Prix Caprili?

sasquatch

Visit site
So have managed to get into one of the teams for Colours and found out today, however I'll be doing Prix Caprili.

I have never heard of this before, I've looked over the test briefly but have no idea as to how it is marked and what they look for. An American friend of mine said it's like a similar, basic version of EQ classes.

I would prefer to be jumping (as that's what I do) but will jump at any chance to give anything a go! I know I really need to break my boots in so I can actually ride (I hate wearing them so after 2 years, they're still not soft and they've still not dropped) but I'm a bit worried with how precise/how they mark as my position is not necessarily always 'good' and I can't always keep a horse round especially on transitions - I have got a lot better at it but I'll be riding a horse I've never ridden before too.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I can't remember the detail of how it's scored, other than there is a good emphasis on rider ability and effectiveness and not just on the horse's way of going. The fences are very simple and you can refuse them and still not be eliminated.

I haven't done Prix Caprilli since I was on uni teams in the 80s!! Really good fun although we kept having to go to Scotland as for some reason NI was plonked into their "area". I'm still really good friends with my fellow team-mates from back then.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Used to do in years ago when I was a kid in the local riding club.

It was basically like a dressage test with 2 tiny jumps in it, one to be jumped in trot, one in canter. The difference was that it was marked for riding rather than paces/training so you could be on quite a green or difficult horse and beat more established ones is your riding was better.

Britestar

Visit site
Basically a dressage test with two small jumps in the arena.
Not more than 2ft tall.
I love PC and was delighted when I found one of the online dressage sites run one each month.
I've entered a good few times on dressage4all. My older horse loves it, a wee jump in his dressage = smiley pony!

Shay

Visit site
Its really rare to see Prix caprilli these days! It is really just a dressage test. The marks are shown in the course diagram. There are two small cross poles sited in the arena which you take as part of an established dressage test. How your boots fit should be completely irrelevant. Its a dressage test - its marked on how the horse goes.

sasquatch

Visit site
Its really rare to see Prix caprilli these days! It is really just a dressage test. The marks are shown in the course diagram. There are two small cross poles sited in the arena which you take as part of an established dressage test. How your boots fit should be completely irrelevant. Its a dressage test - its marked on how the horse goes.

My boots are incredibly stiff, which does impact my riding so I'll need to soften then up lol.

ooh, actually sounds like it'll be good fun! shame more isn't around as if it's more the rider that's judged on effectiveness it may actually have suited B when he was sound!

Seville

Visit site
Like others, I used to ride this years ago. Two small jumps at E and B, one in trot, one in canter. I would think the biggest problem now would be to find a judge who knows how to mark it correctly.

SEL

Visit site
Blast from the past! I actually won one of these on a little jumping pony called Paddy. Probably got bonus marks for staying in control as he was well known for tanking off with me if there were jumps about!

Mule

Visit site
Getting to jump during a dressage test would be my horse's idea of fun. I must have a go.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I think it is a shame it has gone out of fashion. Our PC area is the only one in the UK which runs a Prix Caprilli competition. I do like the fact that it is judged on the rider not on the horse.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I am doing my first prix Caprilli intro test next Saturday at a local riding club dressage day. They have 2 more advanced tests but our canter is not yet balanced enough. The marking takes into account maintaining rhythm before and after the pole/jump and riders style over jump. I just hope my horse takes it in his stride as he can see poles as fire eating dragons when the mood takes him.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site

unless it has changed it was always marked on the rider, mostly position, effectiveness, way of presenting to the jump, and riding the test correctly....so not marked as a pure dressage test although it helps if the horse cooperates....

sasquatch

Visit site
well the big day is tomorrow!

the test itself I *think* I know, I've drawn it all out like the BD dressage diagrams so hope I've got it right.

it involves trotting in, halt and salute, rising trot track right, 20m trot circle right, sitting trot, jumping 2 jumps (1 trot, 1 canter) as you change the rein, 20m trot circle left, change rein and 2 more jumps, canter a lap of the arena, change rein in trot, canter another lap, then trot up centre line, walk at x, halt and salute. or at least I think it does, with remembering when I have sitting trot being the next problem :D

I'm doing it through uni so not sure what test they use, hopefully I'll get some photos and will let you know how I get on! Must remember shoulders back, thumbs on top, heels down and whatever I do, keep the horse active and round lol