Private lesson for a new beginner

Grajo

Visit site
Some of you already know who I am - that I've introduced myself a little over 2 weeks ago. As you know I've had my assessment day and also had my 30 minutes "Walkout" day last Tuesday.

I've booked for my 1st "real" private lesson for this Wednesday (as far as I've reserved the slot), but I do not know what to expect from the very 1st lesson at Portsmouth's Fort Widley Equestrian Centre. You see I haven't receive anything about my lessons - no lesson plan, no nothing. I had the feeling that they haven't prepared for my forthcoming lessons. Is that normal? I do not want to be asked like "What do you want to learn?"

mini_b

Visit site
They don’t normally ask what you would like to work on unless you can already ride a bit (sorry if this isn’t the case with you)

they will assess you and decide what needs worked on before you can progress to the next bit.

have to say I’ve never been given a lesson plan from a riding school. and as for the preparation? They don’t really; just work with the horse and rider in front of them. Unless you’re aiming for GP next week I wouldn’t worry about the lack of structure, relax and enjoy it!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
You're a complete beginner, no lesson plan or pre planning is needed other than for them to have a horse suitable for an adult complete beginner to ride.

There's not much nuance to early lessons, it's about time with your bum in a saddle to learn independent balance on a moving horse.

paddy555

Visit site
I doubt they will ask what do you want to learn. To ride a horse is pretty obvious.
There cannot be a lesson plan because no one can know what will happen when you get on a horse. Will you have perfect balance, be totally confident and able to ride off almost from the start or, after 30 mins, will you still be holding onto the front of the saddle desperately trying to stay on the horse whilst it is led.

`riding for a beginner is not like any other subject where there is a plan, you learn things and then at the end there is a recap etc.
It all depends on your own physical and mental ability once on a live horse and for that everyone is different. Until they see what you are capable of they cannot determine how your lesson will go. I expect every total beginner gets a different lesson based on how well they cope. Enjoy the lesson.

Grajo

Visit site
Just remember I did Polo Experience Day 6 years ago in Argentina (on my 1st ever sat) where the horse RAN!! I did not have any problems with it and with my balance. I know horse riding isn't the same as on polo horse. Horses are bigger than Argentine pony by 1-2 hands!

ycbm

Visit site
One polo experience day on holiday 6 years ago doesn't make you a rider.

You're in stage 1 of the competence model, Graham, you don't know what you don't know. Please go to your first proper lesson with an open mind and humility or the horse might swiftly teach you some (and it might hurt!).

muddybay

Visit site
You might find riding school horses very different to Argentinian ponies! They'll test your riding in very different ways and make you actually have to kick a lot more ;)

Parrotperson

Visit site
Some of you already know who I am - that I've introduced myself a little over 2 weeks ago. As you know I've had my assessment day and also had my 30 minutes "Walkout" day last Tuesday.

I've booked for my 1st "real" private lesson for this Wednesday (as far as I've reserved the slot), but I do not know what to expect from the very 1st lesson at Portsmouth's Fort Widley Equestrian Centre. You see I haven't receive anything about my lessons - no lesson plan, no nothing. I had the feeling that they haven't prepared for my forthcoming lessons. Is that normal? I do not want to be asked like "What do you want to learn?"

yoyr instructor will see what needs to be done as she/he teaches you. This is how’s it’s done. Especially for a beginner.
When you are more advanced you may say ‘ I’d like to work on….’ But at the moment you don’t know as you have no experience. Leave it to your instructor for now.
In time your instructor will say ‘today we will be…..’

But. Bear in mind horses aren’t machines! Nor are people! You might start on one thing but finish on something else.

go with the flow. It’ll be fine.

ycbm

Visit site
I never said I am a rider!!!

True, but your posts seem to suggest "how difficult can this be, I've already cantered (been run about with) and not fallen off a polo pony? ".

And the answer to that question is - to get it right and cause the least possible problem to the horse - very difficult, takes years to get it half way right..

What were you expecting in the way of a lesson plan?

ArklePig

Visit site
It's perfectly normal when starting the basics. You might have great balance, or you might struggle with keeping your heels down, or you might not. All they can do is assess what's in front of them and see where to start. It will probably be a while before they ask what you want to do. And to be fair, sometimes my instructor asks what I'd like to do and I say things like 'I'd like to not cry with frustration today'.

I hope it goes well, just be open and receptive and don't worry if it doesn't click-I was a good rider when I was younger, and even returning as an adult I sometimes feel like everything is new.
Keep us posted with your progress, good luck!

teapot

Visit site

I don't know any centres that would send out a lesson plan pre lesson. Teaching staff sometimes don't know who they're teaching until they arrive at work that day (depending on booking systems they use). My coaches can check in advance because of the system we use, but certainly wouldn't be contacting clients or passing on lesson plans (coaching plans come in much later, eg for exam training, comp prep etc). The coach will know your level and beginner teaching plans are fairly generic. Learning to walk, trot, canter, perhaps pop a fence is the first step, then the fun starts!

That said, with my local knowledge of Widley, I can sense from your posts already you'd be better off going somewhere with far better teaching provision and standards - Quob or Lavant would be my suggestions, especially if you wanted to work towards something like BHS challenge awards :)

Last edited:

Cowpony

Visit site
I've been having lessons for the last 20 years, now have my own horse and compete at affiliated dressage. My instructors now ask me what I'd like to work on, but that's only happened in the last couple of years. And although we might start working on what I described, we'll probably end up working on something the instructor has noticed isn't quite right.

Just go with the flow and accept whatever the instructor decides, at this stage.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
You're thinking too much, Grajo.

After eight years I'm still at a stage where if I concentrate too hard on what my legs are doing, I don't pay enough attention to my hands and the instructor doesn't mince his words.

Yet I can canter through the forest, ducking low branches and jumping over fallen trees and big puddles...

Riding is a vast subject, and you'll only scratch the surface in the next five years.

Last edited:

Kaylum

Visit site
You maybe taught how to mount correctly, check your girth and how to do your stirrups. How the horse walks , steers and stops. Your position and the aids you need to use. You maybe shown the markers in the school, the centre line etc and school rules.

How to dismount, run up your stirrups and make the horse comfortable.

These are all maybes

Charley657

Visit site

Bless you, that is perfectly normal but did give me a laugh. Your instructor will start from the beginning with you and take you through the basics and it will also depend on your natural ability. My little sister cantered her first and only lesson (took me a lot longer) and my instructor took great delights to tell me she had the most natural seat she had ever seen. It was the only lesson she had and she never cared to go back but that isn't normal but you might get to trot.

Whatever happens, I hope you enjoy it.

blitznbobs

Visit site
If you want to do some prep have a look at some exercises to open up the range of movement in your hips and do some core workouts... will help in the long run but probably not on your first lesson

littleshetland

Visit site
Once you get the hang of the very basics (there will be no lesson plan for this) you will soon discover that every horse you're going to ride in the future will be an individual, each one will be different from the last, and in time (if ever really!) you will learn that the basics will always apply, but you have to adjust your technique to one degree or another to suit that particular horse your sitting on. It's a lifetime of learning and gaining experience ahead of you...and highly addictive! Have fun, be patient, stay humble and remember horses are great levellers.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Everyone starts learning at the same place by working to master the basics of position and the basic ABC a of how it all works .
You really can’t forecast with an adult how long that will take. ( it’s easier with children ).
The trainers objective is the same with everyone at this stage to get you balancing independently on the horse and learning to move with the horse .
I would hope they would start you on the lunge .
They won’t ask you what you want to learn because the beginning it should be a slog to learn position .
How long it takes depends on how naturally confident you are how and much natural balance you have in adults it is very difficult to gauge how long it will take of course how often you go makes a big difference .
Please check that you are at a good school who have horses who they can use for lunge lessons and that the trainer is qualified and starts off lots of riders .
Everyones first objectives are the same to learning the basics of handling and being around horses safely , to begin to learn how to think with the horse, and to learn how to stay on its back .
You also need to learn a lot stuff at first like the parts of saddle and bridle and what it’s all for, what all the points of the horse are called the sequence the horse uses his legs in the different gaits etc etc .The BHS used to have books that went along with stage 1 and 2 if they still do I would get them.
The BHS stages 1 and 2 are good objectives in achieving the basics and I would say that usually BHS approved schools are best places to learn .
Have fun check in and let us know how it’s going .

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I predict problems for the teacher.

A little humility goes a long way.

I would not have put it quite like this, but I understand where Lois Lame is coming from and will try to explain, so you don't view it as an attack.

In many things, you can 'push through' to master something. Put effort in, try harder, etc. With horses though, it is a different kind of skill. There is a third being in there with you and the trainer. One who does not communicate with words. One where 'trying hard' is actually a drawback, and 'allowing' things to happen is much more productive, having set things up so the right thing can happen. It is where the line between riders who want to get on and go fast is drawn from those who want to get into the art of riding as opposed to the mechanics. The art of riding includes many things, including; emptying your mind; lowering your tensions and losing the ego so you can feel the horse's thoughts, through their energy levels, their tensions, their breathing.

It is what makes it fascinating to me.

Walking a circle 'with' the horse, to improve the communication and way of going is wayyyy harder, requires more concentration and even physical control and effort, than going for a blast through the forest for a laugh would.

The trainer won't have a clue as yet as to how you are able to lose the ego and empty your mind. I 'liked' the above comment as I too feel the trainer is on a loser, as you are going in with your own fixed ideas, that may take several sessions to loosen.

IME, to truly learn with a horse, you have to be able to empty the mind, to communicate an several levels at once. Otherwise, for me, I may as well be learning to ride a motorbike. Which, to be fair, is equally physically exhilarating, and loads cheaper.

Cutgrass

Visit site
As others have said there won't be much to plan for a first lesson, but if you're concerned I'd give them a call and ask what to expect.

I've led adult beginners while helping out at RS and usually the lesson involves getting to know what various bit of the horse and tack and called and do, a bit of walk and trot, testing and developing balance, learning to change the rein and maybe starting to rise in trot. Again, as others have said, it all depends on the rider in front of the instructor on the day.

It's great if you can stay on a horse, but there's a huge difference between being able to stay on and starting to develop a proper seat for riding, from which you'll be able to go on and do all sorts with. Good luck with your lesson.

Skib

sites.google.com
. It was the only lesson she had and she never cared to go back but that isn't normal but you might get to trot.

The same happened to my most athletic grand daughter. The staff girl doing lead out thought the child was fine and had her trot lots, but the trotting scared her and put her off for life. Among adults, it seems to be young men who get put off by being asked to canter too soon.

Goldenstar

Visit site
One of the issues with teaching adults is they often think they can intellectualise the process now to extent you can but learning a physical skill as adult requires physical dedication not just mental and since the pupil does not know how to do it and the trainer does the ability to give yourself up to a process is important .

numptynovice

Visit site
I’ve never been told in advance anything about my lesson and I wouldn’t expect it. Certainly not as a complete beginner.

I now might discuss with the instructor what I’m wanting to work on next time, or what we might be doing, but usually I just turn up and go with what they have planned. The lesson will be dependent on the horse you’re riding on that day and how you and the horse get on. You will learn something different from each horse you ride. I’ve been riding for 6 years but sometimes I’ll still spend the lesson in walk until I’m comfortable I’ve got the “feel” for a new horse. The more sensitive horses tend to reveal all your weaknesses and it can feel like you’re starting again! If that happens we focus on working on the weakness in my riding that the horse has revealed. You have to go with the flow.

numptynovice

Visit site
One of the issues with teaching adults is they often think they can intellectualise the process now to extent you can but learning a physical skill as adult requires physical dedication not just mental and since the pupil does not know how to do it and the trainer does the ability to give yourself up to a process is important .

So true!