Prices - would you be wary?

MizElz

Visit site
Next April/May time, I am looking to get a puppy. Generally, pups of the breed im looking for sell for between £650 and £800, so this is the sort of thing I'm looking to have to pay. However, I saw an ad the other day - i think it was London-based - and there was a litter for sale with boys £400, girls £450. they looked sweet pups, but I was stunned by the price difference - they were pedigree, KC registered, wormed, mum and dad both available to see, etc, so it didnt make sense why they were so comparitively cheap.
Would you ever enquire in an instance like this, or would you leave alone? I'm only thinking ahead; I've never bought a pup of my own before so all advice is appreciated!

laugh.gif

HeatherAda

Visit site
I'd be a little wary but probably enquire.

One thing though, if you do go and visit and say the home isn't good don't let your heart rule your head and don't take a pup if you feel sorry for it. rewarding dodgy breeders will only see them carrying on breeding.

MizElz

Visit site
Completely agree with you there.

I know a lady who has had two dogs from puppy farms in wales. She buys them because they're cheaper, and because she thinks she is doing good by saving them, but in actual fact, she's playing straight into the farmers' hands.
frown.gif

Onyxia

Visit site
It could be that the breeder thinks that is a fair price for the pups, could be the lines are not very good and reflected in price or it could be that there is something dodgy.

I would definatly go and look if you would be interisted in gettign one,but be ready to walk away(OH on strict instructions to tell me off works for me
grin.gif
)

amandathepanda

Visit site
Could it be they are just a private breeder who breeds occasionally for fun? I had a lovely black lab that was v cheap from a private breeder, KC registered and I saw both parents. She wasn't show quality but was such a lovely pet and perfect with small children.

MizElz

Visit site
i did wonder this....we bred from our lab 5 years ago, and the prices we charged were less than you would expect to pay to a professional breeder. So its entirely feasible i guess! i cant wait to go puppy hunting....must wait till xmas is over tho!
tongue.gif

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
Depends on the breed, the parents, how many litters the breeder has, etc etc. I wouldn't be weary of the price but would go and look with an open mind. I would only go through the kennel clubs if you are looking for a KC dog.

Here is the link:

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/asp/PSAR/

My Puppy cost £850, but for his breed and pedigree that's fairly normal. Puppies can go over £1,000 and a good stud dog with rare lines is almost priceless.
smile.gif

prose

Visit site
They are so cute
grin.gif

I would be a little wary, but then I tend to have the view that my dog will either be a rescue mutt or the offspring of champion/performance/health-tested parents.

At the very least, I would ask about disc disease in her breeding lines, and proof of an OFA patella exam having been performed on the parents.

Paying a bit more up front is worth it, IMO. Boston Terriers (my breed) are prone to luxating patellas, juvenile cataracts and deafness, if the dog has incorrect white markings on the head. I got a health-tested dog from a great breeder, and *fingers crossed* she is now 4.5 and fit as a fiddle.

GinaB

Visit site
*whispers* I am considering a Boston Terrier for when I get my own house. It's all Stella's fault! (I couldn't uproot Beastie, at her age it wouldn't be fair hence buying my own)

MizElz

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I would enquire personally. Just me being wary.

Where did you see them advertised just out of interest?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think it was on epupz!

grin.gif

thank you everyone for your advice! another thing...if im looking to actually get the pup in april (when i finish uni), when should I start looking in earnest? should i be ringing round to see who is expecting litters, or wait until february and then look at advertisments?

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We got our lab cheap (even though she has good lines) as the parents hadn't been hip/eye scored. A risk we're willing to take. Nuaghty I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh see thats probably why I'd be dubious, someone I know breeds Inuits and I know for a fact that one of his bitches has a hip score of nearly 50 and another is over 40 (at between 1 and 2 y.o), max we allow is 15 with the BIDC society. Yes he keeps his pups and bitches well but hip displacia is only around a score of 90
crazy.gif

I'm sure your lab will be fine!

severnmiles

Visit site
Epupz are usually pretty good! They don't allow puppy farmers and also you can report badly kept litters/dogs. However I know of one dodgy breeder on there!

prose

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
*whispers* I am considering a Boston Terrier for when I get my own house. It's all Stella's fault! (I couldn't uproot Beastie, at her age it wouldn't be fair hence buying my own)

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif
laugh.gif

Hurrah! Absolutely fantastic decision--you won't regret it at all.

Be prepared to pay top dollar, though. Unlike in the US, Bostons are an incredibly rare breed in the UK. My only ever sighting was of these three beauties at Badminton this year. (And yes, I did do a girly scream when I saw them
grin.gif
)

2vl1lq8.jpg

Onyxia

Visit site
I you are definatly wanting a purebred I personaly would ring around and pick a breeder ASAP.
Well worth paying the extra couple of hundred to know the pup comes from a good breeder
laugh.gif

ETS esp if you have your heart set on a certain colour, many breeders will let you "register intrest" and give you a ring when a litter with type of pup you are looking for is born.

MizElz

Visit site
cool.gif
i will keep an eye on epupz then!

btw....can i just say your Inuits are truly stunning....I've been trying to persuade my aunt to think of one, but she's reluctant to give up her GSDs!
smile.gif

GinaB

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif
laugh.gif

Hurrah! Absolutely fantastic decision--you won't regret it at all.

Be prepared to pay top dollar, though. Unlike in the US, Bostons are an incredibly rare breed in the UK. My only ever sighting was of these three beauties at Badminton this year. (And yes, I did do a girly scream when I saw them
grin.gif
)

2vl1lq8.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL at girly scream! Just you wait til I get my own house (looking next year) You'll be inudated with BT questions!
grin.gif

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
cool.gif
i will keep an eye on epupz then!

btw....can i just say your Inuits are truly stunning....I've been trying to persuade my aunt to think of one, but she's reluctant to give up her GSDs!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks
smile.gif
So was I...loved my GSD's! But I coudln't cope with how down hill and loopy they'd get when older. Heidi is only 9 and her hips are going, she's gone slightly loopy and nutty too
frown.gif
They're less hyper than Gsd's which I prefer too.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I always used to have a waiting list for my GSD puppies, so I would definitely start looking now. Re the price, when I stopped showing my stock I asked less for puppies than the winning exhibitors were asking, but I do think generally you get what you pay for. Certainly in breeds with hereditary problems it is worth paying a bit more for puppies whose parents have had all the necessary screenings. I do agree with you re Severnmistletoes Inuits, tho you would never wean me from my beloved GSDs. SM, altho I have had some heartache with Shepherds going off their hindlegs (this is usually a horrible condition called CDRM, which is often confused with bad hips)I have to say have never had them go particularly loopy with old age! I currently have a nearly 13 year old (who is deaf but not loopy) a 10 year old and a 7 year old. Think I will have to go down the puppy line soon.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Ha ha snap - just posted on this, didn't see yours! Have seen a few a bit cheaper, saying they are more concerned about having good homes for the pups... do let me know if you can recommend anyone!
laugh.gif

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
[ QUOTE ]

thank you everyone for your advice! another thing...if im looking to actually get the pup in april (when i finish uni), when should I start looking in earnest? should i be ringing round to see who is expecting litters, or wait until february and then look at advertisments?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are wanting a pure bred KC dog the ring round ASAP. Some have waiting lists. The waiting lists for tollers at the minute are about a year and a half.
smile.gif