Price of Wood Pellets :(

holeymoley

Visit site
I suppose the inevitable with the forecasted Winter ahead but blimmin heck. In January I paid £260 for a full pallet of unbranded wood pellets. Now £399 for a pallet! Does anyone know of anything cheaper about? Or am I going to have to change bedding :confused:

PurBee

Visit site
Same in ireland - i was paying around 280 euro per tonne, now its 380 - plus shipping of between 50-70 on top.

I used it as absorb layer under shavings - using it on its own was too crumbly dusty - mare had it in her eyes after sleeping - hence the shavings topping.
Now its gone up so much in price im sticking with just shavings.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site

holeymoley

Visit site
My bedding supplier does a pallet of unbranded wood pellets for £227.50 plus nationwide delivery. (15kg bags @£6.50.)
Or a bulk bag of 250kg for £90 plus delivery.
This sounds great, could you let me know who your supplier is please ?

I posted pretty much the same thing and got a few responses see link.
https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/wood-pellet-prices.819002/
Just seen it. I could go on to straw but tricky after pellets they are so quick and easy to sift through!

sychnant

Visit site
We swapped to straw pellets and they are better in every way except for one - they are not white and clean looking!

But just as absorbent, slightly easier to muck out, and so much less dusty. We won't be changing back :)

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Try sourcing wood pellet cat litter. It is the same material only cheaper. Most of the supermarkets and bargain stores stock a range priced around £7 for a 15k bag. Sourcing quantity might be a problem though. I use Snowflake wood pellet bedding which has always been reasonable.

Birker2020

Visit site
Try sourcing wood pellet cat litter. It is the same material only cheaper. Most of the supermarkets and bargain stores stock a range priced around £7 for a 15k bag. Sourcing quantity might be a problem though. I use Snowflake wood pellet bedding which has always been reasonable.
I bought two wood pellet cat litter bags from Aldi the other day that I need to put down and I will report back and see if they last the three weeks like the 'horse wood pellets'. Hard to compare prices against weight, not sure what 10L weighs in wood chip, I think they were around £3.65 a bag max 2 per customer, we could actually get 6 because we have three lots of shopping on three separate cards.
1658493699646.png

MickeyFinn22

Visit site
We swapped to straw pellets and they are better in every way except for one - they are not white and clean looking!

But just as absorbent, slightly easier to muck out, and so much less dusty. We won't be changing back :)

hiya! I’m looking for bedding for my horse (this will be my first winter with him!) Do you prefer straw pellets to wood pellets and have you ever had any issues with horses eating straw pellets?

sychnant

Visit site
Definitely prefer the straw pellets, and one pony tried them on the first day, spat them back out and hasn't tried again! One other spooked because her bed looked different (!) and the third didn't even notice :D

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Having searched about on Google I haven’t seen straw or miscanthus pellets any cheaper than wood pellets once VAT and delivery charges are included. Has anyone spotted any significantly cheaper?