4 acres decent grazing well fenced on main road but abutting NT land £125K, and there's 2 well fenced tiny paddocks on a main road between main road and old route of main road before they improved it BUT is opposite a school so all the kids would be all over the paddock at letting out time if there was any livestock for £25K, total about 0.8 acre I think. Can't see any of the above plots ever getting PP as they are green gap - well not for 20 years or so at least

BBH

Visit site
Near me,

5 acres sold for a reputed £175k - no amenities at all or fencing

Across from my land last year 4 acres was up for £150k - up an unmade road, no fencing, no buildings , no water or electric sources. Not sure if its sold but apparently agent said lady has sold 2 other plots same size same price.

Totally shocking that some people are prepared to pay these prices but land here is scarce and rarely becomes available.

South Hants.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Berkshire recent sales nearby include 0.8 acre £85K has 1 small industrial bulding was a sub station could become stable, 3 acres about 76K - this is very poor probably gravelly land right next to a motorway full of weeds poor fencing, and 3 or 4 acres decent grazing well fenced on main road but abutting NT land £125K, and there's 2 well fenced tiny paddocks on a main road between main road and old route of main road before they improved it BUT is opposite a school so all the kids would be all over the paddock at letting out time if there was any livestock for £25K, total about 0.8 acre I think. Can't see any of the above plots ever getting PP as they are green gap - well not for 20 years or so at least

Around us, little plots of land that have had substations etc are excluded from the greenbelt as they were industrial, so brownbelt - so much easier to get planning on - hence why they sell for so much..

Cahill

Visit site
land=the 1 thing that is recession proof.

(i have heard that people/farmers are buying it to put in their pension pot.dont know the details though.)

BBH

Visit site
land=the 1 thing that is recession proof.

(i have heard that people/farmers are buying it to put in their pension pot.dont know the details though.)

Its a good investment as there is a finite amount.

Not like housing where you can build into the sky.

Dubsie

Visit site
Around us, little plots of land that have had substations etc are excluded from the greenbelt as they were industrial, so brownbelt - so much easier to get planning on - hence why they sell for so much..

Yes but the part of the plot with the substation is only tiny teeny not big enough for a house, just big enough for 1 stable really, as it was added to the rest of the land. For planning purposes only the substation postage stamp area of it (and it's marked on plans as such) has non-residential use and is brown field

Skyebald

Visit site
I paid £23k almost 2 yrs ago in Monmouthshire for less than 2 acres, roadside access, seems to be rich grazing, gently sloping and only a 5 min walk from my house . My neighbour allows me to use their water as I bought the field from them

appyowner

New User
Visit site
We bought just over 6 acres at auction 7 years ago for £34K, would have got it for £25K but the other bidders got auction fever (we became friendly with them over the years) The land faces south but steep and had no water or electricity. Have since built stables and had it valued 4 years ago for £150k