Price of hay ???

vannersrus

Visit site
I know these treads keep on popping up but would anyone be willing to share how much they are paying in the midlands for hay ? my yard owner has just doubled the cost of our hay:eek: and i'm interste dto know hatothers are being charged ;)
tahnks in advance !

s4sugar

Visit site
I paid £25 per huge (five foot diameter) round bale last summer and have just bought some more from the same farm for £35 per bale.
I don't think that is unreasonable as the farmer has stored it all winter.

Notts/Derbys border.

vannersrus

Visit site
Thanks for that - as we're on livery i've never bought a big bale like that myself - how long would it last you and an average sized horse ?

pansy

Visit site
Just gone up to £28 for a round bale to go in field - this lasts 3horses & a pony about 4 1/2 days small bales are £4 - I know people that are paying a lot more £35 plus for a round bale - we get delivery once a week into field & hay shed so can't really complain - haven't got to go in search of hay and know that we get what we order 52 weeks a year it's just recently gone up to £28 /£4 but I know people that have been paying more than that for along time !!!

vannersrus

Visit site
Thanks for replying Pansy - prices seem so different across the midlands and I'm not sure some people aren't making the most of the market place !;)

Vikki89

Visit site
The farmer I get mine from ran out of large bales of hay so have been getting large round bales of haylage £40 a bale, now he is keeping what he has left for his cows so only selling small hay bales at £5 a bale.

JamesEarwaker

www.jamesearwaker.co.uk
Manged to get some of the last 2010 cut hay small square bales for £3.50 a bale about 2 weeks ago and £30 each for mini quad (square). With the winter we have just had its very much in demand as everyone went short because of using more.

(north notts area for above prices)