Pricking irons

C1airey

Visit site
Where can I find a good 1” wide 10spi pricking iron? Blanchard are appealing, but someone told me the metric/imperial conversion is a bit off, so they might not be exactly 10spi. I need it for exam pieces, so it needs to be accurate. Having watched one of their crew punches buckle on its first use, I’m disinclined to buy from Abbey. Other suggestions?

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Some pretty good pricking irons on ebay to be had, some people selling don't even know what they are and sell dirt cheap and some are calling thonging chisels pricking irons!
Got a martingale groover for £13 on there , Abbey charge over £100 :)
I refuse to use abbey in any shape or form now and source raw materials and tools etc from elsewhere, even making some of my own.
Oz

C1airey

Visit site
I hadn’t thought of searching under thonging chisels, I might try that now! I never seem to hit the eBay gold with tools that other people do... 😕

pansymouse

Visit site
I've bought all bar one of mine second hand on eBay. I like the older ones better they make finer holes generally. Shame you don't want a 1/2" 10 - I've got a couple spare from mixed lot purchases.

C1airey

Visit site
Too late, Oz. An hour I won’t get back!

I have a half inch 10. I don’t get on with it particularly well, but it’ll do the job for now. I think tools were easier to come by on eBay before Dixon’s shut down. People seem to be hanging on to them now.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
I have lots of dixons tools, my 6inch spring splitting machine and 6 inch plough gauge are worth a small fortune now.
I hope you find the prcking iron you need, I got a 13 to the inch (1 1/2" wide) in an antigue shop for a few quid.
Sometimes you find them at steam rallies in the summer, some of the sellers are not sure what they are so you can often get them for a good price. Complete set of large wad punches at one steam rally set me back £3 :)
I've just looked at leprevo, they only do up to 8 per inch in pricking irons so a non starter there unfortunately.
Oz